Robjh's wee tour of the Highlands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I've just bought my return train tickets to Inverness for this Sunday 31st July, so now there's no going back.
After a protracted struggle with Virgin East Coast website and customer services I have reserved cycle spaces as far as Edinburgh. This was so convoluted that it defeated the booking staff at my local station.
I've booked a £13 bed in a hostel in Edinburgh for Sunday night. It may be great or I may be kept awake all night by partying multi-national teens, but it is central, it offers bike parking and gives me a chance for a bit of sightseeing in Scotland's capital.

Then next day: no-one has been able to tell me if my onward train ticket to Inverness will be valid after a break of journey, so I will either carry on by train to Inverness, or make new plans. Either way, the adventure really starts there.

I've got a tent with me and some anti-midge stuff, but have found the Scottish Independent Hostels website which might be life savers on rainy or bitey nights. As for destinations, I'll be heading north-west, and hope at least to cross Bealach na Ba, and could conceivably reach Cape Wrath. Or not. I have 10 or so days and no need to fix my plans too far in advance.

Anyway, just off to start packing.

Look forward to reading your escapades.

I love that. Way back when, the only way to find those places was by word of mouth from fellow travellers or getting hold of a fabled printed guide which I once managed to do and which freed me from the impossibility of booking SYHA hostels in August. There's some cracking hostels there. Some of them look so interesting I'd plan a tour around them. I'd love to spend a night on Iona for instance and look around in peace rather than fight my way through the coachloads.

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
The best thing is Avon's Skin so Soft as recommended by the British Army

Smidge

They even do a 'midge' forecast

edit: Seems to work OK in the Western Isles, but when I gave my small travel sample to Bill Plumtree of the other place he commented that it wasn't as effective in the denser midge infested area of Fort William.

Last edited:
OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Had to renew a few bits of gear for the trip. These are my old and new stoves. I've always gone for these minimalist little contraptions as they are so small and light, and have never had much cause to complain. After 22 years service the old one was past its prime. Solid fuel tablets on the right.
20160729 stoves.jpg

gasinayr

Über Member
The latest midge repellent is Gin, yes Gin, rub some over your skin and if any left drink it.
Something to do with the juniper berries ( i think ) that midges don't like
Hope the weather is kind to you, have a blast

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Have a great tour, Rob :thumbsup:

The latest midge repellent is Gin, yes Gin, rub some over your skin and if any left drink it.
Something to do with the juniper berries ( i think ) that midges don't like
Hope the weather is kind to you, have a blast
Thanks all for the good wishes

Midges like everything. Ditch the tent, hit the hostels, Rob. Once you've been eaten once you will remember these words.
My experience may yet prove you right. I will be reporting back.
I've printed out 2 different maps of hostels/bunkhouses all across W Scotland just in case.

The bike is now loaded up and looking mysteriously heavily laden for such a short trip. I put it down to :
- a tent takes up more room than a bivvy bag
- I have head-to-toe waterproofs packed
- I have extra clothes in case of cold weather

Also my new Ortlieb rear panniers pack narrower but higher than my old Altura ones so it may just exaggerate the difference in my eyes.

Top Bottom