Rolling Stone top 500 songs of all time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Bohemian Rhapsody only 17? What a load of tosh

OP
OP
P

purpan

Smells Like Teen Spirit (at 5) a better song than Gimme Shelter (at 13)?

Insanity.
Smells like Teen Spirit was both a superb song and one of generational importance, I’d say. Gimme Shelter was great, too, of course. I think there’s a fair amount of Stones in the list, in fact.

Dolorous Edd

Smells like Teen Spirit was both a superb song and one of generational importance, I’d say. Gimme Shelter was great, too, of course. I think there’s a fair amount of Stones in the list, in fact.

I stand by my allegation of insanity. Of course, the whole point of these lists is to provoke these discussions ^_^

Smells Like Teen Spirit (at 5) a better song than Gimme Shelter (at 13)?

Insanity.
The Stones did get 3 songs in the Top 50, so can't complain much!

If we're sharing minor quibbles, I thought Fleetwood Mac Dreams (also Top 50) was a very odd choice, as there are so many better songs on that album, some of which can stop me in my tracks when I hear them!

Pfft - Americans eh? What do they know about music!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s all subjective isn’t it? You might as well just pick the 500 in any random order.

@Drago will be upset that least half should be from Motörhead.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
We used to spice up big meetings at work by daring people to introduce themed words and scoring them on how many they get away with undetected. We challenged my mate Paul to get as many Rolling Stones song titles as possible into an important meeting with the big chief. He ducked out, wimpishly. He could at least have called someone else "Angie" by mistake and he'd have scored at least one. Then the big boss, quite unexpectedly came out with "You can't always get what you want"!!!! Paul left the meeting with a score of minus 1, meaning I had the easiest of challenges at the next meeting, only having to score 0 to win.

All uphill

Still rolling along
We used to spice up big meetings at work by daring people to introduce themed words and scoring them on how many they get away with undetected. We challenged my mate Paul to get as many Rolling Stones song titles as possible into an important meeting with the big chief. He ducked out, wimpishly. He could at least have called someone else "Angie" by mistake and he'd have scored at least one. Then the big boss, quite unexpectedly came out with "You can't always get what you want"!!!! Paul left the meeting with a score of minus 1, meaning I had the easiest of challenges at the next meeting, only having to score 0 to win.
Reminds me of a CEO who, at roadshows, challenged presenters to include a word in their bit; the fun was that he only told us the word as our presentations began.

It wasn't easy to get rhinoceros into a speech about marketing undetected.

carpiste

Guru
I can choose 500 top records as my favourites and a few weeks later that list will change!
That`s the magic of music. We all have our favourite tunes but things change I`ve found. Mention Bohemian rhapsody and people assume it should be top of the list but I was 14 and bought the single and adored it..... but after hearing it a zillion times it kind of got boring?!
Similarly, Bowie is my favourite ever but I can`t stand to listen to Life on Mars?! Why, because it was a constant on radio and pub duke boxes in the 70`s!
I`m also of an age when certain genre would never go on any playlist of mine. Unless the artist can both write songs and play, at least, one instrument I have little interest.
Oh yes, right now my top 10 would include, Counting Crows, Bowie, Stones, Beatles... staples I think ;)
(staples as in food not a band!)^_^

Cycleops

Legendary Member
These lists are going to change from year to year. Many of the stuff featured from the last say five years might well be completely forgotten after another ten years. It’s only the true and best classics that endure and stand the test of time.

Top Bottom