Rose Xeon CDX 3100 Di2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
Very smart bike. :okay:

OP
OP
AndyJ14

AndyJ14

Not even with the wheels off?

I managed to span the USB cable down to the bike :okay: All the software on all the Di2 devices was bang up to date from Rose, so they must have taken the time to update everything. Quality !

The new Di2 transmitter however needed a tiny upgrade of 1 version. So I did at least feel I'd done something. And I charged the battery from 40% to 100% whilst I was at it.

I couldn't see a way to configure the Di2 components with the standard charger they give you. Only update them.

OP
OP
AndyJ14

AndyJ14

For anyone still reading…. A few more thoughts after actually riding the Rose.

First let me say that although this bike is slightly over 2kg lighter than my old bike, has better components, a carbon frame, new pedals and lovely matt paint job, I still didn't expect a huge improvement over the old bike. After all I weigh 75kg and therefore 2 is here nor there.

I have been proved very wrong though and in the best way. From being easier to carry down the stairs, to easier to ride up the hills this bike IS better in every way. The ride quality is excellent on the slightly ballooned 25's. The Di2 gears are amazing - I could play with the FD all day (whirr done - whirr done - whirr done…). Disc brakes are extremely effective, but I do need to think when using them in the wet, otherwise I'm skidding down the road.

Overall 100+ miles in I'm mightily impressed. I can't pin point any 1 thing that makes it better, that's one of the problems in upgrading everything all at once I guess.

I haven't noticed an undue "Buzz" that I've seen referring to in a review for a similar bike.

Negatives ? These is a rattle over bad road surfaces. It's so silky on smooth roads that this stands out more than normal. I'm working on locating it, but no luck so far, everything on the surface at least seems solid. Minor niggle.

Any questions, just ask.

jiberjaber

Veteran
For anyone still reading…. A few more thoughts after actually riding the Rose.

First let me say that although this bike is slightly over 2kg lighter than my old bike, has better components, a carbon frame, new pedals and lovely matt paint job, I still didn't expect a huge improvement over the old bike. After all I weigh 75kg and therefore 2 is here nor there.

I have been proved very wrong though and in the best way. From being easier to carry down the stairs, to easier to ride up the hills this bike IS better in every way. The ride quality is excellent on the slightly ballooned 25's. The Di2 gears are amazing - I could play with the FD all day (whirr done - whirr done - whirr done…). Disc brakes are extremely effective, but I do need to think when using them in the wet, otherwise I'm skidding down the road.

Overall 100+ miles in I'm mightily impressed. I can't pin point any 1 thing that makes it better, that's one of the problems in upgrading everything all at once I guess.

I haven't noticed an undue "Buzz" that I've seen referring to in a review for a similar bike.

Negatives ? These is a rattle over bad road surfaces. It's so silky on smooth roads that this stands out more than normal. I'm working on locating it, but no luck so far, everything on the surface at least seems solid. Minor niggle.

Any questions, just ask.

Over 3000 miles on mine now, been through a couple of chains and tyres.

I have an occasional rattle on mine which I think is the internal DI2 junction box inside the downtube - not there all the time but some road defects can cause it to happen.... When I first heard it, I thought I had snapped the frame! Other than that, it is super quiet as you say, the only time I notice it is so quiet is when I ride with others and hear their bikes!

Check for any cable rubbing on the frame, you might want to put a couple of the clear frame protector stickers on there before you get any scuffs.
On my none-disc bike, the front left hand side near the headtube where the rear brake and DI2 cable are spiral wrapped together can rub on the frame so I put one there.

SKS raceblades fit OK, but be careful 3 things.
1. Front top of mudguard can rub on under side of down tube, the plastic is harder than the gloss gel coat on the frame! I dremelled a flat on the guard bracket to give better clearance and added a frame protector.
2. The guards come with frame protectors, these work well but if you get grit in the feet of the mudguards and don't clean it out, it will eat through the frame protector and the frame gel coat.
3. I also dremmeled the corners of the front part of the rear mud guard, if it is miss aligned (it can happen when you are riding) it can make a mess of the carbon frame and you wont know about it until after the event.

Alternatively, only us it as a dry weather bike. :biggrin:

OP
OP
AndyJ14

AndyJ14

Thanks for the information JJ.

3000 miles ! How did you go through the 2 chains ? Simple wear and replace or did you snap them whilst riding ? Guess tyres are bound to wear out with that mileage and you are certainly getting VFM from the bike.

