Roundabout SMIDSY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MERV

BentMikey said:
The hiviz debate aside, this particular situation is one where it definitely won't help. It's night time, so the flou won't be working (unsurprisingly, as it's part of hiviz design for daytime use),
and the reflectives won't be reflecting back towards the driver since there is no light source on his vehicle pointing towards me.
Lastly, even if there was a light source, the reflectives would be mostly obscured by the much brighter light of the Fenix.

Street lamps and car headlights?

Oh silly me they must be switched off at night.

domtyler

Über Member
Cycling home the other night, I was quite close up behind a car and there were a young Chinese(?) couple waiting to cross. They walked out just as the car in front passed them right into my path, I instinctively let rip with a fearsome, almost an animal sounding "OOOIIIIIIIIII", it was a completely reflex action but I was extremely pleased with it.

And so were they, they quite literally jumped out of their skins and the girl screamed her head off, and then just after, all the people in the oncoming cars were laughing their heads off at them. :evil::biggrin::biggrin:

Certainly did the trick as it stopped them dead in their tracks. I thought at the time that there would certainly have been no time for an Airzound in that situation.

MERV

You are very naughty dom.BM will tell you off now.:evil::biggrin::biggrin:

Seriously though these people should be taught good pavement craft instead of just walking out willy nilly.

I now review how I cross the roads now as a ped and tend to use the ped lights more and be patient and wait for the lights to change.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
MERV said:
Street lamps and car headlights?

Oh silly me they must be switched off at night.

The point being, that neither of those are close enough to the driver's eyes, nor are they shining from him towards me. That's why neither the reflective strips on a high vis vest nor the reflectors on my bike will be visible to the errant driver in this *specific* situation. Regardless, it's irrelevant with such a bright front light. There's no way the motorist could have looked and not seen me. Either he looked, saw me, and went anyway, or he didn't look and wouldn't have seen a fecking bus.

As for your point about a Fenix light blending in with other things. On a country road? Ahahahahahaha! It wouldn't blend in in an urban environment either.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
MERV said:
...Come to think of it I've never seen a burglar who wears hi-viz to go about his job.I have reflective strips and they are handy.Probably haven't got enough.

Anecdotally, I've heard of a few people in this line of work who don a road mender type hi-vis vest (not heard of any at night mind) as people tend to assume that they're allowed in places they shouldn't be.

Mikey's right re: the Hi-Viz at night, as far as I know, because it relies specifically on an ultraviolet component being present in the ambient light (not present in street lighting or car lights as far as I know). Hi-Viz tends to look sort of grey under street lights, as I recall (Winter seems a long time ago now :evil: )

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh, I was only discussing the reflective component of a hiviz vest, which is for nighttime. The fluo component is designed for daylight, this is why hiviz vests have both fluo and reflective parts.

MERV

BentMikey said:
Oh, I was only discussing the reflective component of a hiviz vest, which is for nighttime. The fluo component is designed for daylight, this is why hiviz vests have both fluo and reflective parts.

Aye you are right there lad.

MERV

John the Monkey said:
Anecdotally, I've heard of a few people in this line of work who don a road mender type hi-vis vest (not heard of any at night mind) as people tend to assume that they're allowed in places they shouldn't be.

Mikey's right re: the Hi-Viz at night, as far as I know, because it relies specifically on an ultraviolet component being present in the ambient light (not present in street lighting or car lights as far as I know). Hi-Viz tends to look sort of grey under street lights, as I recall (Winter seems a long time ago now :biggrin: )

What does dark clothing look like?:smile:

Well I must be doing something right and if it isn't my hi-viz and reflective strips it must be my wit charm and flashing smile.

Motorists are weirdo's.They seem to see my Hi-Viz but dont seem to see mikeys super bright front lights brighter than the sun which young mikey raves about.:sad:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
BentMikey said:
Oh, I was only discussing the reflective component of a hiviz vest, which is for nighttime.

Gah, my bad, ignore me :smile:

domtyler

Über Member
BentMikey said:
So Hackers, what did I or someone else do to yank your chain so badly?

Makes rather a pleasant change for you to be on the receiving end rather than me! :smile:

BentMikey said:
So Hackers, what did I or someone else do to yank your chain so badly?

Mike,

Your always telling me to chill out, I think it is my turn now... I think hackers knows that this is a bit of a raw nerve for you so he is trying to yank your chain. Just be thankful that a more intelligent member of the cyclechat community hasn't started posting pro hi-viz comments in this thread, like myself for instance......:smile::tongue::tongue::biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
MERV said:
What does dark clothing look like?:smile:

Under streetlight? Sort of grey, if I'm honest :sad:

where dark clothing does become dangerous at night (imo) is on unlighted stretches - I remember last winter following two lads who all but disappeared once the street lighting did on my commute - I knew they were there because I'd seen them earlier on, but quicker moving traffic that hadn't seen them on the lighted stretch would have seen them very late indeed.

(As it turns out, they got around the danger of not being seen on the road by hopping up on the pavement... :/ )

Top Bottom