Robjh's wee tour of the Highlands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Stayed in Comrie on a recent holiday and got a few rides done in the area. Comrie Croft looked an excellent facility but never got chance to visit.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Now at Comrie Croft campsite in Strathearn. Day 2 involved another lightning bike tour of Edinburgh, then crossing the Forth Bridge (v good), through Dunfermline (don't bother) then a small hill section across to Gleneagles. It's been quite gentle countryside so far that reminds me of mid Wales, but the Highlands start today as I head for Crianlarich and points west.
View attachment 137347
Just a few miles away from me in Crieff. It's looking very overcast but I think you should be ok until around teatimeish before any rain arrives. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Bad news today, which may spell the end of this tour. Out on a beautiful but very quiet road my rear hub suddenly seized up. Hard to explain exactly but one locknut seemed to be tightening ever harder into the hub, and forcing the other one out the other side so that the wheel effectively shifted sidewards along the axle until the wheel hit the stays and wouldn't turn. The hub itself was near immovable too. Yeeuch.
I shouldered my luggage and somehow front-wheeled the bike for a couple of miles, hoping to reach the next village and rail line some 4 miles away, but it was hard. Eventually a saviour appeared in the form of Marko heading my way in his van, and he took me all the way to Mallaig where I had a hostel booked. What a star.
Now found out Mallaig has no bike shop and i need to catch train back to Fort William tomorrow. However I fear the hub may not be repairable, and barring them having the perfect touring wheel in the shop, it looks like home time for me.
And just as it was getting really good!

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Campsite at Glencoe, between the downpours
20160803_084521.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Shame for the mechanic mishap, hope you can solve it!
I am enjoying reading this, the Loch Rannoch moor is awesome, did you see any deer?

AnneW

Über Member
Love that area in all weathers, stunning.

Really sorry about your bike, big up for Marko giving you a lift. Fingers crossed that Fort William bike shop can fix it abd you can continue, I'm enjoying following your trip.

Enjoy that train ride over.

TrishE

Über Member
A qurstion for you @Fab Foodie : have you been asked for photo ID at hostels? The first hostel turned me away and refunded my money as I had no driving licence, passport etc to show them. Gone a bit upmarket now and have got a bed for the night (single room!), but I hope it's not going to be a general problem.

When I stayed in the Manchester youth hostel earlier this year I didn't have photo Id with me but they accepted my bank card (I had already paid online). I can't believe you were turned away that's terrible.

Hope you can continue your trip :smile:

Top Bottom