Roundabout SMIDSY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
really?

hard to tell apart the genuine smidsy, the 'look and misjudge speed' and the 'seen you just fine but don't care incident', I get a fair smattering of all, especially the last two lately

Tynan said:
really?

hard to tell apart the genuine smidsy, the 'look and misjudge speed' and the 'seen you just fine but don't care incident', I get a fair smattering of all, especially the last two lately

These are certainly the one's that I come across most often, especially the last one!!!

MERV

Tynan said:
really?

The sun was behind me so I could actually believe the motorist was telling the truth.

MERV

Cant seem to edit.No I can truthfully say I can't remember when I had a SMIDSY must be that incident a few years ago.Surprising really because I dont think my hi viz is that brilliant but the motorists seem to see it.I wonder if it's because it's a mixture of the red and yellow hi-viz thingy.

I see other cyclists with better cleaner one colour hi-viz which looks effective.

domd1979

Veteran
A not untypical scenario on a mini-roundabout this morning:

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Agt6dJjlvw0

Not mega close, but the 4x4 bloke ought really to have given way, especially as he looked straight at me as he steamed over the roundabout. Its one of those annoying mini roundabouts that is laid out in a way which means drivers don't slow down at all for going straight on along the main road.

Night Train

Maker of Things
The thing is a lot of drivers probably, if they saw you in the first place, think cyclist = slow so plenty of time to get out first. They forget that slow or not they are still obliged to give way.

I get them that close when I'm in my car but that is probably the metalic green invisibility paint that my car came in.

domd1979

Veteran
Yep, I do - I've done a couple of emergency stops at that very roundabout in the motor.

Must ask the garage to investigate why the cloaking device keeps switching itself on intermittently...

Night Train said:
I get them that close when I'm in my car but that is probably the metalic green invisibility paint that my car came in.

MERV

Night Train said:
This is why I do a left shoulder check before turning left if there is any chance of a cyclist being there.

Reminds me of that coach driver the other day.Undertook him and got into a sticky situation.No doubt I will get caned on here.Thought stay calm and dont move but he actually looked in his left mirror and saw me there and was going to let me through but I waved him on.Well done mr coach driver.:evil:

Got it on film somewhere.

Night Train

Maker of Things
domd1979 said:
Must ask the garage to investigate why the cloaking device keeps switching itself on intermittently...
I got 'T Boned' six weeks ago by a chap who thought my car was the gap in the line of traffic. Still recovering from the whiplash.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
MERV said:
In my job it's easy to misread signals if you get caught with another light source.I would guess this is what happens on the road.Also the brain doesn't register properly for various reasons including tiredness and perhaps how many drugs have been taken the night before.Also im under the impression that the older driver cannot see as well in the dark.

That may be, but there's still no excuse for pulling out in front of an oncoming very bright light source as in my video. Driver was a twit and realised he'd screwed up, as shown by his/her little swerve to the left hand side.

I'm with Tynan on the types of SMIDSY.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
MERV said:
Cant seem to edit.No I can truthfully say I can't remember when I had a SMIDSY must be that incident a few years ago.Surprising really because I dont think my hi viz is that brilliant but the motorists seem to see it.I wonder if it's because it's a mixture of the red and yellow hi-viz thingy.

I see other cyclists with better cleaner one colour hi-viz which looks effective.

The hiviz debate aside, this particular situation is one where it definitely won't help. It's night time, so the flou won't be working (unsurprisingly, as it's part of hiviz design for daytime use), and the reflectives won't be reflecting back towards the driver since there is no light source on his vehicle pointing towards me. Lastly, even if there was a light source, the reflectives would be mostly obscured by the much brighter light of the Fenix.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
really?

Known reasons for all three:

1. Inattentional blindness.

2. Accommodation reflex (particularly at night).

3. Driver is a selfish twat.

MERV

BentMikey said:
The hiviz debate aside, this particular situation is one where it definitely won't help. It's night time, so the flou won't be working (unsurprisingly, as it's part of hiviz design for daytime use), and the reflectives won't be reflecting back towards the driver since there is no light source on his vehicle pointing towards me. Lastly, even if there was a light source, the reflectives would be mostly obscured by the much brighter light of the Fenix.

Doesn't wash.Motorists don't always see a bright light as it blends in with other things.Dark clothing at night is only good for a burglar.Come to think of it I've never seen a burglar who wears hi-viz to go about his job.I have reflective strips and they are handy.Probably haven't got enough.

How many fenix have you got?

Anyway waste of time discussing it.Tata.

Only one other point...Why does it only happen to you and not me for a few years?

Only problem I have is with peds as they dont look properly and I am aware of this situation popping up time after time.Im aware that if a motorist doesn't look properly or at least twice then it's the same thing as with peds.

As I said though waste of time discussing it as we will never reach agreement if we discussed this for a million years..

Top Bottom