I've already checked the front cables and so far nothing seems to be rubbing, but I will keep a careful eye on this.

I will be taking option 4. I ride in the wet quite a few times, but always when I do it's because someone got the weather forecast wrong ^_^

OP
OP
AndyJ14

AndyJ14

After another weekend out on the bike it just keeps getting better and better. A combination of improving fitness and this bike is meaning that personal bests keep not only falling, but being smashed.

Right now I couldn't be happier with this purchase and the fact I hardly ever see another one is the icing on the cake. Almost all the people I ride with want to know more about it and the compliments it attracts for the design too are pretty much unanimous. This is one sleek looking stealth machine.

Finally the rattle. I took it into the LBS,they took it for a quick spin, dropped the BB out to take a look and diagnosed a cable bouncing around inside the downtube. They have packed it to resolve the issue, tested it and think it's fixed. I haven't have the chance since to take it out and prove it, looking forward to Wednesday to give it a try.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
How are you finding that SLS saddle? I've recently changed mine to a saddle with standard rails (you don't have to buy another seatpost, you can change just the clamp. I noticed recently that Chain Reaction now stock them http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ritchey-link-seatpost-clamp/rp-prod130383 When I bought one a year or so ago I couldn't find them anywhere, and eventually found one at one of the German suppliers). BTW have you seen what you have to pay to buy just that seatpost by itself? How do Rose do it?

OP
OP
AndyJ14

AndyJ14

How are you finding that SLS saddle? BTW have you seen what you have to pay to buy just that seatpost by itself? How do Rose do it?

Before riding it (sat indoors setting the bike up) I thought "this is going to be uncomfortable". But once out on the road I've never had any issues, considering all new saddles take a little time to wear in this is high praise. If anything I do find it a little "slippy" and I can slide along the seat quite easily, not sure if this will change as it wears in.

Whilst at the LBS I asked regarding the saddle fit (as they sell the brand and do their fitting service). They said it was fairly close to what they would recommend anyway. Although exact style / model is always personal preference of course.

Never looked up the seatpost cost. Expensive I take it. I will try not to fasten the clamp too tight and be careful with the bike stand clamp :whistle:

Good tip on the rails but so far I have no issues with the current one. Bag fits to it perfectly, my arse seems happy with it so far :okay:

OP
OP
AndyJ14

AndyJ14

Hi Ian. I'm cycling circa 100 miles a week at the moment and the bike is simply fantastic, cannot fault it and full of praise. I've done my first strip down of the chain / etc and re-oiled, bought myself a bike stand to make basic maintenance a lot easier and had my first minor incident snapping one side of the chain whilst accelerating and changing gear uphill.

In comparison to my previous Secteur (Ali frame, Sora equipped) there is a quantum difference which I wasn't really expecting, but is definitely real. The bike is much lighter (even with discs and Di2) and all my favourite Strava times have taken a tumble.

The bike is smooth. I don't find it "crashy" in any way and as I ride constantly over bad surfaces I'm a pretty good guage of comfort. I don't notice any "buzz" either that 1 reviewer described on a similar bike, only exactly what I'd expect considering I'm sat on a 7.5kg bike with no suspension.

I love the "wide" 25mm tyres that balloon out to nearer 28. They look great, inspire confidence, grip well in all conditions and so far still look like new with zero issues after around 500 miles.

I've had no trouble with the saddle either. At first I thought it might be a bit hard, but that proved unfounded once on the road. I've done a few rides over 50 miles and not had any issues. It is a saddle you can slide easily forward / back on though and this may bother some more than others. It also matches the colour of the bike perfectly.

Still getting many admiring comments and questions. I've never yet met another person riding ANY Rose, which I definitely enjoy. It's great to not be following the crowd and to have something fairly unique.

The Di2 remains flawless. I use the rear gear display on my Garmin all the time and never have to look back to the cassette to know how many gears are left / when to change front rings.

And it looks the mutts nuts.

huwsparky

Über Member
Rose had a copy of your bike on their stand at the NEC @AndyJ14, lovely looking bike it is too. Totally unrivalled in the VFM stakes and like you say very rare. What is there not to like...

From a personal point of view the Canyon ultimate looked lovely in the flesh too but it's gonna have to be the X lite Team for me I think. Just need to convince myself of spending 2.5k on a bike when I have a perfectly good one as it is!

Top Bottom