Rochdale to Blackpool ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
bikehike says potsy and i, did 115 miles. quite chuffed with that.

a bit twilight zone that both my first two +100 mile rides worked out to within 0.2 miles in length to each other, especially when one was off road, and the other on road, freaky.

Garz

Squat Member
Hello people, I got in later than expected last night as I told the wife i'd be back by four and underestimated it badly. Thankfully she didn't chew my head off and had even cooked me dinner!
laugh.gif
Then I went round some friends and drank wine which clouded my fatigue of the legs (112.59 miles).

Was great to finally meet some CC folk! Globalti updated me on his river bike and trio was a testament by riding that fixie the whole way at a decent pace. Globalti's tailwind was present but I dont think it was for as long as originally predicted as by longridge I started to feel really jaded.

Good to hear Colin got back okay, there is nothing worse than a mechanical especially far from home. Was good weather for once so glad I could get some mileage in with some great company!
wave.gif

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well that was an experience,good to meet all the cc'ers and put faces to the names.
Col that was really bad luck and there was no way you could have rode home,you did the sensible thing there.
Big thanks to Bromptonfb who got me back from Blackpool,really wouldn't have made it without you,absolutely shattered at the end,but I've now done my first 100+ mile ride,here's to the next one
thumbsup.png

Good effort!

cheers potsy, no problem. i 'm pretty sure we did about 120 miles, but i'll work it out tomorrow, my mate just left and i'm knackered. you did really well to say you bonked and had a.. hehumm...incident.

colin, how many miles did you have on your garmin from rochdale to the train station, please?

glad you got home safely colin, you were lucky that the wheel held.

nice to meet you all.

i am well chuffed with myself, my second +100 miles this week (without embarrassing myself, as well), on a brompton!! 

Great effort from you too Shaun. The more cycle commuters I meet who are surging ahead in fitness relative to me, the more I see the benefits of regular shorter rides rather then the occasional mega-hilly ones I tend to do.

Station-station was 54.6 miles. I did an approximate check of your route (not knowing exactly which way you rode back. If you went straight up the B-road to Longridge, then Hurst Green, Mitton, Whalley, Padiham, Rossendale Road. Manchester Road, I reckon with the extra you did to Rochdale that is about 112 miles. Allow a few miles messing about in Blackpool and you probably did about 115.

Yes, it was good wasn't it? As Trio writes, Blackpool was a nightmare of pissed-up stag parties, we couldn't get to the sea so no swimming and we couldn't even find a chippy that wasn't Harry Ramsdens. In the end a cyclist told us about one in a back street and we found a nice little square to sit and eat our chips.  The ride back was good with a mostly tail breeze helping us along.  It was good to meet other forum members and put faces to names.
I'm miffed about not getting that tailwind!

Talking of names to faces - I was struggling yesterday because there were so many new faces in one ride and then people started taking jackets off or putting them on so their appearance kept changing. I'm also convinced that one or two riders joined us at certain points that I didn't know about! Well, I know about new CC member CapnAhab, but who was it wearing grey shorts and riding a yellow bike, for instance? He was with us when we left Longridge but I couldn't remember where he'd joined us.

Here's the group photograph that I took. Could anybody identify 'A' and 'B' for me (apologies guys, I think I remember 400bhp though I'm not sure, and I've clean forgotten who the other rider was - there was just too much going on yesterday for me to take it all in!)

cyclechatters-21st-aug-2010.jpg

Kneeling: Fluffy.

Left to Right: bigjim, Fiona N, trio25, 'A', 'B', Garz, Svendo, bromptonfb, Globalti, CapnAhab (joined CC today after chatting to us up there!), potsy.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed

Station-station was 54.6 miles. I did an approximate check of your route (not knowing exactly which way you rode back. If you went straight up the B-road to Longridge, then Hurst Green, Mitton, Whalley, Padiham, Rossendale Road. Manchester Road, I reckon with the extra you did to Rochdale that is about 112 miles. Allow a few miles messing about in Blackpool and you probably did about 115.

we went,

b/pool - a583 - a5085 - a59 - a677- b6236 - brownhill rd - shadsworth - haslingden rd - grotty rotty - crawshawbooth - you know the rest. 114.8 miles.

