Robust Wheels For Heavier Riders- Deeper Section?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

I've decided to keep my Giant TCR Di2 as my do it all and wet bike. I am in the market for some new 700C rim brake road bike wheels and would welcome your opinions on makes/variants.

I want to try and overcome flexing when under load such as corners or out of the saddle climbs and sprints.

- Suitable for heavier riders, I weigh 85-90Kg (varies). So the stronger and less flexible under load they are, the better.
- Not fussed about weight so, all aluminium or aluminium/carbon mix is fine.
- Ideally have a profile between the 30-45 rim depth range would be nice
- The more fit and forget they are, e.g able to handle a bit of wet weather the better.
- Good bang for buck preferred and budget utpo circa £600.

vickster

Legendary Member
get some 32 spoke handbuilts 👍

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yep, X2 for good handbuilts.
I'm 95kg and build my own. Currently running a homebuilt wheel set on my commuter 24Fr/32Rr. Was unsure about the 24 front but wanted to keep the original hub so risked it. Wheels have proven to be as strong and stiff as my normal 32/36 sets so I reckon a nice 28/32 set should easily do the job for you.
PS, I like to bunny hop and ride down steps occasionally so my wheels get tested in other ways than just stiffness when under full power ;)

Reactions: DSK
Suitable for heavier riders, I weigh 85-90Kg (varies).

If that weight range constitutes heavier riders then I'm doomed, DOOMED I tell thee! :laugh:

I've always been recommended to get hand built, but when I've needed wheels I've just never had the time to wait for some.

The last stock wheels I bought were Halo Aerorage, and I can't imagine any other wheel, hand built or otherwise being any stronger. Plus they are a fraction of your budget.

These things have taken some serious knocks and bangs, and even though I don't ride anywhere near as much as most folk, I can't see me needing to replace them any time soon. They've never even needed any truing.

Just had a look on Halo's site and they don't appear to do the Aerorage road wheels anymore, I think THESE are probably the closest ones, and again would save you £££'s.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I just got a set of hand built with hope hubs and their ace. £600 is a hefty wedge and a bit more than I paid so they will be well within budget. :okay:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Speak to a decent Wheelbuilder, your weight is not overly heavy and they can build what you want need. I used DCR Wheels and H Plus son Archetype rims. 100kg rider, Audaxing type usage.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
By be the way, why do you think your wheels are flexing? Is it a feeling or are the rims rubbing the brakes or something? I wouldn't expect wheels to flex during cornering due to the fact you lean into the corner so all forces on the wheel should be almost radial. Flex when pedaling hard out of the saddle is a possibility.

Also, X2 that 85-90kg isn't heavy, neither is 95kg :ninja:

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

On fast corners I hear brake rub and giving it beans out of the saddle I get brake rub, despite the brakes being perfectly balanced and working evenly as well as opened up a touch to allow some room for wheel movement.

Last edited:

Mark pallister

I've decided to keep my Giant TCR Di2 as my do it all and wet bike. I am in the market for some new 700C rim brake road bike wheels and would welcome your opinions on makes/variants.

I want to try and overcome flexing when under load such as corners or out of the saddle climbs and sprints.

- Suitable for heavier riders, I weigh 85-90Kg (varies). So the stronger and less flexible under load they are, the better.
- Not fussed about weight so, all aluminium or aluminium/carbon mix is fine.
- Ideally have a profile between the 30-45 rim depth range would be nice
- The more fit and forget they are, e.g able to handle a bit of wet weather the better.
- Good bang for buck preferred and budget utpo circa £600.
Hope wheels

Top Bottom