Rose Xeon CDX 3100 Di2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyJ14

Hello all. After a long journey deciding on a bike, spec'ing it up, ordering, waiting and now finally taking delivery I thought I'd share my experiences here in case it helps anyone else. I will update this thread again once I've had chance to put some mileage on the bike, this is really my experiences of it arriving and setting up. I know that when I was looking to buy there were very few detailed posts / reviews on Rose bikes.

Firstly I should add a little background for context. I purchased a Specialized Secteur approx 5 months ago and this is an upgrade. I'm a member of a club and ride close to 100 miles / week in the summer. I placed my order on the 3rd June and it arrived on the 18th August.

Delivery. Rose ship the bike via DHL in Germany, but then it is handed off to ParcelForce in the UK. You watch the website to find out when your delivery date will be and once PF have it they do not give any delivery estimates / updates, so you must simply wait in all day until it arrives.

When the bike arrived it had shifted in the box. The rear hub was no longer against the small protective pad which it must have started its journey against and had left a big impression in the side of the box. There seems to be no damage to the hub. The right brake covers were also imbedded in the side of the box and covered in dust from wearing against it. A damp cloth has removed all the dust and the remaining damage is very small. Finally the plastic spacer (I assume) designed to fit in the front disc brake callipers had fallen out and was in the bottom of the box. This is worrying as the brake levers are shipped fully depressed and cable tied.

On unpacking everything a few things strike the novice bike builder (me!). There is a manual for every component part (so a big pile of manuals). There is a no "quick setup guide" for idiots for my specification of bike. There is a big bag of spare parts which was split open.

Due to there being no idiots guide I used the Rose book and the dummies video on the website. However the video doesn't mention Disc brakes on a road bike, Thru Axles or Di2. The later isn't even mentioned in the Rose guide at all. I suspected in advance that this might be an issue so had emailed Rose to make sure everything was covered, I was assured it was all dead easy and fully covered by the instructions.

First issue was putting the front wheel on. The video / web assume you have QR on a road bike. All Thru Axle fittings I'd seen / used previously have a "flick" close mechanism like QR does, however these DT SWISS do not, after finding the manual for Wheels this confirmed that they simply twist tight ! Job done. Both wheels spin totally true and there's no rubbing from the brake calipers during my testing.

Next task was the disc brakes. After releasing the levers and fitting the front wheel they seem to work correctly. I do notice that there is a very small space between the Rotors and the Forks (1 or 2mm) and hope that as these become very hot this won't be an issue. There's also a fair amount of travel (levers) before the brakes bite, but I have nothing to compare against and haven't actually ridden it fully yet.

Then the big one. Di2. I obviously had not managed to connect the battery as the system was dead. Let me explain that there's actually nothing telling you that you need to connect the battery or how to do it, but I knew the battery was in the seatpost and the wire hanging out of the bike seemed logical to fit into the post. This time I had to call Rose. Got through to someone in 5 minutes and they explained that everyone with a Di2 bike calls them with this issue (!) and my attaching the battery with my fingers wasn't good enough I needed to use the tool. A tool I couldn't find (searched everywhere). All very good service and they offered to send me a new too.

So. Plan B. Bike into the car and over to the LBS. They quickly attached the battery very firmly with fingers and you heard it click home. Di2 fully operational! I simply hadn't forced it hard enough in because I'm new to this and Di2 components might be fragile and expensive. Whilst at the LBS I also purchased and had fitted the Shimano wireless Di2 transmitter. Very neat job ! The LBS explained that the tool wasn't much use for connecting the battery because the cable used on the connector was very thick and later I found the tool in the bottom of the box / doh !!

Back home and immediately the Di2 transmitter paired with the Garmin 1000 and displayed the information. Flawless ! Note the Di2 software was already current enough and didn't require updating to do this, which is a common issue. However I noticed that the Di2 is not setup correctly in terms of knowing the gears fitted. So it thinks it has a 53 / 39 up front (Compact actually fitted) and thinks that the rear cassette is off a TDF day on the flat not my 11-32, this probably doesn't make any difference to the workings and very few people would ever care or notice. Something people might care about is that the Di2 battery level is 40% (the Garmin reports it) so if not charged in a few weeks you risk running to 25% and the FD locking onto the small ring.

So now it's setup and ready to go - I hope. Although I may well nip down to the LBS again before I ride it far to make sure everything is as it should be. I would have done this last night, but they were all looking to go home.

How does it look ? Beautiful. But please beware that this is a Raw Carbon finish. Not a Matt painted uniform finish. So it looks mean, industrial and very cool. I'm not sure if I can imbed pictures here but will look into that later if anyone is interested.

