Root Beer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Preferbaly A&W. Is there a national chain that sells it? I am sick of ordering it through Ebay, then running out, at inappropriate moments, like now, before the footie starts. :smile:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
What is Root Beer? :smile: Is it really made from roots? :wacko: And if so which roots? Parsnip, carrott........

thomas

the tank engine
twentysix by twentyfive said:
What is Root Beer? :smile: Is it really made from roots? :wacko: And if so which roots? Parsnip, carrott........

It's like a not so nice ginger beer type drink. :smile:

Think you can get it in spoons, so I can't imagine it's hard to get in a supermarket. Tesco's usually have a good booze section (even though it's not booze, they might be more likely to stock something a little bit more unusual.)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It's made from Sassafras root, and also known as sarsaparilla.

I think Waitrose does it. I've not seen it in Asda, although they do have an own-label Dandelion and Burdock at £1 for a 6-pack:biggrin:

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
If you like it (and plenty don't), you like it, nothing else will do when you want a "fix", like I do, right now. I have an A&W craving.

McDonalds used to sell it, Sainsbury's had their own label too but they were p-poor, like comparing Skol with Duvel.

There are loads of sad, unfulfilled root beer addicts in the UK, most buying off Ebay, I am amazed a national chain does not appear to stock it.

FatBloke

Über Member
It is,quite frankly, the most disgusting thing I've ever had in my mouth!!!
Like drinking liquified Germoline!!! xx(xx(:biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I agree. I tried it in the USA and nearly barfed - the main flavour ingredient is methyl salicylate, which is wintergreen!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Globalti said:
I agree. I tried it in the USA and nearly barfed - the main flavour ingredient is methyl salicylate, which is wintergreen!

I remember the bitter disappointment of my first taste of root beer. I'd imagined it to be divine from the way it was portrayed in American popular culture.

I really can not figure out how it has such a devoted following.

Arch

Married to Night Train
vernon said:
I remember the bitter disappointment of my first taste of root beer. I'd imagined it to be divine from the way it was portrayed in American popular culture.

A friend of mine went to the US and found the same - she said it tasted like creosote - or at least how she imagined creosote to taste...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
vernon said:

I had the same experience - truly horrible!

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's what you drank when you were a kid that you prefer later in life.

Doesn't explain whey I like beer so much though; I remember tasting my uncle's bitter at the age of around 7 and I hated it.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
It's a distinctive taste all right, I love it, had to order another 48 cans via Ebay, only a few days to wait :biggrin:

If I could only drink root beer and Duvel forever, I'd be happy. :thumbsup:

While working in LA county several years ago my co-workers took great amusement in all the perfectly normal things, to them, I'd never had or herd of. After one such conversation I was instructed to take my lunch forthwith, a bit rich as I was the boss, and go to the dinner on Melrose Ave and order a root beer float. As I had no idea what this was but am always open to new experiences, a policy which has lead me into tapioca related difficulty on one occasion, I complied and have never looked back.
Since quitting drink I'll happily sit drinking a root beer of an afternoon in the pub. Even though I know that the landlord knows that I know it's actually Dandelion and Burdock he gives me.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Sasparilly, and make it snappy :biggrin: I like it :thumbsup:

Yosemite.gif

Top Bottom