Roof racks and carbon fibre bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

User66445

The only type of bike rack my car will take is a roof-mounted one, which I've duly fitted. However, I'm wondering whether it is suitable for my Time, given the arm that holds the bike upright atttaches to the frame and has to be fairly tight to stop movement.

I'm told that CF frames aren't meant to be compressed, so am wondering what people here think - do I run the risk of damaging the bike?

Drago

Legendary Member
Everyone will have their own opinion, but the only people who can give you a definitive answer are the bike manufacturer...

Email contact@timesport.com

Drago

Legendary Member
Arent there roof mounted sysyems that hold the bikemupside down by the seat and handlebars, or the rightway up with the front fork dropouts clamped into the system? Someone will have been there before.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
I use these kind of bike racks for carbon frames - its fine, they can be held securely without compressing the tube, just be careful to make sure you don't overdo the tightness, it is possible to squeeze the frames so they go out of shape when clamped. The bike will be secured on both wheels as well, the arm in the middle just holds it in place really, stops it falling sideways.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You just need to appreciate that a carbon fibre reinforced frame is a massively stiff and strong structure, like a cardboard tube but like that tube it has little resistance to localised crushing or point impacts.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wrap the clamping point with an old inner tube ( to stop scratching) and carefully tighten. Its the same with any frame. Too tight you'll damage the paint. Just dont be ham fisted. The wheel straps hold the bike on. The clamp is to hold it upright.

Gary E

Veteran
Clio RS. I have contacted Time but no reply as yet.
No idea how much you want to spend but have you considered getting a tow bar fitted? I used roof bars for years but recently switched to a tow bar bike rack. Much better IMO. If the look of a tow bar on your car bothers you you can go for a concealed/removable ball option. You still have the clamp but I barely do mine up. Also use these...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thule-9840...64574&sr=8-1&keywords=thule+protectors+carbon

Last edited:
Top Bottom