Robust Wheels For Heavier Riders- Deeper Section?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
DSK

DSK

UPDATE

So I looked around at Strada, DCR, Open Pro, contacted a couple of wheel builders including Kinetic one.

Cut a long story short, I was really happy with the customer service, on board of information and no pressure by Andy @ Kinetic-One. Andy appreciated what I needed from a wheelset and the conditions under which I was experiencing issues with anything to date.

So I bought 2 sets of Kinetic K1-42TL Duo with Miche Primato hubs and I've covered about 90 miles on them and deliberately tried some all out effort busts etc on them. Happy to report, that the K1 wheels, with the brake blocks back to being just off the rims with minimal lever action, do not show any signs of flexing under load such as out of the saddle sprints or cornering. I'm very impressed, so much so that I ordered a second set to keep as backup! I'd recommend these to anyone seeking similar.

50104843388_31a48d84a6_z.jpg

The Pro-Lites, I've decided to put on my cloudy day bike and backed the brakes right off, then, I'll put them onto a 'wet' bike when i get one, to get my moneys worth out of them rather than just throw them away.

50105652062_d5ce2271c6_z.jpg

Wooger

Thanks, it's ultra useful to have someone come back and report success. I'm in the market myself, but at maybe 115kg right now I'm even more of an exciting challenge for wheel builders to take on.

Drago

Legendary Member
Do it once. Do it properly. DT Swiss.

A a much heavier rider than yourself I think youll find deflection in the frame is of far greater concern. On some frames I can actually see them flexing when laying on the power.

Im 119kg and have never caused a problem for any wheels on even the cheapest bikes. Youve got to get to really daft weights, perhaps 140kg and upwards, before your weight alone becomes problematic for wheels.

I'm 105kg and I've never had any problems with any wheels, even the cheap stock wheels. As long as you've got enough spokes, you're fine. I think I've got 32 spokes on every wheel. Never a problem, never a broken spoke.

Top Bottom