Rotary engine vs piston engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

My ****el is high on emissions
What's it like pulling off?

This what I call a rotary engine:

radialmotorcycle.jpg

From what I remember of road tests I have read, rotary engines are smooth and revvy, so fun to use aggressively. But when you do so, you pay for it in heavy fuel consumption. Even in "real world" driving, I believe they are expensive on fuel.....

mustang1

Guru
I think people just got scared of the "gotta rebuild it at 100,000 miles" mantra.

Fantastically smooth engine but I didn't care much for the lack of noise. Back in '89 when I used to drive a black convertible rx7, it was my first encounter with law enforcement. I guess they would have asked me to slow down if they had caught me.

tyred

Legendary Member
Hang on, isn't a rotary engine one with normal pistons but arranged in a circular fashion, whereas a w@nkel engine is a different proposition altogether?

Think you might be thinking on a radial engine as fitted to US aircraft c 1940.
radial.jpeg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yep. I was thinking of a radial engine. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Actually there is also a rotary engine which looks just like the radial engine above - but the cylinders revolve with the propeller and the crankshaft is fixed to the plane. Example is the Bentley BR2 as fitted to Sopwith Camel. They weren't used much after WW1 as the gyroscopic forces made them dangerous to fly.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Actually there is also a rotary engine which looks just like the radial engine above - but the cylinders revolve with the propeller and the crankshaft is fixed to the plane. Example is the Bentley BR2 as fitted to Sopwith Camel. They weren't used much after WW1 as the gyroscopic forces made them dangerous to fly.

and here's a model of one...

View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ8GUTaXLN8#

There's a brilliant model engineering book on how to make one from scratch. I have the book, but bought it as a work of art rather than intending to make one

sidevalve

Über Member
As above there are rotary aero [whole lot spins] radial aero [cylinders stay still, prop spins] Wa---l engine [internal rotor] AND for anyone who fancies a bit of research there was the umpleby engine [not 100% sure on the spelling] a clever rotary jobby designed back in the fifties. It had everything including a strange name.

gbb

Legendary Member
Reminds me of watching motorcycle racing in maybe the 80s or 90s, one of the faster classes. Nortons were running the rotary engines, Kawasaki et al were running traditional engines. IRRC, there were arguements regarding capacity, the rotary could be judged to have larger CC compared to normal bikes, but what i remember was ...watching the Nortons ABSOLUTELY leave all the competition utterly dead, the acceleration was phenomenal. Trouble was, as soon they reached any bend, the remainder caught up. I dont know whether the Norton frame was crud or perhaps the engine type dictated a high centre of gravity, rendering them unstable when cornering.
RX8s are high revving, high fuel consumption, very hard to drive anywhere economically, but, very fast and free revving. I always liked them visually, but being a tightwad....

Top Bottom