Rose Knowledge.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So we have lived in our current abode circa 30 years and down one side of the front lawn there has always been six roses which despite my best efforts come back year after year.

Anyway rose number 3 is small white petals and has been for aforementioned 30 years.

So deadheading today and lo and behold a new branch has sprouted from the bottom of this rose and it has peach coloured flowers just about to open.

Is this a natural phenomenon or has is cross pollinated with one of the others?

midlife

Guru
Some sort of growth from the original graft?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Should be "White and pure bred". Accept no other colour.
Red roses only please!!:rose:
3f7c02612d2aef529125229696c69aa8.jpg

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Is the growth below or above the scion or graft?

In my opinion, I don’t think one should be too precious about roses. If it is old yank it out, and if it isn’t carrying any viruses, plant a modern variety in its place. There are some beauties to be bought these days.

Dave7

Legendary Member

In my opinion, I don’t think one should be too precious about roses. If it is old yank it out, and if it isn’t carrying any viruses, plant a modern variety in its place. There are some beauties to be bought these days.
I thought you couldn't/shouldn't plant roses where you have already had them??
I am interested as we have several old straggly ones that need to come up.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......

Agreed there are some beautiful looking ones, but, ye gods, most of them have hardly and scent at all. The David Austin ones have some, but from memory, my dad's were much more scented. Mind you, he probably also washed them with industrial quantities of chemicals, as one did back then.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I thought you couldn't/shouldn't plant roses where you have already had them??
I am interested as we have several old straggly ones that need to come up.

You could dig out the soil and replace it with new soil.
Or grow some in large pots.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Agreed there are some beautiful looking ones, but, ye gods, most of them have hardly and scent at all. The David Austin ones have some, but from memory, my dad's were much more scented. Mind you, he probably also washed them with industrial quantities of chemicals, as one did back then.
I have to disagree about the David Austin roses. OK, some are underwhelming, but most have a glorious strong scent, and unlike many old roses, are repeat-flowering.
That said, there's still space for old roses in our garden; out back we have a Gloire de Dijon and Rose de Rescht, as well as several David Austins; in the front a Mary Rose and Winchester Cathedral flank a Baron Girod de l'Ain. Quite often passers-by catch a scent from these - if they lean over to smell them it's nearly always the Baron they go for first.

Don't know all the technical terms but the new branch / stalk is coming from the main root of the rose (the nice green one on the right) Picture also of the new peach coloured buds about to open and the rest of the rose which had numerous small white flowers but I have just dead headed it.

IMG_20190802_163751510.jpg
IMG_20190802_163804793.jpg
IMG_20190802_163822760.jpg

Top Bottom