Rochdale to Blackpool ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Simba

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Hey Fluffy - I hope you get over your cold in time for next Saturday's ride.

Have you got a list of who is coming?

I've only done 4 rides in the past month, totalling about 80 miles so I'm not exactly going to be sprinting to Blackpool and will probably run out of steam somewhere on the ride home to Hebden Bridge!

I really hope the rain fizzles out and we get some decent weather next weekend...

My cold is on its way out so I will still be there. I don't have a list as yet. I could make a separate thread and people just say In or out and nothing more

OP
OP
Simba

Simba

Go here to say if you are coming

https://www.cyclechat.net/

Globalti

Legendary Member
The B6245 is closed for gas works at Clayton-le-Dale just north of Wilpshire but don't worry, they've had to leave access for residents and a pedestrian route so you can still sneak through on a bike. I will nip down and recheck on Friday afternoon as that's a mile from my house.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The B6245 is closed for gas works at Clayton-le-Dale just north of Wilpshire but don't worry, they've had to leave access for residents and a pedestrian route so you can still sneak through on a bike. I will nip down and recheck on Friday afternoon as that's a mile from my house.
I imagine we will be okay but if we can't get through, we can divert to Copster Green and turn left onto the A59 for a few hundred yards to get back on the original route.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yuk! I've just driven through the link from Audley to the A666 in Blackburn; it zig-zags through the car park of The Range then a horrible industrial estate before eventually joining the A666 and heading towards Clitheroe and Ribchester. The road is full of industrial sized potholes and covered in cement as there's a cement depot there. It's really awful! Better would be to go over the canal, through The Range car park then straight to the ring road, which you follow to Brownhills where you pick up the A666. Half of that section is on a good cycle track, there's only half a mile on the dual carriageway.

ColinJ

Yuk! I've just driven through the link from Audley to the A666 in Blackburn; it zig-zags through the car park of The Range then a horrible industrial estate before eventually joining the A666 and heading towards Clitheroe and Ribchester. The road is full of industrial sized potholes and covered in cement as there's a cement depot there. It's really awful! Better would be to go over the canal, through The Range car park then straight to the ring road, which you follow to Brownhills where you pick up the A666. Half of that section is on a good cycle track, there's only half a mile on the dual carriageway.
I'm looking on Google Maps...

Do you mean

Blakewater Drive, Philips Road, A6119

or

Blakewater Drive, Challenge Way, A6119

or

Whitebirk Drive, A6119?

I know that you can show us the way, but I'd like to program the correct route into my GPS on Friday evening. 

OP
OP
Simba

Simba

Okay!

That seems to be too subtle Fluffy, so...

If you intend to ride on Saturday, please follow Fluffy's link above and tell us!

:thumbsup:

lol thanks man

Globalti

Legendary Member
Colin, we come down Haslingden Old Road the B6236, which becomes Bank Lane. At junction turn R on B6130 Shadsworth Road. Cross Accrington Rd onto Whitebirk Rd. At the satellite roundabout (Pub, MacDonalds) we take a little driveway up over the canal and into the car park of The Range store. Right on Blakewater Rd to join A6119 Whitebirk Drive.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Colin, we come down Haslingden Old Road the B6236, which becomes Bank Lane. At junction turn R on B6130 Shadsworth Road. Cross Accrington Rd onto Whitebirk Rd. At the satellite roundabout (Pub, MacDonalds) we take a little driveway up over the canal and into the car park of The Range store. Right on Blakewater Rd to join A6119 Whitebirk Drive.

i know where you mean, little local knowledge there, much better way thru that bit.

i'm in.

ColinJ

I know that bit of the route because it is used in the opposite direction by the longer and shorter North-West-Passage audax rides in February every year. 

I was very nervous first time coming down the dual carriageway towards the HUGE Whitebirk roundabout but a local rider just in front of me showed me the shortcut round the back of the car showroom (at least, I think it was a car showroom).

potsy

Rambler
I'll be riding back the way we went out as far as Longridge, but then returning via Mitton, Whalley and Padiham, then taking the A646 to Todmorden and after that, Hebden Bridge.

You could get back to Rochdale from Todmorden by following the A6033 valley road to Littleborough and then the A58 into Rochdale centre, about 14 km (9 miles).

How about me taking the A671 off the A646 back to Rochdale? Anyone know if that road is OK? Todmorden seems like I'll be going further east to come back to Rochdale.
Weather forecast is for 22C sunny spells now,just need to get rid of this cold I picked up yesterday
sad.gif

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I know that bit of the route because it is used in the opposite direction by the longer and shorter North-West-Passage audax rides in February every year. 

I was very nervous first time coming down the dual carriageway towards the HUGE Whitebirk roundabout but a local rider just in front of me showed me the shortcut round the back of the car showroom (at least, I think it was a car showroom).

that's the shortcut we are talking about. we won't even see the big roundabout.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Slight change of plan on my part - I will join the ride further along at the point where the B6236 Haslingden Old Road crosses the M65 motorway. There is a layby on the left where the original (now blocked by the Mway) road diverges from the new road over the bridge and I shall be there.

I reckon you'll be there at about 10.00. What do you think Colin?

BTW I have sent you a PM with my mobile number.

Top Bottom