Rolling Stone top 500 songs of all time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It’s all subjective isn’t it? You might as well just pick the 500 in any random order.

@Drago will be upset that least half should be from Motörhead.
indeed , i would say half of the the top 50 which is the only list i went through i thought shouldnt have even been in the 500 at all but like you say everyone has a different viewpoint or sponsers to keep happy :smile:

AndyRM

XOXO
Is that list a joke?

I mean I know everyone has different tastes in music, which is fine, but they've put some heavy-ish stuff in, but not Iron Maiden? Seriously?

stephec

Legendary Member
Is that list a joke?

I mean I know everyone has different tastes in music, which is fine, but they've put some heavy-ish stuff in, but not Iron Maiden? Seriously?
Don't diss the Maiden, every track from The Number of the Beast, and Piece of Mind, albums should be in there.

stephec

Legendary Member
Has anyone actually scrolled through the whole 500, or just done the same as me and looked at the top 100?

How can anyone find 60 songs better than Stairway to Heaven?

Dolorous Edd

OK. I can sort of see the appeal of some songs that I don't personally like. But really - Missy Elliot's Get Ur Freak On at number 8, with Aretha's Say a Little Prayer at number 117? They must surely be taking the p**s.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As much as I prefer the original list although there was always quite a few tracks I would skip, I will give this ago and try to resist skipping any first time through. I suspect I will want to skip more with this version.

Smells like Teen Spirit was both a superb song and one of generational importance, I’d say. Gimme Shelter was great, too, of course. I think there’s a fair amount of Stones in the list, in fact.

Seems to remember Teen Spirit was an attempt to write a Pixies song, who also made the top 500, and their Here Comes your Man was an attempt to write a Velvet Underground song, who also have 2 or 3 in the top 500.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
If we're sharing minor quibbles, I thought Fleetwood Mac Dreams (also Top 50) was a very odd choice, as there are so many better songs on that album, some of which can stop me in my tracks when I hear them!
Dreams was a big tiktok hit last year in lockdown.
It shows how fickle the whole process is.
The song is over 40 years old, has never been in the top 500 before and is now the 8th best song ever.

We used to spice up big meetings at work by daring people to introduce themed words and scoring them on how many they get away with undetected. We challenged my mate Paul to get as many Rolling Stones song titles as possible into an important meeting with the big chief. He ducked out, wimpishly. He could at least have called someone else "Angie" by mistake and he'd have scored at least one. Then the big boss, quite unexpectedly came out with "You can't always get what you want"!!!! Paul left the meeting with a score of minus 1, meaning I had the easiest of challenges at the next meeting, only having to score 0 to win.

You might have got bonus points for getting Sister Morphine or Honky Tonk Woman in there.

OP
OP
P

purpan

Haven't seen the list, expect they don't have 'Shaddap You Face' in there. Kept 'Vienna' from the number one slot back in 1980........ha ha.
Joe Dolce, who wrote and peformed Shaddup You Face, is a fascinating figure. A poet and academic, who has set Syvia Plath to music and is a fan of William Faulkner. Also campaigned against poor treatment of the Vietnamese boat people in Australia, where he lives.
plus, it is the world’s catchiest song ever, and should have been on the list as it was apparently number one in 15 countries.

Top Bottom