Robjh's wee tour of the Highlands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Oh and don't waste the Gin unless you are drinking it:okay:
Don't drink and cycle, that's the key. Get off the bike first then get sloshed:popcorn:

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Enjoy Rob. Have to say that my freewheeling adventure is one of the best things I've ever done .... And still no midge action here in the outer Hebrides.
Weather changes very quickly and can still be cold. Independent hostels are ace!

A qurstion for you @Fab Foodie : have you been asked for photo ID at hostels? The first hostel turned me away and refunded my money as I had no driving licence, passport etc to show them. Gone a bit upmarket now and have got a bed for the night (single room!), but I hope it's not going to be a general problem.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
have you been asked for photo ID at hostels?
Yes, we have on our recent tour, but we were told this would happen at the time of booking.
Only the person that booked was asked for ID.
I cycled home from work this evening at 7 in a tee shirt, btw, sitting now with all windows plus back door open ^_^

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
That was a good first day - a long ttain ride with a window seat, passing Durham cathedral, Holy Island, and many views out to sea. Had some shenanngans with the hostel I'd booked but all resolved with another room nearby and at least I should get a good sleep
I then spent 5 hours riding round Edinburgh looking at famous and less famous sights, views and general streetscapes. It's a striking place that looks every bit one of the great European historic cities.
But this evening was rainy and quite chilly - and oh those cobbles!
Still, I got out as far as Leith, and did a circuit of the road around Arthur!s Seat in the dark, clocking up 18 miles in all,

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Much of Edinnburgh looked like this when I ventured from the hostel
20160731_175926.jpg

iandg

Legendary Member
Much of Edinnburgh looked like this when I ventured from the hostel
View attachment 137176

It was just down there that someone offered me drugs - quite flattered as a 50+ year old.

AnneW

Über Member
Fine dining, Edinburgh 2016
View attachment 137177

That photo reminds me of our first trip to Edinburgh, a lifetime ago. We arrived late in the evening and couldn't find anywhere to eat (not in our price range anyway). In desperation we went in a pub on Rose Street and asked if he knew anywhere we could get some food - he offered to microwave a scotch pie and beans for us.... tasted fabulous :smile:

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Nope, nothing. Just as well as I have no ID with me other than a credit card. Maybe you're looking shifty?
I suspect it's a big city thing. They have a huge international turnover of guests and said the id was to protect them if things went missing. Anyone, possibly a lucky escape as hostel no.1 looked a bit too yoofy for me. As it was, Edinburgh's young seemed to be partying below my window rather than in my dorm last night.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I suspect it's a big city thing. They have a huge international turnover of guests and said the id was to protect them if things went missing. Anyone, possibly a lucky escape as hostel no.1 looked a bit too yoofy for me. As it was, Edinburgh's young seemed to be partying below my window rather than in my dorm last night.
The YHA in England require photo ID nowadays, I would expect the SYHA would too. Independent hostels may well not though.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Now at Comrie Croft campsite in Strathearn. Day 2 involved another lightning bike tour of Edinburgh, then crossing the Forth Bridge (v good), through Dunfermline (don't bother) then a small hill section across to Gleneagles. It's been quite gentle countryside so far that reminds me of mid Wales, but the Highlands start today as I head for Crianlarich and points west.
20160801_123903.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom