Rose Experts.... another question for you.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As I said previously, for the first time ever I am trying to look after our roses.
Today I noticed some black spot on the leaves plus some tiny creepy crawlies on the buds.
So.....I sprayed them with a well known brand. The instructions say......twice a year maxinum
30 minutes later the rain promised for tomorrow decided to arrive :blush:.
If it persists.......
a) will it wash the treatment off ?
b) in wish case should I respray when the rain stops ?

JhnBssll

Veteran
Not sure about the affect of rain but it's also important to remove the top layer of soil and dead leaves from around the rose where any infected leaves will have dropped to prevent the black spot from recurring.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The brown spots are called rust. I get it on mine. Most do. I am sure there is a chemical to stop it but we dont use chemicals. It wont stop your roses blooming. Some roses dont seem to get it. Next time you pick a rose at the garden centre. Pick a species without rust on it.
With regards to bugs. 2 solutions. Brush them of with a soft artist paintbrush or spray them with soapy water as often as you like. I use couple of drops of washing up liquid and water. It works. Leave the chemicals in the shed.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
The brown spots are called rust. I get it on mine. Most do. I am sure there is a chemical to stop it but we dont use chemicals. It wont stop your roses blooming. Some roses dont seem to get it. Next time you pick a rose at the garden centre. Pick a species without rust on it.
With regards to bugs. 2 solutions. Brush them of with a soft artist paintbrush or spray them with soapy water as often as you like. I use couple of drops of washing up liquid and water. It works. Leave the chemicals in the shed.
Nice one... thanks

classic33

Leg End Member
If the spots are black, not brown, it'll be a fungal infection. Not the same as "rust", and will eventually kill the roses.

There'll be a "drying time" for whatever you used, check and see if you'll have to spray again. If you need to it'll still count as spraying once.

Leaves change colour to yellow, you may lose the bush. Follow the advice on removing the leaves and soil, given above.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
As @steveindenmark says, for aphids (greenfly and blackfly) a few drops of fairy liquid in half a pint of water, sprayed on the plant until the water starts to run off the plant (undersides of leaves too)

Aphids breathe through pores in their skin. The fairy liquid blocks the pores and they suffocate.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
As @steveindenmark says, for aphids (greenfly and blackfly) a few drops of fairy liquid in half a pint of water, sprayed on the plant until the water starts to run off the plant (undersides of leaves too)

Aphids breathe through pores in their skin. The fairy liquid blocks the pores and they suffocate.
I know this is me being terminally dull, but isn't it the case that the FL acts as a wetting agent, allowing the water to wet/cover the aphid, such that they drown/suffocate?

Not really believing I posted that, either! :laugh:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I know this is me being terminally dull, but isn't it the case that the FL acts as a wetting agent, allowing the water to wet/cover the aphid, such that they drown/suffocate?

Cant I just put tiny plastic bags over thier heads to save me the mither :rolleyes:

Dave 123

Legendary Member

No, the water is the setting agent, the fairy is the pore blocker.

From the Thompson and Morgan website-

w do I control blackfly on my globe artichokes?
Globe Artichokes do tend to be prone to blackfly. The most commonly used non-chemical remedy is to spray them with soapy water. You can buy insecticidal soaps but many people make up their own using a teaspoon of washing up liquid diluted in 3 litres of water. The aphids are unable to breath under a coating of soap and subsequently suffocate. If you intend to try this then be sure to spray them on a dull day as spraying in full sun is likely to scorch the foliage.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
No, the water is the setting agent, the fairy is the pore blocker.

From the Thompson and Morgan website-

w do I control blackfly on my globe artichokes?
Globe Artichokes do tend to be prone to blackfly. The most commonly used non-chemical remedy is to spray them with soapy water. You can buy insecticidal soaps but many people make up their own using a teaspoon of washing up liquid diluted in 3 litres of water. The aphids are unable to breath under a coating of soap and subsequently suffocate. If you intend to try this then be sure to spray them on a dull day as spraying in full sun is likely to scorch the foliage.
Insects have waxy cuticles that repel water, hence they don't drown when it rains.

Soaps neutralise this repellant effect, by acting as a wetting agent, so soapy water blocks the breathing pores (spiracles) and they drown. It's what the quote is saying, too.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Not sure about the affect of rain but it's also important to remove the top layer of soil and dead leaves from around the rose where any infected leaves will have dropped to prevent the black spot from recurring.
Also, use the spray before the leaves burst out from the buds first thing in the spring. This stuff works well in keeping black spot and aphids at bay if you have a badly infected rose.
shopping

Top Bottom