Fiona N

Veteran
Great day out - many thanks to Fluffy and Colin for getting us together and out there :hello:

BigJim and I had a very pleasant ride along the Promenade from the chip stop - and a short ferry ride from Fleetwood across the Wyre estuary. After dropping Bigjim in Pilling (he stopped there, I should hasten to add, in case of misunderstandings :blush: Trio and Gobalti will know what I mean...) I took advantage of the tailwind to do a very quick few miles to Lancaster. The tailwind had the regrettable (very shortly) effect of making me feel much better than I probably was so I turned off the A6 and headed off through Caton and Hornby to Kirby Lonsdale. Those familiar with the area will know there's a very substantial hill between Kirby Lonsdale and Kendal and it was grovelling up this that I quickly came to regret my enthusiasm in Lancaster. Anyway, I was home ca. 7.30pm after about 187km, so a very satisfying day out.

Lovely to meet some fellow forumers and put faces to names. I'm glad everyone made it home in more-or-less one piece. Commiserations to Colin on the wheel problems, a real bummer all round, especially missing the fish and chips

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Ugh - talk about A-roads and city centres! I think we inhabit different worlds...  ;)

no city centers (the roads skirted around the centers). very nice roads.
i think because potsy and i commute thru city centre traffic, daily, it felt very quiet. well, we had a busy 1/2 mile due to preston match finishing as we entered that area. tbh tho, the roads were very quiet and the cycle lanes were nice and wide.

Garz

Squat Member
I'm also convinced that one or two riders joined us at certain points that I didn't know about! Well, I know about new CC member CapnAhab, but who was it wearing grey shorts and riding a yellow bike, for instance? He was with us when we left Longridge but I couldn't remember where he'd joined us.

I think I mentioned it earlier in a thread that a friend of mine was probably going to join us for a part of the journey. So the guy on the yellow bike, with grey shorts and the blue top was Mike, I shall mention it to him and see if he will join up to the forums.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Fancy wheels with low spoke counts are okay when they are not broken, but when you only have 20 spokes to start with and one breaks, it makes the wheel go way out of true. I didn't want to start messing about with other spoke tensions to try and straighten the wheel because I reckoned that I'd end up with more broken spokes instead!
Lazy reviewers alert!

I read two different Aksium reviews and both said that the front and rear wheels have 20 spokes. In fact (I've just counted) the front wheels have 20, but the rears have 24. It's obvious to me that one reviewer didn't bother counting the spokes, and the other copied the first reviewer!

OP
OP
Simba

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Thanks for a good ride everyone, I had to peel off at blackburn as work called me the night before. Getting out of blackburn was a task in itself, I needed to get on the A666 and it took me 45 minutes to find it, then it was up on the hills for most of the way home.

Bromptonfb thanks for staying with me on them nasty climbs.

Everyone else, thanks for making it happen. Thanks Colin for planning the route also.

EDIT: Let me know if you are up for another sometime before winter sets in.

trio25

Über Member
Yes, it was good wasn't it? As Trio writes, Blackpool was a nightmare of pissed-up stag parties, we couldn't get to the sea so no swimming and we couldn't even find a chippy that wasn't Harry Ramsdens. In the end a cyclist told us about one in a back street and we found a nice little square to sit and eat our chips. The ride back was good with a mostly tail breeze helping us along. It was good to meet other forum members and put faces to names.

I am still not convinced about that tailwind!!!!

My legs were sore today riding! I think the ride back killed them.

potsy

Rambler
I am still not convinced about that tailwind!!!!

My legs were sore today riding! I think the ride back killed them.

Me and brompton felt the tailwind for the 1st few miles out of Blackpool,then it all got too painful to care which way the wind was blowing
wacko.gif

Top Bottom