So, after 1 day and no riding I'm relieved it's all delivered, setup and now looking forward to seeing how it rides. Sods law it's set to raid tonight !!

If anyone finds this vaguely interesting please let me know and I'll post more / if you have any questions ask away.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@rb58 ring any bells?

So. Plan B. Bike into the car and over to the LBS. They quickly attached the battery very firmly with fingers and you heard it click home. Di2 fully operational! I simply hadn't forced it hard enough in because I'm new to this and Di2 components might be fragile and expensive. Whilst at the LBS I also purchased and had fitted the Shimano wireless Di2 transmitter. Very neat job ! The LBS explained that the tool wasn't much use for connecting the battery because the cable used on the connector was very thick and later I found the tool in the bottom of the box / doh !!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks Andy.
I have been looking at the same bike.
Which colour combo did you get.

Edit: The red is shiney carbon, the Blue is matt carbon.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Must say I was surprised by the minimal packaging in the 'special' bike box. My bike had shifted too (it came across the North sea during a period of very stormy weather!), but with no perceptible damage. I did wonder whether it was the storm, or ParcelForce's rough handling. I had expected much more in the way of bubble wrap etc. IIRC my bike from Ribble had more protective pakaging. Mine was a standard road bike, so setting it up was a doddle, everything that needed it had carbon assembly paste pre-applied, and everything was perfectly adjusted.

OP
OP
AndyJ14

AndyJ14

everything that needed it had carbon assembly paste pre-applied, and everything was perfectly adjusted.

Agreed. Even down to there being grease already in crank pedal threads. Quality looks exceptional throughout.

All that Rose need to do is to produce an extra video to show to setup the Di2 and another to demonstrate the DT Swiss Thru Axles. The videos are fast and cheap to produce and they must have hundreds of customers new to both technologies.

Another point is that my chain had come off the FD, so I'm sure if it was shipped that way. If not then I'm not sure how you'd accomplish that trick without opening the box :scratch:

Nice, I luv my xeon :smile:

rb58

Enigma
The Connondale Synapse (hydraulic discs and Di2) I bought from thebikeshop.de came fully built and set up for UK. All I had to do was put the wheels on and install the seat post whilst connecting battery (I also didn't realise how 'firmly' you need to push it on). It was very well packed.

OP
OP
AndyJ14

AndyJ14

The Connondale Synapse (hydraulic discs and Di2) I bought from thebikeshop.de came fully built and set up for UK. All I had to do was put the wheels on and install the seat post whilst connecting battery (I also didn't realise how 'firmly' you need to push it on). It was very well packed.

Lovely bike RB. When it boils down to it that build is very similar to the Rose. You only have to put the front wheel on, tighten up the stem / bars, put the seat in (making sure to connect Di2) and you are away. If you are a savvy bike person then you'd have it ready in 5/10 minutes.

However this was my first time connecting a Di2 bike, first time using Thru Axle (with no folding lock) and overall I'm a novice bike mechanic who was being overly cautious. My thoughts are meant to help similar people and those with more exprience won't even be reading the instructions / will be 10 miles down the road before I'd got all the parts out of the box. ^_^

OP
OP
AndyJ14

AndyJ14

Very nice indeed.
How tall are you and what size frame you go for?

I'm 5ft 10 and went for the 57 frame. Rose don't measure frames the same way that several others do and I deliberated over 55 / 57 over a long weekend before placing the order. Finlay (UK Rose Rep) advised the 57 for my dimensions as he's virtually the same and rides a 57, he also advised on the different way of measuring the frame size. After this I compared the geometry on the Specialized Roubaix 56 (nearest thing to me existing bike) against the Rose 57 and they were sure enough almost identical.

huwsparky

Über Member
Lovely looking bike @AndyJ14. Do update this thread as you get more of a chance to ride it!

Still can't decide which one in which colour myself! Edging for the X lite Team though. The only thing holding me back is the whole disk brakes conundrum! Was thinking rim brakes as then both my bikes would be totally compatible.

May go to the cycle show next month to finally make up my mind!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Lovely looking bike @AndyJ14. Do update this thread as you get more of a chance to ride it!

Still can't decide which one in which colour myself! Edging for the X lite Team though. The only thing holding me back is the whole disk brakes conundrum! Was thinking rim brakes as then both my bikes would be totally compatible.

May go to the cycle show next month to finally make up my mind!

Try disc brakes and its the classic cliche... 'you won't go back'.

Top Bottom