Rochdale to Blackpool ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Col, 'b' is 400bhp and 'a' is his friend who I'm not sure if he's on cc or not,they joined us at Rochdale station.

Don't know if rider a, Gaz (mate) is a Cycle Chat "doer". He does lurk though...

Garz

Squat Member
I too went for a 22 mile ride today to stretch the legs so to speak, they actually feel better for it im shocked to say!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well, I agree that the tail wind did weaken as we rode inland, as you would expect.

BTW yesterday there was a WW11 flypast at Lytham so we shot over in the car to see the Spitfire and the Hurricane, though in the end only the Hurricane showed up; I guess the Spit got shot down. Out of interest we came home via the same cross-country route and I can tell you that in a car it's a ball-ache; long straight stretches followed by 90 degree bends, so difficult to maintain a steady speed and towards Longridge surprisingly twisty and hilly. As a driver I thought "never again" and my two passengers weren't impressed with it either!

400bhp

Guru
Well, I agree that the tail wind did weaken as we rode inland, as you would expect.

BTW yesterday there was a WW11 flypast at Lytham so we shot over in the car to see the Spitfire and the Hurricane, though in the end only the Hurricane showed up; I guess the Spit got shot down. Out of interest we came home via the same cross-country route and I can tell you that in a car it's a ball-ache; long straight stretches followed by 90 degree bends, so difficult to maintain a steady speed and towards Longridge surprisingly twisty and hilly. As a driver I thought "never again" and my two passengers weren't impressed with it either!

Depends what car you are in mate :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Any news on that tandem Ben?

The tandem was part of the reason for coming back that way. The owner was out cycling and his dopey teenage daughter didn't even know whether he had sold it or not. She wasn't even prepared to let me have a look at it, but she thought he was asking about £300 for it. I left my telephone number and he hasn't called back.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Post mortem on my duff wheel:

I bought the wheels about 6 weeks ago off a mate who had only ridden last summer on them. I spoke to him about the wheel problem last night and apparently, he'd been out on a ride one day when his rear mech went into the wheel and broke a couple of spokes. He replaced them and rode another few weeks on the wheels but eventually another spoke broke. I'm hoping that that one and the one I broke were the last of the damaged spokes from the original rear mech incident and that the wheel will be reliable after it has been repaired this time.

Pedal On sell Mavic parts so I'll buy a pack of 4 cassette side spokes and carry 3 as spares, wrapped in bubble-wrap in my seat tube. It's nearly always those spokes that break because they are under the greatest tension due to the rear wheel's dishing.

The spokes are straight-pull and my mate reckons that you can replace one without even having to take the wheel off the bike, so it wouldn't be a major problem if it happened again, though it would still be annoying.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Post mortem on my duff wheel:

The spokes are straight-pull and my mate reckons that you can replace one without even having to take the wheel off the bike, so it wouldn't be a major problem if it happened again, though it would still be annoying.

Sounds right, I suppose you could just unscrew the broken spoke and holding the nipple, screw in the new one. You'd need the special Mavic spoke key though, wouldn't you?

ColinJ

Sounds right, I suppose you could just unscrew the broken spoke and holding the nipple, screw in the new one. You'd need the special Mavic spoke key though, wouldn't you?

Oh no - not more expense... what is the special Mavic spoke key? Shaun's multitool seemed to fit the spoke nipple when we were removing the broken spoke on Saturday.

PS I found one at Pedal On - it looks like the Aksiums don't require it. The nipples looked pretty conventional TBH.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Not long in from a very wet ride back from Pilling. Torrential rain most of the way. Good fun over Belmont. Why when it is instructing a 20mph limit because of loose gravel do they insist on doing 80 and splatting me with wet muddy gravel bullets? Grr. A few memories added.

4920671210_800fd40211_m.jpg

4920072641_9af58ce901_m.jpg

4920671550_8c9ea9b45d_m.jpg

4920072779_d514be7f9d_m.jpg

4920073327_de1dc9a2d2_m.jpg

ColinJ

No idea how to do that. Though I can send originals to anybody who does know.
You have to have the pictures hosted somewhere online. I've got my own hosting account for my blog so I stick them on there, but you could get yourself a Flickr account and use that.

Once you have the pictures online, just click the Insert Image icon two places to the right of the smiley face icon above and put the web address of your hosted picture in the popup box below where it says Image URL.

Top Bottom