Robust Tyre Levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
These are the ones I've been using for years;

IMG_20190829_123026.jpg

The Michelin was a freebie, the plastic blue/black marked "A product of Rojen B Patented" and the metal one PMD Made in England. All excellent but I prefer to use the two plastic ones.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Only me then?

villeroy-boch-Sereno-Coffee-spoon-140mm-30.jpg

PapaZita

Guru
Park tools are, IMHO, overrated, overpriced and, regrettably, over here.

In general, I agree. For the non-bike specific tools, like spanners, hex keys, screwdrivers, etc., I think you're much better off going to a good general purpose tool manufacturer. I still have several Park tools, for bike-specific things. They're widely available, and good enough, on the whole. Except for their cone spanners, which I thought were rubbish. But I do *love* their Master Spoke Wrench!

Their blue tyre levers, I must say, have been fine, and my one set is going strong after more than ten years. I remember, without any fondness whatsoever, the cheap black plastic ones that I had before, which would sometimes bend double before pinging off and hitting me in the eye.

Sharky

Guru
I've got plastic ones, but my preference is a set of three alloy ones, which came from Halfords!
And they have the hook thing to keep it in place by hooking a spoke. Never let me down whereas the plastic ones brake sometimes.

And when refitting the tyre, always do by hand without levers (well all most every time)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Another vote for Tacx. I've had mine for ten years and they've never failed. Both the lever and hook ends are really substantial.
IMG_1023.JPG

Sharky

Guru
That's now SO old. I used to do that in the 70s. And I'm pretty sure I must have got it from Richard (Ballantyne)'s Bicycle Book because that's where I learned everything about bikes. I didn't have any other teacher.

My Dad showed me how to do it in the late 50's and he used that method before WW2.
I was quick to buy the proper tool after my attempts with a punch.

Top Bottom