Rose Xeon CDX 3100 Di2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AndyJ14

AndyJ14

Lovely looking bike @AndyJ14Still can't decide which one in which colour myself! Edging for the X lite Team though. The only thing holding me back is the whole disk brakes conundrum! Was thinking rim brakes as then both my bikes would be totally compatible.

Thanks, glad you like it.

I went for disc's simply because they stop better in many conditions, last longer and pretty soon (when the UCI approves them) almost every road bike will come equipped with them. But if compatibility with the other bike is important then you won't go far wrong with rim brakes, lets face it they've been stopping us fine for many years and they are still lighter :okay:

OP
OP
AndyJ14

AndyJ14

Lovely bike. I like the display of gears on the Garmin - would save me having to peer down at the rear sprocket all the time!

Thanks WTT. That's exactly the reason that I added the wireless transmitter. Some will think it's pointless but to me I do look back at the rear cassette to see how many gears I have left. Especially on hills, and the longer / steeper they are the more often I check. ;) One day I'll do this and ride into the rider in front / hit a pothole, so for me this is a nice safety feature. Look very cool too :whistle:

Btw. If you are so inclined I believe that all the gear data is logged during the ride by the Garmin. I saw a few tools many months ago that allow you to interogate this and therefore see what gear you were using at what points in the ride. Too much data for me, but some might love that option.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
I do look back at the rear cassette to see how many gears I have left. Especially on hills, and the longer / steeper they are the more often I check. ;).

Yup - I do that. Was amused to hear one of the commentators on the TdF say "he's clearly in trouble on this climb, as he's looking down at his gears - always a bad sign". I thought "yep, that's me!".

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just the other side of Bromley. Not that far away.

Cool.
Would love to meet up one day and have a look. I'm just down the A21 near Farnborough.
And of course commute through Bromley every day.

if you are looking for longer rides of between 50-100+ miles then we have a little gaggle of Cycle Chaters that do such things. You would be more then welcome.

OP
OP
AndyJ14

AndyJ14

Cool.
Would love to meet up one day and have a look. I'm just down the A21 near Farnborough. if you are looking for longer rides of between 50-100+ miles then we have a little gaggle of Cycle Chaters that do such things. You would be more then welcome.

I'm sure we can arrange that.

Thanks for the offer on the rides. I've not been cycling that long though and 50 (let alone 100+) miles is still a long ride for me. Most of my rides are short blasts in comparison (with the club) of around 25-30 miles. A lot would depend on the speed you guys ride and the amount of climbing in there too. But I'm improving each month and that's what counts :okay:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
We're not fast bud and we try to stay away from the hills :okay: We are all old (ish) gits.. :becool:
We usually head for Yalding for breakfast on a Sunday (50 mile round trip), Places like Ashford, Brighton. Essex, Surrey and Kent for 100 milers.

There is also the Sunday London Cycle Chat ride which is usually the second sunday of the month meeting up near Hyde Park for a pootle, coffee and cake..

jiberjaber

Veteran
Back home and immediately the Di2 transmitter paired with the Garmin 1000 and displayed the information. Flawless ! Note the Di2 software was already current enough and didn't require updating to do this, which is a common issue. However I noticed that the Di2 is not setup correctly in terms of knowing the gears fitted. So it thinks it has a 53 / 39 up front (Compact actually fitted) and thinks that the rear cassette is off a TDF day on the flat not my 11-32, this probably doesn't make any difference to the workings and very few people would ever care or notice. Something people might care about is that the Di2 battery level is 40% (the Garmin reports it) so if not charged in a few weeks you risk running to 25% and the FD locking onto the small ring.

The cassette and front ring settings are set on the Garmin, not the DI2 itself, though I guess you might have found that by now? You don't need to know the actual teeth, as there are some presets for cassettes, eg: 11spd 11-28, 11-32 etc. That was my first mistake when I first set up my Di2 with the Garmin.

It's certainly worth hooking the DI2 up to the computer and running the e-tube software, whilst they may be current version - there are software updates almost monthly for most parts. You can also up the shifting speed as well using the software, which makes it an even better feature (YMMV of course :smile: )

Rose do a great exchange programme on stems and seats within the first month, I'd recommend getting a bike fit to make sure the stem and seat are right for you. I had to get a different stem and seat, which with Rose just involved a phone call and a payment to cover none return, they then shipped it straight out with a return postage for the exchange item.

