Rochdale to Blackpool ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
i'd say more like 1.30pm to 2.30pm at a guess

That's around an average 10mph in the saddle (allowing for, say an extra 1/2 hr for stopping)???

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Good source of carbos!

So, given the intention is to leave at 8:30, are we looking at a an 11:30 is arrival in Blackpool?
Hmm - fat, with some carbos!

We are gathering at 08:30 but we can't leave then because Fiona's train doesn't arrive until at least 08:35 so it would be an 08:40 departure at the earliest and probably more like 08:45.

We will not get to Blackpool that early. We'd have to average 32 kph (20 mph). Bearing in mind hills and traffic, I reckon we will average closer to 22 kph (13.7 mph) so that would be around 4 hours. I'd say 12:45 to 13:00, in keeping with Shaun's guesstimate.

i'd say more like 1.30pm to 2.30pm at a guess
Oi - you changed that while I was quoting you! 

I really hope we won't be going that slowly! That's the kind of speed we average on my mega-hilly forum rides so we ought to be going way faster than that.

I think your original ETA was probably more accurate. If we are going so slowly that we don't get to Blackpool until 14:30, then spend an hour there before heading home and continue home at the same speed, I wouldn't be getting home until about 90 minutes after sunset and some people wouldn't get home until midnight!  

What speed do you average on your commutes Shaun? I know the Brompton won't be as quick as a racing bike but surely it isn't hard to ride at (say) 24 kph (15 mph) on the flat?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Hmm - fat, with some carbos!

We are gathering at 08:30 but we can't leave then because Fiona's train doesn't arrive until at least 08:35 so it would be an 08:40 departure at the earliest and probably more like 08:45.

We will not get to Blackpool that early. We'd have to average 32 kph (20 mph). Bearing in mind hills and traffic, I reckon we will average closer to 22 kph (13.7 mph) so that would be around 4 hours. I'd say 12:45 to 13:00, in keeping with Shaun's guesstimate.

Oi - you changed that while I was quoting you! 

I really hope we won't be going that slowly! That's the kind of speed we average on my mega-hilly forum rides so we ought to be going way faster than that.

I think your original ETA was probably more accurate. If we are going so slowly that we don't get to Blackpool until 14:30, then spend an hour there before heading home and continue home at the same speed, I wouldn't be getting home until about 90 minutes after sunset and some people wouldn't get home until midnight!  

What speed do you average on your commutes Shaun? I know the Brompton won't be as quick as a racing bike but surely it isn't hard to ride at (say) 24 kph (15 mph) on the flat?
12 to 15mph depends on weather and how i'm feeling, but as you know it's all uphill on the way home.

in my guesstimate i was allowing for stops and meeting people on the way and as you know rides never just set off, they kinda meander off.

ColinJ

12 to 15mph depends on weather and how i'm feeling, but as you know it's all uphill on the way home.

in my guesstimate i was allowing for stops and meeting people on the way and as you know rides never just set off, they kinda meander off.
Hopefully the trains of Fiona and myself will arrive on time, but yes, even if they do I can't see us setting off until at least 08:45. 

I'm sure that Globalti will do his best to be at Ride On by the time that we get there. Incidentally, aren't you tempted to start from there to avoid the ride in and out of Rochdale? Mind you, that would cut your mileage (kilometrage?) down considerably.

Obviously, any mechanical problems would slow us down, but let's be optimistic - no problems, everyone turns up on time, is feeling good and able to ride at a reasonable pace!

The climbs will split us up a bit but we will just regroup at the summits. It would nice to go along at a good pace where we have a clear, flat road ahead of us but it's not a race, it's a social ride.

I think I'd be up for this if that's ok [weather permitting]. I'm in Prestwich so could join the peloton at rawtenstall.

Jim
That would be fine Jim. Just make sure you are waiting with Globalti at the Ride On bike shop when we get there. If you are both early (or we are delayed), you could set off to meet us coming the other way if you get bored of standing around.

It might be a good idea to coordinate an exchange of phone numbers for the ride. There's no point in everyone having everyone else's number but we ought to be able to let Fluffy know if we can't make it (or are delayed) for some reason.

There might be a head wind going out westwards.
Shhh, the wind Gods will hear you!

potsy

Rambler
certainly hope that everybody arrives at the start with enough to get at least as far as the shops in Longridge. That is after 52 km or (say) 2.5 hours. (I always carry a couple of cereal bars and two large bottles of carbo-drink so I should be okay until Blackpool.)

It might not be the best cycling fuel, but I might well buy some nice greasy fish 'n chips in Blackpool!

That's about the same as i'll be bringing,fish and chips sounds good to me too :tongue:

Here's hoping for some good weather and no wind.

ColinJ

Hey Fluffy - I hope you get over your cold in time for next Saturday's ride.

Have you got a list of who is coming?

I've only done 4 rides in the past month, totalling about 80 miles so I'm not exactly going to be sprinting to Blackpool and will probably run out of steam somewhere on the ride home to Hebden Bridge!

I really hope the rain fizzles out and we get some decent weather next weekend...

400bhp

Guru
High pressure is beginning to push back the Atlantic systems so keep those fingers crossed.

Would it be possible to ride with you guys for a part of the distance? A mate of mine has been ill for a few weeks and he doesn't think he's up to doing 100 ish just yet.

It's just another option I threw at him :smile:

potsy

Rambler
Would it be possible to ride with you guys for a part of the distance? A mate of mine has been ill for a few weeks and he doesn't think he's up to doing 100 ish just yet.

It's just another option I threw at him :smile:

What would your plan be then? I'm weighing up options on the distance too,like ride to Rochdale-Blackpool then train back,or drive to a meeting point and back.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
the good thing about this route is the many different options of how (train, bus) and where (blackpool, preston, blackburn) you can decide enough is enough and bail.

i'm just going to keep going till i'm knackered then decide where to catch public transport, that's if i don't make it all the way.

400bhp

Guru
What would your plan be then? I'm weighing up options on the distance too,like ride to Rochdale-Blackpool then train back,or drive to a meeting point and back.

Probably something like 80 miles in total, from south Manchester, therefore leaving 40 miles to play with. Or Rochdale - somewhere - Rochdale.

I've not thought too hard about it but perhaps, if we were starting at South Manc, then head off around Blackburn/Preston way, dropping in somewhere around Bolton/Leigh.

The good thing is my mate has a garmin, so we just need to put the route through Bikely/Bikeroute toaster.

Happy for you to join us.

As I said, just a thought at the mo and understand if people don't want us doing this.

potsy

Rambler
Probably something like 80 miles in total, from south Manchester, therefore leaving 40 miles to play with. Or Rochdale - somewhere - Rochdale.

I've not thought too hard about it but perhaps, if we were starting at South Manc, then head off around Blackburn/Preston way, dropping in somewhere around Bolton/Leigh.

The good thing is my mate has a garmin, so we just need to put the route through Bikely/Bikeroute toaster.

Happy for you to join us.

As I said, just a thought at the mo and understand if people don't want us doing this.

What? And miss the fish and chips in Blackpool,that's the only thing keeping me going
biggrin.gif

I really want to do the '100' will be my 1st one,just not 100% sure I'll make it,though if the pace is slow enough I should.

Top Bottom