Rollers or Turbo Trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
I'm not quite sure whether to buy some rollers or a turbo trainer. I am inclined towards the turbo trainer as it has varying difficulty levels. But as I have no experience of either I thought I'd ask on here.

Paul

Sleeping Menace

I'm not quite sure whether to buy some rollers or a turbo trainer. I am inclined towards the turbo trainer as it has varying difficulty levels. But as I have no experience of either I thought I'd ask on here.

Paul

While the turbo will give you a workout, the rollers also help you to hone your sense of balance and positioning on the bike. You'll find yourself a much smoother rider, riding in a perfectly straight line after using rollers for a while. I had a turbo, and went over to rollers after trying them at a colleagues house a few times. If you're worried about varying the resistance, simply drop 5psi from your tyres.. and go into a higher gear, you should have no shortage then.

http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org/category/cycling/

I found Turbo trainers to be boring and frankly a unrealistic training experience, the locked in feeling annoyed me and after a few sessions made it so I did not want to use them even if I wanted to train indoors. The resistance they offer is also very strange I found, feeling nothing like riding on the road.

Rollers however are a different thing, while you can not just set them up, turn your brain off and go Hamster for an hour the benefits are in my view much better than a Turbo as you work your core muscles and improve your bike handling and are having to constantly concentrate as you would when riding on the road.

Your gears offer the resistance on Rollers or you can buy one with an optional resistance unit.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have both, and have only just found my rollers again following a garage clear out. Personally if you are after a flat out session then turbo as you don't have to think. Bouncing off a set of rollers at speed isn't funny. Having a handy wall might help.

lulubel

Über Member
I've got a Tacx i-Magic (virtual reality turbo trainer that links up to a computer) with a spare bike permanently on it, and that's perfect for what I want. However, it isn't my main source of cycle training in the winter. Most of the time, I can continue to cycle outside, but it's there for when we get a few days of lousy weather in a row.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got a Tacx i-Magic (virtual reality turbo trainer that links up to a computer) with a spare bike permanently on it, and that's perfect for what I want. However, it isn't my main source of cycle training in the winter. Most of the time, I can continue to cycle outside, but it's there for when we get a few days of lousy weather in a row.

Hang on, you live in Malaga. Sheesh - lousy weather my bum. :tongue:

lulubel

Über Member
Hang on, you live in Malaga. Sheesh - lousy weather my bum. :tongue:

You're right, it doesn't often rain here, but when it does it's like someone throwing buckets of water over you, and often accompanied by thunder and lightning. In those conditions, the trainer is a LOT safer.

Buddfox

Veteran

Paul

Apologies for the novice question, but what is the difference between the two? I've only ever heard friends talk about turbo trainers. Thanks!

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I think the turbo and rollers are different tools for different jobs.

As pointed out the rollers are great for developing balance and a smooth efficient style, what they call "avec supples" or however it's spelled. Trackies use them all the time. The allow you to develop so that you can knock out 150 rpm without bouncing off.

The turbo is better for creating a load, developing your anaerobic threshold and building muscular endurance. IMHO the road is the place to build aerobic endurance. One other aspect people forget about is the mental endurance for a good time trial too. The boredom of a turbo is good training to get the load up and keep your mind on it. Sometimes your head gives out before your legs.

You're right, it doesn't often rain here, but when it does it's like someone throwing buckets of water over you, and often accompanied by thunder and lightning. In those conditions, the trainer is a LOT safer.

I've only been cycling on mainland Spain once most days were beautiful :sun: but it was torrential for 48hours :rain::rain::rain:.. I was on a hire bike though so I didn't let it stop me :smile:

cloggsy

Boardmanist

I fancy on of these... The new 'Genius' T2000 model look very interesting (the one advertised between the TdF segments on Eurosport.)

Bicycle

I have both. Both have their merits, but I'd go with rollers.

A. If you can ride a bicycle on a road, do it. Nothing beats miles on the road.

B. A Turbo trainer lets you ride to destruction... but that's about the main and only advantage over rollers. Turbos can be noisy, are extremely boring to ride... I'd almost rather be fat than train like that. To be used only if there's nothing else and you really do take it all more seriously than is healthy.

C. Rollers are less about riding to destruction/collapse and more about getting some work done but also keeping your mind on the job, thinking about position, steering, wobble at speed... all that jazz. It can be fun and there are comedy moments too.

So my list in order of fun and function is:

1. Riding outside on a bicycle.
2. Rollers.
3. Eating dried cat food and watching a fishing show on freeview while someone throws cold custard at me.
4. Turbo Trainer.

:rolleyes:

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
Thanks to all of you who replied. I have to admit I agree that rollers seem a bit scary!

I will look into getting a Turbo Trainer I think for the days I can't get out for whatever reason.

Paul

Top Bottom