Rochdale to Blackpool ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i could join on the way (rossendale), as i will be planning on riding back. i will be slow due to being on a folder.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I would also be quite happy to all meet at rochdale and someone else with more knowledge lead the way.

Well what you need is somebody with local knowledge for each section. Rochdale shouldn't be difficult, just follow the signs for Edenfield. I can do all of the bit from there, through Blackburn and as far as Preston. From there you need somebody else. The only thing I would say is that everybody has to agree to stick together; countless group MTB rides have taught me that the quickest way to wreck a ride is for individuals to break off because they think they know a better route. And the person (you) who proposed and organised the ride has the final word.

Where would you start in Rochdale?

Fiona N

Veteran
I could meet you in Blackpool :hello: I've been meaning to do another round trip down that way as an excuse for calling in at Garstang for some custard tart

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi folks.

As the route stands, there are too many busy roads and too much riding through built-up areas for my taste but if you'd allow me to suggest a slightly alternative route... ;)

By coincidence, I was about to arrange a forum ride from Hebden Bridge to Blackpool so I'd already worked out a route starting at Hebden Bridge and passing through Padiham. I've adapted that route for a Rochdale start and put it here on Bikely.

From Rochdale, there isn't much choice until Haslingden but after that, I agree with Sheepy1209, and would choose to take the B6236 to Oswaldtwistle, Whitebirk, avoid the HUGE roundabout and dual-carriageway by backstreets and A666 to Wilpshire, cross the Ribble at Ribchester, then go Longridge, Goosnargh, Broughton, Inskip, Elswick, Singleton to Stanley Park or head down to the coast.

The total climbing wouldn't be much more than the A-road route because the climb over the B6236 is about 60 m lower than that over the A6177. There is an extra climb though, the smallish one from Ribchester to Longridge.

I plotted the route from the railway station because if I come, I'll take the train over. The earliest I'd arrive would therefore be about 09:25 on a Sunday, but it could be earlier on a Saturday.

If I come along, I'd be riding back from Blackpool too via my original route shown here

My Rochdale-to-Blackpool route is 82 km (51 miles) and my Blackpool-to-Hebden Bridge route is 86 km (53.5 miles) so if anybody wanted to get a century ride in, they could join me for the return leg. Returning from Todmorden to Rochdale instead of Hebden Bridge would add about 8 km (5 miles) to the total distance making it 176 km (109.4 miles) rather than 168 km (104.4 miles).

It's not my ride, so please don't feel under any obligation to change your route just for me. I can always arrange to ride my original route another time.

PS If I come along, navigation will be be easy with my trusty GPS!  :smile:

bigtoe

Über Member
I was looking at that route but in reverse for mooching round the start villagey type thing of the TOB then riding home to blackpool for the stage finish on the 6th sept which is a saturday.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, Colin's route is nicer especially the bit from Blackburn to Liverpool; Preston is ghastly and the roads a nightmare for a cyclist. That route takes you within 100 yds of my front door! Colin, look carefully at the climb out of Irwell valley towards Helmshore; it's a steep narrow little lane. I will go and check it out this weekend but I maintain that it might be better to take the more gradual climb up the Manchester road to the big roundabout on the A56. I will also check out the cafe at Helmshore Textile Museums because this would be a delightful place to stop for refreshments with plenty of space for bikes; it's quite private and enclosed. The museums are fascinating and a stop there would contribute greatly to the character of this ride through the mill towns to the former holiday resort of the masses!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Im quite happy to do that colin, I just want a decent ride that is a decent distance.
Super! Obviously, some A-roads are unavoidable from Rochdale but those really busy ones through Preston aren't necessary.

Yes, Colin's route is nicer especially the bit from Blackburn to Liverpool
That's what comes of getting up at 05:30! ;)

Preston is ghastly and the roads a nightmare for a cyclist.
That's what I was getting at - I really don't like riding through big towns/cities. I'll do it if I have to, but not when there are nicer alternatives.

Colin, look carefully at the climb out of Irwell valley towards Helmshore; it's a steep narrow little lane. I will go and check it out this weekend but I maintain that it might be better to take the more gradual climb up the Manchester road to the big roundabout on the A56. 
You could be right, but I'd feel nervous about taking a forum ride round a big busy roundabout. I've had too many near misses on them so I tend to avoid them or ride them with a very assertive attitude at full speed which some riders might not be happy to do.

