Rohloff touring bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
If you're buying from the UK you save the VAT which neatly pays for courier but how much would import duty be?

Ah, but there are ways around import duty: as I have family and friends all over the UK, I would probably pick it up and do a tour in Britain, and then just bring 'my bike' back to Canada as as extra luggage (no need to say that I'd just bought it and it would be very obviously already 'used' if anyone actually did more than x-ray it, which is unlikely).

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist

Thanks!

The Oxford one seems more like the Thorn Raven in price, and even in the way it looks, however they seem to be dead set against eccentric BB), and the Stanforth model is definitely more in the Shand range althoughI definitely prefer the Shand's geometry and looks if I'm going to pay that much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'm happy enough with the gear system and if I wanted to change it I would go for a Pinnion Gear bike instead of the Rohloff now. It's a similar idea but I find the weight distribution on the bike is much better.

I'm certainly interested in Pinion and I haven't totally discounted it, but 1. I don't like the way it looks and 2. I've seen studies that show that it's significantly less efficient than the Rohloff Speedhub, indeed as far as I can see Speedhubs seem to be the most efficient thing after SS. The weight distribution question is interesting. I remember this being the big issue with Rohloff as far back as people have been discussing them on the Cycling Plus forum, but these touring bikes are designed to take weight on the back so I can't see that it's a huge problem especially once you've got 40 lbs of baggage back there.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You may still be able to claim back the VAT as the goods don't have to be sent for three months. Worth investigation as it's several hundred pounds at stake.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Thanks!

The Oxford one seems more like the Thorn Raven in price, and even in the way it looks, however that seem to be dead set against eccentric BB), and the Stanforth model is definitely more in the Shand range althoughI definitely prefer the Shand's geometry and looks if I'm going to pay that much.
The Stanforth and OBW (IIRC) are both made by Lee Cooper. He'll make whatever changes you need.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
. I've seen studies that show that it's significantly less efficient than the Rohloff Speedhub,

Interesting, I've not seen any but I've not looked for it, as I said, it's something for the future if I feel the need.

You shouldn't be too concerned about the strengh of a rear Wheel fitted with a Rohloff speedhub, they are heavier than with a standard hub but they are also stronger, provided the wheel is properly built you would have a stronger and more reliable wheel than a wheel that is dished for a cassette.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Don't forget Woodrup - although you'll probably have a 12 month wait. Their website has a Flickr and Instagram gallery. Many are a work of beauty. A picture of Vernon's chimera is still there:

6943907621_1f88412f99_o.jpg

He always told me he hated the look of my Nomad - I think it was a wind-up. He loved the Gates belt and only changed it once, and that was a precaution before his aborted US trip.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Many of us here have done plenty of miles on both types of bike.....and speak from experience. The twist gear is not clunky, as long as you don't try to change while peddling. In fact it's incredibly smooth. There is a little extra resistance, and noise, in some gears (1-7) but others are pretty good and quiet (8-14). The hub is obviously heavier than a derailleur but if you take into account not needing a front changer and (perhaps) triple chain ring, the weight is pretty comparable.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I think the chain tension method is important. I would definitely use an eccentric BB if you can. If you have to have a jockey wheel you are eroding one of the big advantages over derailleur gears.

For what it’s worth my worn in rohloff is way quieter than my derailleur bike in almost all gears. I prefer the single twist shifter to the 105 paddles but I could imagine a trigger shifter might have advantages. That said, one of the reasons the rohloff rarely goes wrong is that the shifting is in the hub so cable tension isn’t a major issue.

As Rob (@Pale Rider) has mentioned I have a Rohloff geared bike. In fact I have two. Both are Thorn bikes. I acquired the first 2 years ago after my car was written off by an incompetent motorist whilst parked outside my house . Around the same time I took up an opportunity of early retirement from work so I decided to not replace the car and treated myself to a new Thorn Mercury instead. It has proved a good decision. So much so, that in February last year I also acquired a 14 year old Thorn Raven Catalyst (with Rohloff hub gears) from a private seller. It has mountain bike geometry, can carry heavy loads and is the bike I use for riding routes that are predominantly bridleways, tow paths and off road cycle ways. I use my Mercury for long day rides and weekend touring.

For me, the key combined considerations in choosing a Thorn Rohloff geared bike are comfort, simplicity, quality and low maintenance. I have found SJS Cycles who produce the Thorn bikes a fantastic company to deal with. They provided superb customer service in the sale process and also for after sales queries and advice.

I haven't found any problems with the twist grip gear change as alluded to by Rob but would agree with @Surly Bruce regarding the best technique is to stop pedalling momentarily whilst changing gear.

Top Bottom