Rochdale to Blackpool ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Do you think he'd notice if I attach a tow rope to the back of his bike for the last 20 miles or so?
whistling.gif

Having a rest day tomorrow after 4 20 mile commutes this week,must stop trying to race much faster colleagues on the way home as well,I was meant to be taking it easy in preparation for Saturday.
I probably would, given that I still haven't been out on my bike and won't be riding tomorrow either so I will be doing my 110 miles pretty much on untrained legs! I'll be relying on some very old muscle memories!  :wacko:

A sure sign of being tired is when the drag up the A646 from Walk Mill to Cliviger Gorge feels like a hill. It actually only averages about 2% but if you are knackered it can feel like a lot more!

The pay-off is a nice fast descent to Todmorden.

Svendo

Guru
A sure sign of being tired is when the drag up the A646 from Walk Mill to Cliviger Gorge feels like a hill. It actually only averages about 2% but if you are knackered it can feel like a lot more!

I know exactly what you mean! It's a proper test, as I usually forget about the slight rise and think I've just got downhill after getting over the Long Causeway from Heptonstall.

I've been lurking on this thread as you're starting about 3 minutes away from my house. Unfortunately I've been booked by GF. Not flatpack furniture this time but a BBQ at her house. I might be able to sneak out and show off my new bike for a bit then turn back, but I'll probably be in Walsden at her's on Friday night. So don't wait for me or anything like that.

Have a good ride all!

ColinJ

I know exactly what you mean! It's a proper test, as I usually forget about the slight rise and think I've just got downhill after getting over the Long Causeway from Heptonstall.

I've been lurking on this thread as you're starting about 3 minutes away from my house. Unfortunately I've been booked by GF. Not flatpack furniture this time but a BBQ at her house. I might be able to sneak out and show off my new bike for a bit then turn back, but I'll probably be in Walsden at her's on Friday night. So don't wait for me or anything like that.

Have a good ride all!
I didn't want to mention it in case it put the others off, but, er, the forecast has turned a bit grotty for Saturday so the BBQ might be rained off! 

Hmm, soggy fish 'n chips at Blackpool... :wacko:

Garz

Squat Member
Im going to aim to meetup with you guys as Im travelling from Bolton end near Manchester so which would be the best joining point big C?

Fiona N

Veteran
I certainly hope the weather tomorrow morning's better than this morning - thunder and lightening, torrential rain etc. Nice :biggrin:

ColinJ

I didn't want to mention it in case it put the others off, but, er, the forecast has turned a bit grotty for Saturday so the BBQ might be rained off! 

Hmm, soggy fish 'n chips at Blackpool... :wacko:
I certainly hope the weather tomorrow morning's better than this morning - thunder and lightening, torrential rain etc. Nice  :biggrin:
Forecast looks OK, dryish and gentle westerlies: http://www.metoffice...e_pressure.html
The forecast was looking really grim when I made my post early this morning but it has changed radically since then. Hopefully, it won't change back again!

Im going to aim to meetup with you guys as Im travelling from Bolton end near Manchester so which would be the best joining point big C?
You could ride into Rochdale and meet us at the railway station at 08:30. If you don't fancy that, I'd suggest that you ride to Ramsbottom, take the B6214 to Haslingden, then turn left off the A680 onto the B6236. It drops down into a dip at Hud Hey and you could wait for us there. Our ETA at Hud Hey is 09:45 - 09:55 ish if the trains into Rochdale are on time, and we don't have any problems on the way out to meet you. 

Let us know where you will be meeting us. It would be a good idea to exchange phone numbers with Fluffy by PM in case of problems.

I think there is the Nocturn race at Blackpool this Saturday.
Yes, I spotted that last night. Unfortunately, as the name implies, it is an evening event so we will be long gone by then. If somebody doesn't mind hanging around for 4 or 5 hours, they could watch it but I want to set off for home after an hour in Blackpool.  

ColinJ

the forecast is for a 16mph tailwind and grey skies. no rain until 10pm. let's hope they are right.
Not on the BBC and Met Office forecasts! Sunny intervals, 17-21 degrees, 12 mph winds (but strong gusts up to 35 mph!). Yes, dry though.

The wind direction is forecast to be the usual SW swinging round to W later on. That means cross/headwinds on the way out and cross/tailwinds on the way back.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm not planning on hanging around in Blackpool, I need the wheels on my bike when I set off for home!

Are we going to swim, by the way?

RedBike

Yes, I spotted that last night. Unfortunately, as the name implies, it is an evening event so we will be long gone by then. If somebody doesn't mind hanging around for 4 or 5 hours, they could watch it but I want to set off for home after an hour in Blackpool.

Although the main event is in the evening I was hoping there might be a race / event some time in the afternoon. Something like Rollerplazer, the folding bike race etc. (I haven't seen the schedule).

If nothing else the Rapha stall might be there so you can stock up on the relatively cheap socks / jerseys they seem to have.

ColinJ

I'm not planning on hanging around in Blackpool, I need the wheels on my bike when I set off for home!
I'm not planning on leaving my bike unattended - I need my wheels too! I was thinking in terms of gathering outside a chip shop and somebody standing with the bikes while the rest of us go inside to order. Fish 'n chips to be eaten outdoors next to the bikes, looking out at the sea. Something like that. CycleChatters-eating-chips photos galore!

Is the water there still brown or have they built a longer pipe? ;)

Although the main event is in the evening I was hoping there might be a race / event some time in the afternoon. Something like Rollerplazer, the folding bike race etc. (I haven't seen the schedule).

If nothing else the Rapha stall might be there so you can stock up on the relatively cheap socks / jerseys they seem to have.
If you take a look at the website (link in my other post), those events seem to kick off at 18:00. I can't see any mention of things happening earlier on but we can have a look around because we will be right there in that part of Blackpool. 

ColinJ

Is the water there still brown...
...or have they built a longer pipe? ;)

Er - I guess not, far too often, and not long enough are the answers to those questions...  xx(

HUGE amounts of raw sewage is being pumped into the sea off Blackpool during the tourist season.
Figures obtained from the Environment Agency show Anchorsholme pumping station operated more than 70 times last year between April and September.

During wet weather, the pipe sent 340,000 cubic metres of raw sewage and storm water out to sea.

But water company bosses say the action is necessary, especially when there has been heavy rainfall, to prevent homes from being deluged with sewage.

bigjim

Legendary Member
having a quick google, it looks to me that the best spot for me is at the Tesco petrol station just before you enter Rawtenstll roundabout about 10am?

Top Bottom