Rochdale to Blackpool ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Like I said I probably won't do that section but you've got the choice of the Norden climb and Owd Betts, which is nice but definitely higher, or the slightly longer valley bottom option via Whitworth and Waterfoot. Still, I suppose you could always stop at Britain's last Temperance bar in Rawty for a glass of sarsaparilla!

Shaun, I'm still undecided between The Grane or Haslingden Old Road. The Grane climbs higher but it's a gentle gradient and easier than it looks as you can get a good rhythm going (there's a cafe half way too!) and although traffic is fast, the sight lines are good and open. Haslingden Old Road on the other hand doesn't climb as high but is up and down and quite twisty with some nasty bends, as you've said. What do you think?

potsy

Rambler
where are you based bromptonfb? I could be tempted to come along to this but would be driving to Rochdale if there's somewhere to leave the car all day.
I'd be slow coming back too,carrying a bit of overweight but did the Manc-Blackpool ride the other week at around 14mph.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
rossendale, 3 miles out of rawtenstall. i'm planning on riding to rochdale, completing it full that way then riding home so i have a full loop, if you know what i mean?

potsy

Rambler
rossendale, 3 miles out of rawtenstall. i'm planning on riding to rochdale, completing it full that way then riding home so i have a full loop, if you know what i mean?

Sounds like a good plan,I'll bring my Tom Tom in case I get lost on the way back
biggrin.gif
who else is riding back to Rochdale then?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Like I said I probably won't do that section but you've got the choice of the Norden climb and Owd Betts, which is nice but definitely higher, or the slightly longer valley bottom option via Whitworth and Waterfoot. Still, I suppose you could always stop at Britain's last Temperance bar in Rawty for a glass of sarsaparilla!

Shaun, I'm still undecided between The Grane or Haslingden Old Road. The Grane climbs higher but it's a gentle gradient and easier than it looks as you can get a good rhythm going (there's a cafe half way too!) and although traffic is fast, the sight lines are good and open. Haslingden Old Road on the other hand doesn't climb as high but is up and down and quite twisty with some nasty bends, as you've said. What do you think?

out of the 2 at weekend i'd say the grane. plus i've never ridden it. i've ridden the old haslingden loads and tbh, i don't like it much, there or back.

there is another interesting way from rochdale via waterfoot and that's over some b roads from stacksteads. it includes a 20% 300 yard climb this then drops onto old haslingden road past the ski slope and over past 'the halo' which drops straight onto the old haslingden rd. interesting but killer hills. mind you tho not much climbing after that.

there is also the padiham, whalley way nice country roads.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sounds like a good plan,I'll bring my Tom Tom in case I get lost on the way back
biggrin.gif
who else is riding back to Rochdale then?

I'll be riding back the way we went out as far as Longridge, but then returning via Mitton, Whalley and Padiham, then taking the A646 to Todmorden and after that, Hebden Bridge. 

You could get back to Rochdale from Todmorden by following the A6033 valley road to Littleborough and then the A58 into Rochdale centre, about 14 km (9 miles).

potsy

Rambler
I'll be riding back the way we went out as far as Longridge, but then returning via Mitton, Whalley and Padiham, then taking the A646 to Todmorden and after that, Hebden Bridge.

You could get back to Rochdale from Todmorden by following the A6033 valley road to Littleborough and then the A58 into Rochdale centre, about 14 km (9 miles)

If you can point me in the right direction I should be fine,just need to know of somewhere to park a car all day on a saturday near to the start point,any ideas?
Done 2 60ish mile rides now so this would be my longest by far,quite fancy it now though.

400bhp

Guru
If you can point me in the right direction I should be fine,just need to know of somewhere to park a car all day on a saturday near to the start point,any ideas?
Done 2 60ish mile rides now so this would be my longest by far,quite fancy it now though.

Might be up for this if that's OK? Potentially 3 of us. Is it Sat 21st? I'm planning to do C2C on Sat 11th Sept so need to do some training.

Who is responsible for the route on the day?

potsy

Rambler
Might be up for this if that's OK? Potentially 3 of us. Is it Sat 21st? I'm planning to do C2C on Sat 11th Sept so need to do some training.

Who is responsible for the route on the day?

As long as it's not me we'll be fine
thumbsup.png
where are you coming from 400bhp?

400bhp

Guru
Ooh interesting,I'm a very near neighbour then.How are you getting there(Rochdale) and home?

It's around an 80 mile trip to Blackpool? May cycle to Rochdale if there is a reasonable break in Blackpool (only 20 miles there). I have an aversion to driving a car to a spot to start cycling.:biggrin:

Depends.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's around an 80 mile trip to Blackpool?  May cycle to Rochdale if there is a reasonable break in Blackpool (only 20 miles there).  I have an aversion to driving a car to a spot to start cycling.:biggrin:

Depends.
It will be 50-54 miles to Blackpool, depending on which exact route we choose. Obviously if you return by the same route, it will be the same again.

I will be returning by a different route and if you came that way as far as Todmorden, and then back to Rochdale, that would be more like 58 miles.

So, your round trip Rochdale-Rochdale would be in the range 100 - 112 miles.

It definitely won't be a quick ride so you ought to bear that in mind. You'd almost certainly be riding back from Rochdale after sunset unless you went on ahead on the return leg.

Top Bottom