Rochdale to Blackpool ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How about me taking the A671 off the A646 back to Rochdale? Anyone know if that road is OK? Todmorden seems like I'll be going further east to come back to Rochdale.
Ah, but you haven't been looking at the contour lines!

Riding to Todmorden is mainly downhill from the A671 junction and there is only a small amount of climbing between Tod and Littleborough on the way to Rochdale.

There is a big hill on the A671 over to Bacup - 220 metres of climbing to Deerplay from the junction. If you go that way, there is a good run down to Rochdale from the summit though. If I was tired, I'd rather take the slightly longer valley roads (A646/A6033).

that's the shortcut we are talking about. we won't even see the big roundabout.
Er, yes, that's the one I keep talking about too!   ;)

Slight change of plan on my part - I will join the ride further along at the point where the B6236 Haslingden Old Road crosses the M65 motorway. There is a layby on the left where the original (now blocked by the Mway) road diverges from the new road over the bridge and I shall be there.

I reckon you'll be there at about 10.00. What do you think Colin?

BTW I have sent you a PM with my mobile number.

Okay. I reckon 10:00-10:15ish assuming that the trains are on time, and we have no punctures or strong headwinds. If we get there early we'll wait. If we are going to be later than 10:15ish, I'll ring you when that becomes obvious. 

I still have your number from the last ride we did together, thanks.

Fiona N

Veteran
Should I have someone's phone number too - just in case? Colin, Fluffy?
I think my PM is working

potsy

Rambler
Ah, but you haven't been looking at the contour lines!

Riding to Todmorden is mainly downhill from the A671 junction and there is only a small amount of climbing between Tod and Littleborough on the way to Rochdale.

There is a big hill on the A671 over to Bacup - 220 metres of climbing to Deerplay from the junction. If you go that way, there is a good run down to Rochdale from the summit though. If I was tired, I'd rather take the slightly longer valley roads (A646/A6033).

Ah OK I'll take your word for it,I don't mind going slightly further to avoid a hill or two,still bringing my Tom Tom though I can get lost going to work and back
wink.gif

ColinJ

I think I'd be up for this if that's ok [weather permitting]. I'm in Prestwich so could join the peloton at rawtenstall.

Jim
Jim - Globalti isn't going to be waiting at that bike shop now. Let us know if you intend to meet us there otherwise we'll ride straight through the mini roundabout on the A681 and not turn off to pick you up.

The numbers seem to have dwindled - could those of you who are planning to turn up please let Fluffy know in the ride list thread - ta.

BTW - perhaps it wasn't a great idea to start another thread because we now have people asking questions in that one as well as in this one!   ;)

Should I have someone's phone number too - just in case? Colin, Fluffy?
I think my PM is working

I think it is best if Fluffy collects any phone numbers since I won't actually be at the start until the last minute and might be delayed if the train is running late. Fluffy, I'll PM my number to you just-in-case.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Colin, in Rawtenstall you're still better off heading straight across that mini roundabout and down the old Bacup Road past Ride On, it will put you in a position to claim the correct lane earlier on the big roundabout with the fire station in the middle. If you take the faster bypass you will come into conflict with ASDA traffic, pedestrians and traffic heading down to Edenfield and towards Bury and it will be difficult for a small group to get moving, get clipped in and assert their position for the exit they need.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Colin, in Rawtenstall you're still better off heading straight across that mini roundabout and down the old Bacup Road past Ride On, it will put you in a position to claim the correct lane earlier on the big roundabout with the fire station in the middle. If you take the faster bypass you will come into conflict with ASDA traffic, pedestrians and traffic heading down to Edenfield and towards Bury and it will be difficult for a small group to get moving, get clipped in and assert their position for the exit they need.

sorry but this wrong, they are doing major roadworks outside 'ride on' with long queues due to temp traffic lights. the road surface is god awful. the first left past tesco's is better. will be quiet at that time in the morning, as the normal valley residents will be nursing hang overs.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
just sent you one fluffy

Globalti

Legendary Member
sorry but this wrong, they are doing major roadworks outside 'ride on' with long queues due to temp traffic lights. the road surface is god awful. the first left past tesco's is better. will be quiet at that time in the morning, as the normal valley residents will be nursing hang overs.

Ooh you're right Shaun, I knew that but had forgotten.

ColinJ

Okay, bigjim - if you do decide to come along, meet us after the big roundabout on the road to Haslingden. How about by the school opposite the hospital? Once again though - let us know to look out for you or we won't!

ColinJ

This still happening on the 21st as I may be in?
Yes - this Saturday morning. Gather at Rochdale railway station by 08:30 which is when I should be arriving. Fiona N's train should be coming in about 5 minutes later. Aim to set off about 08:40, subject to delayed trains.

This and any other required information is available in earlier posts!   ;)

potsy

Rambler
He's right as well pottsy- especially after 120 miles.

Do you think he'd notice if I attach a tow rope to the back of his bike for the last 20 miles or so?
whistling.gif

Having a rest day tomorrow after 4 20 mile commutes this week,must stop trying to race much faster colleagues on the way home as well,I was meant to be taking it easy in preparation for Saturday.

Top Bottom