Rochdale to Blackpool ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Simba

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I will put ColinJ in charge of the route, he is more savvy with that than I am.

8:30 am on sat 21st

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks

What's the plans for stops?

I don't know what everybody else has in mind but my vote would be for a short stop at the shops/toilets in Longridge after 32 miles on the way out and then 30-60 minutes in Blackpool. On the way back from Blackpool there are shops at Longridge (22 miles), Whalley (31 miles), Padiham (36 miles), Todmorden (48 miles), Littleborough (54 miles) and Rochdale (58 miles) so there are plenty of opportunities to stock up but I'd prefer only one long stop all day.

potsy

Rambler
I don't know what everybody else has in mind but my vote would be for a short stop at the shops/toilets in Longridge after 32 miles on the way out and then 30-60 minutes in Blackpool. On the way back from Blackpool there are shops at Longridge (22 miles), Whalley (31 miles), Padiham (36 miles), Todmorden (48 miles), Littleborough (54 miles) and Rochdale (58 miles) so there are plenty of opportunities to stock up but I'd prefer only one long stop all day.

Sounds good to me,so overall pace is going to be what? 12-15mph?

400bhp

Guru

That's sensible. Personal rule of thumb is a stop at 2 hr segments - I seem to get lactic acid build up if I don't. I'll chat to the other guys to see if they are up for this.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sounds good to me,so overall pace is going to be what? 12-15mph?
Excluding stops, 12-15 mph but nearer 12 mph I reckon. Including stops... depends on how many times we stop and how long for! 

TBH, though there are hills, this is a lot less hilly than most of the local CC forum rides that we do so I'll be interested to see how much faster we go. I'm normally the weakest link because I'm an overweight slow climber but I go downhill fast and can go along at a reasonable pace on flatter roads.

As always, we'll go at the pace of the slowest rider. These days, I always make a point of mentioning that the rides are not quick because 2 friends came along once and they went off in a sulk halfway round because the pace was too slow for them. A waste of their time, and embarrassing for me because everybody else kept asking where they'd gone!  

I reckon faster riders who want a better workout should attack the climbs full on to burn up some surplus energy, riding back down to the slower riders and doing it again and again until we catch up, or until they are feeling suitably satisfied! 

Globalti

Legendary Member
I expect I will meet the ride somewhere like Owd Betts then on the return leg, peel off at Ribchester.

potsy

Rambler
Excluding stops, 12-15 mph but nearer 12 mph I reckon. Including stops... depends on how many times we stop and how long for!

TBH, though there are hills, this is a lot less hilly than most of the local CC forum rides that we do so I'll be interested to see how much faster we go. I'm normally the weakest link because I'm an overweight slow climber but I go downhill fast and can go along at a reasonable pace on flatter roads.

As always, we'll go at the pace of the slowest rider. These days, I always make a point of mentioning that the rides are not quick because 2 friends came along once and they went off in a sulk halfway round because the pace was too slow for them. A waste of their time, and embarrassing for me because everybody else kept asking where they'd gone!

I reckon faster riders who want a better workout should attack the climbs full on to burn up some surplus energy, riding back down to the slower riders and doing it again and again until we catch up, or until they are feeling suitably satisfied!

No problem with a 'sedate' pace Col,I might make you look fast
thumbsup.png

On the last CC ride I did,was OK on the flat keeping up nicely at about 15-18mph,but once it got a bit hilly then I was going backwards,unfortunately I'm no lighter than I was then.
Just hope I can get a 'pass' to come on this now.

Fiona N

Veteran
I'd like to come along too, please.
I'll be training to Rochdale via Wigan and Manchester Victoria ETA 8.35am. Is that OK - a bit later than planned?

Sadly with 2 fairly short changes, there is a high probability of hiccups en route (is it really only 12 minutes from Man Victoria to Rochdale after 50 mins from Wigan to Manchester?). I was wondering what to do if it looks like I'll be late - as I don't know the roads, just trying to catch you up seems a bit tricky, so I think I would plan to abandon the Rochdale start and head straight to Blackburn from Man Victoria if it looks like I'll miss the Rochdale train. Anyway, I can let you know on the day if there are problems, assuming of course, that I remember to pick up the mobile at 6am :wacko:

I'd definitely prefer to give Preston a wide berth having cycled through it to Leyland and back in May and June. Whatever way you look at it, Preston isn't a cyclist-friendly town - previously I've tried to follow the cycle routes across town only to end up in a dead-end industrial estate. One other time I ended up on a motorway in all but name, so last time just gave in and followed the A6 straight into the town centre, headed for the station following the signs and then carried onto Leyland.

amrushton

You should go thro' Haslingden and via Roundhills to Blackburn. The Grane road is always a nightmare with speeding cars. Yes. you will come to the Whitebirk r/bout but there is a one-way road thro' to the industrial park at about 12 o clock as you go clockwise. You can go over the pavement to it. No need to go thro'Preston, just thro' to Longridge and Inglewhite or Broughton and straight thro' to Blackpool via Inskip.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
you get to see the 'singing ringing tree', i use the crown point road regularly. plus 'new road' is boooorrrriiiinnnngggggg!!!!!!! it's one of my most tedious roads. and unfortunately when i go onto the moors towards colin's i can't avoid it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
No doubt we will go on discussing the route but in the end should the decision be Fluffy's? It's his ride, after all!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
was just playing around with maps. most do seem to be in agreement about missing blackburn & preston town centres though. a good idea as we will probably be hitting them around mid to late saturday morning, a busy shopping day.

Top Bottom