Rolling Stone top 500 songs of all time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm old enough to remember when all such charts were topped by either Bohemian Rhapsody or Bridge over Troubled Water. Now the latter doesn't even make the top 50. It's always an interesting exercise to view such lists with an 'eternal v ephemeral' mindset, to try to compensate for the recent-bias. Aretha's Respect may not always be #1, but it'll surely always be in any top 20; I'd be very surprised if - to take just one example - Kanye West feat. Pusha T, 'Runaway' still makes such a chart in 2031.

OP
OP
P

purpan

I'm old enough to remember when all such charts were topped by either Bohemian Rhapsody or Bridge over Troubled Water. Now the latter doesn't even make the top 50. It's always an interesting exercise to view such lists with an 'eternal v ephemeral' mindset, to try to compensate for the recent-bias. Aretha's Respect may not always be #1, but it'll surely always be in any top 20; I'd be very surprised if - to take just one example - Kanye West feat. Pusha T, 'Runaway' still makes such a chart in 2031.
It’s a very good point. i also think we have to guard against inevitable value judgements that place the cultural icons of our formative years more highly than those of younger generations. I’m not a big Kanye fan, but I can see he has been innovative.

AndyRM

XOXO
Don't diss the Maiden, every track from The Number of the Beast, and Piece of Mind, albums should be in there.

I'm not dissing Maiden, they're one of my favourite bands so it's probably a good thing that they don't feature on the list, which is a joke.

Senjutsu is an absolute monster of an album BTW.

stephec

Legendary Member
I'm not dissing Maiden, they're one of my favourite bands so it's probably a good thing that they don't feature on the list, which is a joke.

I've not heard it yet, I might get down with the kids and do my first ever download. 😊

When The Backstreet Boys are higher up the list than AC DC then you're probably right that they're better off not being there.

240724161_4577216178997112_1566086069710039477_n.jpg

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

Also famously not in the Rock and Roll hall of fame.
Quite an achievement considering they have been almost single handedly responsible for a whole genre of music and playing sold out world tours for 40 years.
I’m sure they don’t care at all about the oversight and the millions in the bank will soften the pain.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Also famously not in the Rock and Roll hall of fame.
Quite an achievement considering they have been almost single handedly responsible for a whole genre of music and playing sold out world tours for 40 years.
I’m sure they don’t care at all about the oversight and the millions and in the bank will soften the pain.

I doubt they'd care either. The Rock'n'Roll Hall of fame is about as much nonsense as this list of songs.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It can't possibly be correct as the top 20 is lacking Stevie Ray Vaughan though, B.B King, Santana, Rush, Genesis, Buddy Guy, Rush and Boston. So there!

Top Bottom