Rochdale to Blackpool ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
having a quick google, it looks to me that the best spot for me is at the Tesco petrol station just before you enter Rawtenstll roundabout about 10am?
I can see it on Google Maps. Okay, just stand on the grassy bit by the Tesco sign and we'll see you there. I'm hoping that we'd be there at more like 09:35 if the trains come in to Rochdale on time. (It's only 19 km into the route).

I've trawled through both theads and if I've got this right, it's:

Fluffy, Bromptonfb, potsy, 400bhp, ColinJ: Rochdale railway station at 08:30 to meet Fiona N at 08:35 or as soon after that as her train arrives.

bigjim: Front of Tesco petrol station, Rawtenstall at 09:35 ish

Garz: Dip in B6236, Hud Hey, Haslingden at 09:50 ish

Globalti: Layby on left immediately after crossing the M65 on descent into Blackburn at 10:05 ish

If you haven't done so already, swap phone numbers with Fluffy in case of delays. With people being met all over the place, we have the potential for confusion here!

If you can't make it for any reason, let Fluffy know so we don't hang about waiting for you.

If we leave Rochdale significantly late or get significantly delayed on the way we'll contact you (bigjim, Garz, Globalti).

Oh, and I reckon there's no need to go out via the Town Hall now so I propose: Station, Maclure Rd, left onto Drake St, right onto Manchester Rd, straight on St Mary's Gate, left Spotland Rd, right Sheriff St then as before.

Garz

Squat Member
You could ride into Rochdale and meet us at the railway station at 08:30. If you don't fancy that, I'd suggest that you ride to Ramsbottom, take the B6214 to Haslingden, then turn left off the A680 onto the B6236. It drops down into a dip at Hud Hey and you could wait for us there. Our ETA at Hud Hey is 09:45 - 09:55 ish if the trains into Rochdale are on time, and we don't have any problems on the way out to meet you.

Let us know where you will be meeting us. It would be a good idea to exchange phone numbers with Fluffy by PM in case of problems.

I will meet you at Ramsbottom as I ride there regularly and could time it better. I will PM Fluffy and your good self my number. See you there!
wave.gif

P.S.

I can wear my CC clobber.. I hope other will too for Colin's photo purposes?
biggrin.gif

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Last time I swam in the blackpool sea I set out near the north pier for a paddle and came back out again in bloody bispham. Current took me without even knowing it. Shat meself- I was only 11.

'Ere GTi it could have been my 'mersey trout' you bumped into!

ColinJ

I will meet you at Ramsbottom as I ride there regularly and could time it better.
Er, no... the rest of us aren't going to Ramsbottom, which is why I suggested Haslingden!   ;)

It should take you about 30 minutes to get from Ramsbottom to where I suggested we meet you (it's about 10 km with a couple of uphill stretches) so aim to get to Ramsbottom by 09:15 and keep on riding until you get to Hud Hey, Haslingden!

As shown here.

Garz

Squat Member
Ahh ok I swing by Grane Road so I guess I will try navigate up there from that point. Never been to Hud Hey.. but what the hey!
cool.gif

potsy

Rambler
I'm not planning on hanging around in Blackpool, I need the wheels on my bike when I set off for home!

Are we going to swim, by the way?

Cycling and a swim with the sewage,what more could we ask for
biggrin.gif

Full of a cold last few days and was getting worried I wouldn't make this,luckily seems to be going just in time.
I can almost taste the fish and chips from here.

ColinJ

I didn't get round to replacing my mk1 Crud Roadracers with the mk2s but since we have a good forecast, I'm not too bothered. I'm just programming the route into my GPS, then it's time for a few beers in front of the telly (carbo-loading!).

I'll check in again before I set off in the morning to see if anybody has dropped out of (or in to!) the ride.

See you at Rochdale station!

Garz

Squat Member
Just finished off the bottle of vino (carb loading too!). Hpping the weather stays as predicted for now (big sun at 10:00am), are you bringing a camera for forum purposes Colin?

potsy

Rambler
Don't have too many beers Col,I have visions of hoards of cyclists all across the NW waiting to join us,only you've forgot who and where they are
biggrin.gif

Curry and rice and a cup of tea is my carb loading for the ride,alarm set for 6am
ohmy.gif

Top Bottom