Mine was OK in its special bike box and was DHL all the way to my door (a big artic which struggled to get in our road!) but I did have an issue with the rear wheel true which they offered my £15 towards getting fixed...

OP
OP
AndyJ14

AndyJ14

The cassette and front ring settings are set on the Garmin, not the DI2 itself, though I guess you might have found that by now? You don't need to know the actual teeth, as there are some presets for cassettes, eg: 11spd 11-28, 11-32 etc. That was my first mistake when I first set up my Di2 with the Garmin.

It's certainly worth hooking the DI2 up to the computer and running the e-tube software, whilst they may be current version - there are software updates almost monthly for most parts. You can also up the shifting speed as well using the software, which makes it an even better feature (YMMV of course :smile: )

Rose do a great exchange programme on stems and seats within the first month, I'd recommend getting a bike fit to make sure the stem and seat are right for you. I had to get a different stem and seat, which with Rose just involved a phone call and a payment to cover none return, they then shipped it straight out with a return postage for the exchange item.

Mine was OK in its special bike box and was DHL all the way to my door (a big artic which struggled to get in our road!) but I did have an issue with the rear wheel true which they offered my £15 towards getting fixed...

Thanks for the heads up on that JJ. I will look into the Garmin Di2 settings this evening. I hadn't looked at it since as it's information I am unlikely to display on the bike. As long as I know the Di2 battery life and the gear I'm in on the rear cassette I'm happy.

Appreciate I should hook it up to the computer, but unfortunately my PC is a very big rig designed for gaming in a very tight space up some spiral stairs in the top of the flat. Not a place very easy to take a bike. I've also heard stories of the auto-update going for the wrong component first and then making it impossible to update anything else or change gear without the more expensive interface box being used. So was happy to leave it alone. Do the gears not change fast enough ? :ohmy:

Definitely going to get the stem checked. Pretty sure the seat is fine (I actually have it quite low in the 57 frame).

OP
OP
AndyJ14

AndyJ14

We're not fast bud and we try to stay away from the hills :okay: We are all old (ish) gits.. :becool:
We usually head for Yalding for breakfast on a Sunday (50 mile round trip), Places like Ashford, Brighton. Essex, Surrey and Kent for 100 milers.

There is also the Sunday London Cycle Chat ride which is usually the second sunday of the month meeting up near Hyde Park for a pootle, coffee and cake..

Potentially interesting. Although its still a LONG way and I know a lot of people that have a totally different idea to me of the terms "flat", "not that hilly" and "not that fast" ;)

jiberjaber

Veteran
Thanks for the heads up on that JJ. I will look into the Garmin Di2 settings this evening. I hadn't looked at it since as it's information I am unlikely to display on the bike. As long as I know the Di2 battery life and the gear I'm in on the rear cassette I'm happy.

Appreciate I should hook it up to the computer, but unfortunately my PC is a very big rig designed for gaming in a very tight space up some spiral stairs in the top of the flat. Not a place very easy to take a bike. I've also heard stories of the auto-update going for the wrong component first and then making it impossible to update anything else or change gear without the more expensive interface box being used. So was happy to leave it alone. Do the gears not change fast enough ? :ohmy:

Definitely going to get the stem checked. Pretty sure the seat is fine (I actually have it quite low in the 57 frame).

Its a light bike designed to be carted up stairs :laugh: (I think I did my first one on a similar PC, but not spiral staircase)

I'm not sure the update issues effects the seat post battery style DI2.

The DI2 settings on the Garmin are under the Sensors page of the settings, the select your DI2 sensor, then Sensor Details then either Front Gears or Rear Gears, top selection on each page is the presets. :okay:

I did have a page with all the different displays on when I first set it up, just to see what was there, but now I just display battery and gear ratio. I have it on a page I don't often use with other less used info like ave speed etc.
effects

OP
OP
AndyJ14

AndyJ14

Thanks again JJ. Garmin's configured :okay:

Don't think the bike is ever going up those spiral stairs though. Perhaps I can get a long USB cable that will reach down....

Top Bottom