I will also check out the cafe at Helmshore Textile Museums because this would be a delightful place to stop for refreshments with plenty of space for bikes; it's quite private and enclosed. The museums are fascinating and a stop there would contribute greatly to the character of this ride through the mill towns to the former holiday resort of the masses!
That sounds like a great place for a stop, but surely it's too early in the ride? It's only 16 km (10 miles) after we set off, with over 64 km (40 miles) to go to Blackpool. I was going to suggest that we have our main stop at the end of the ride, but we could call in at the shops in Longridge at the 48 km (30 mile) point to buy supplies (also public toilets available).

I'm okay with a fairly slow average speed, but I have to bear in mind that I'm riding back afterwards and would prefer to get back in daylight (sunset will be about 20:00 at the end of August) so I'd prefer only one main stop but I'll "go with the flow"!

it seems ok. i avoid edenfield road like the plaque tho. going thru shawforth / rawtenstall ends in the same place safely.
Edenfield Road - the A680 out of Rochdale? I did look at going out through Whitworth but thought it would add a lot of distance but actually it's only about 3 extra km (2 miles) - is it really that much safer? From what I can remember, all those roads are pretty busy.

If we did go the Rawtenstall way, how about taking to the quiet roads higher up the hillside past the ski slope? They are a bit lumpy but away from the valley traffic.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The big roundabout on the A56 isn't a major junction; it's mostly used by local traffic going to the Tesco and between Helmshore and Haslingden/Rawty.

Didn't realise Helmshore was so early in the ride. I will check with a roadie pal for a cafe in the Ribchester/Longridge area this weekend. There's Chipping but that's too far north.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Super! Obviously, some A-roads are unavoidable from Rochdale but those really busy ones through Preston aren't necessary.

That's what comes of getting up at 05:30! ;)

That's what I was getting at - I really don't like riding through big towns/cities. I'll do it if I have to, but not when there are nicer alternatives.

You could be right, but I'd feel nervous about taking a forum ride round a big busy roundabout. I've had too many near misses on them so I tend to avoid them or ride them with a very assertive attitude at full speed which some riders might not be happy to do.

That sounds like a great place for a stop, but surely it's too early in the ride? It's only 16 km (10 miles) after we set off, with over 64 km (40 miles) to go to Blackpool. I was going to suggest that we have our main stop at the end of the ride, but we could call in at the shops in Longridge at the 48 km (30 mile) point to buy supplies (also public toilets available).

I'm okay with a fairly slow average speed, but I have to bear in mind that I'm riding back afterwards and would prefer to get back in daylight (sunset will be about 20:00 at the end of August) so I'd prefer only one main stop but I'll "go with the flow"!

Edenfield Road - the A680 out of Rochdale? I did look at going out through Whitworth but thought it would add a lot of distance but actually it's only about 3 extra km (2 miles) - is it really that much safer? From what I can remember, all those roads are pretty busy.

If we did go the Rawtenstall way, how about taking to the quiet roads higher up the hillside past the ski slope? They are a bit lumpy but away from the valley traffic.

hi colin,

edenfield road is lumpy, narrow and a major route for commuting motons at very fast speeds. the alternative whilst busy, but not too busy, has limited speeds so no kamikaze cornering by motons.

re going up past the ski slope, sure it's fine for me and anyone else used to hilly roads but it's hilly even by your standards.

trust me i live there and the edenfield road is so bad i will be adding 5 miles per day to avoid it when my next placement starts in a few weeks.

word of warning though, the old haslingden road is hilly and has some strong headwinds towards blackburn, a very tedious road in the wrong conditions. when it's nice and sunny with no wind it's a nice road with nice views.

however after that said it's pretty much downhill to the seaside.

the a56 roundabout is easy peasy as we are turning left at the first one and the second roundabout is relatively quiet.

cheers

shaun

Fiona N

Veteran
aren't you the super fast super long rides lady?...

Yes Yes Yes that's me :becool:

Well, maybe I used to be but my pomp was 10 years ago (and more) and nowadays I like nothing more than some long(-ish) distance dawdling with good cafes along the way. I got burned off in a 200km Audax last weekend by a man on a folder* so don't underrate yourself :blush:

* In self-defence, I have to note it was a modern Moulton with a lot more gears than I had

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Yes Yes Yes that's me :becool:

Well, maybe I used to be but my pomp was 10 years ago (and more) and nowadays I like nothing more than some long(-ish) distance dawdling with good cafes along the way. I got burned off in a 200km Audax last weekend by a man on a folder* so don't underrate yourself :blush:

* In self-defence, I have to note it was a modern Moulton with a lot more gears than I had

i think people mistake these with being similar to other folders, not true. the moultons are dedicated speed machines. i think they were banned from races due to them having an unfair advantage, i also seem to recall that some world speed record was set on a moulton, so don't under rate yourself!! :laugh:

Top Bottom