Rockrider 560 27.5" Wheels - question...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Just bought a Rockrider 560 (650b) and was wondering if anyone else has one and knows if the wheels are tubeless ready? I seriously doubt they are but you never know.

Can't find anything online so short of whipping the tyres off not sure what I can do apart from ask the forum!!

Thanks

Could you give me the brand of wheel it has ?
At the price of the 560,I would say no.It's not a big thing anyway to have tubeless.
I changed back to tubes,and prefer them.
Cheers

Last edited:

lpretro1

They will not be tubeless ready rims or tyres. But don't listen to those who say don't go tubeless - tubeless is excellent - I have ridden for over 2 years and never had a flat and we fit them all the time in our workshop

outlash

also available in orange
They will not be tubeless ready rims or tyres. But don't listen to those who say don't go tubeless - tubeless is excellent - I have ridden for over 2 years and never had a flat and we fit them all the time in our workshop

Not wishing to cause battle lines being drawn up, because I'm genuinely curious. But what are the advantages of tubeless? I had this discussion with a mate and we both came to the conclusion that there isn't anything really to be gained by it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Not wishing to cause battle lines being drawn up, because I'm genuinely curious. But what are the advantages of tubeless? I had this discussion with a mate and we both came to the conclusion that there isn't anything really to be gained by it.

Tubeless allows 'proper' mountain bikers to run low pressures without getting pinch flats.

Low pressures are deemed to be good in certain circumstance for extra grip and traction.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That's the marketing blurb, but I've never had a pinch flat, even when I've raced cross with low pressures on clinchers and plenty of grip.

Jumps, hammering over tree roots and the like can give pinch flats if you want to run low pressures for grip and traction.

outlash

also available in orange
I'm aware they can, I'm saying that I (or in fact anyone else I know running clinchers off road) haven't. Are there any other advantages other than the ability to have your tyres at lower pressures?

Can you not be a proper Mountain Biker and like tubes at the same time @Pale Rider ?
Before the advent of sealants into Mtb'ing,people were getting along just fine with tubes.
I tried it and didn't like it,I feel they mask bigger problems along the line.It will seal yes,but you might rely on it too much and overlook your tyres more
As @lpretro1 said,each to their own.
Getting tyres with thicker sidewalls should cut out the pinchflats that you associate with lower pressures.Assuming you are going to run them soft at times and know you are,it's a no brainer
I'm the same as @outlash ,I have not had a flat,pinch or otherwise, since I switched back 2 years ago.
The irony is,I know riders who run tubeless that carry a tube anyway when their tyre fails them.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Can you not be a proper Mountain Biker and like tubes at the same time @Pale Rider ?

What do you think?

My reference to proper mountain biking was simply to illustrate the greater benefit of tubeless is for those who like to run lower pressures and give it some welly over difficult terrain.

Of course, you could ride the same trails in the same way with tubes, solid tyres or even on a ruddy penny farthing if you could stay upright.

Not than pinch flats are the sole province of mountain bikers, proper or otherwise.

Roadies/hybrid riders can get them from a pothole or bumping off a kerb, especially if they like to run lower pressures for a bit of comfort.

Which is why Schwalbe is aiming some products, sorry, marketing blurb, at tubeless for more general cycling, as well as mountain biking.

Cyclists are notoriously conservative and suspicious of anything new, so any innovation takes a very long time before it is adopted.

But in 10 or 20 years' time, I predict tubeless will be common on all sorts of bikes.

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tubeless-technology.html

Milzy

Guru
I've ran tubeless set ups for years. You get better rolling resistance. Lighter hoops. Riding on very hard rocky places feels nicer as you don't seem to basket ball bounce around as much. Hard to explain but if you mtb'd with both set ups for a while you'd tell the difference pal.

Top Bottom