Roundabout SMIDSY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
Mike,

Your always telling me to chill out, I think it is my turn now... I think hackers knows that this is a bit of a raw nerve for you so he is trying to yank your chain. Just be thankful that a more intelligent member of the cyclechat community hasn't started posting pro hi-viz comments in this thread, like myself for instance......:sad::tongue::tongue::biggrin:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks a lot Magna, I have just spat a mouthful of tea all over my monitor!!! :smile: :biggrin:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Magnatom, oh I'm not stressed over it, but I do wonder why Hackers has apparently gotten so wound up. Hackers, sorry mate, I didn't mean to wind you up and make you go off on one.

Origamist

Legendary Member
MERV said:
Well I must be doing something right and if it isn't my hi-viz and reflective strips it must be my wit charm and flashing smile.

Or maybe it's your "larger" frontal profile - a bigger BMI could be your saviour...:smile:

Actually, just thinking about it, would I make myself more visible if I had large plastic shopping bags full of shopping hanging from my handlebars, was visibly drunk, and was singing at the top of my voice?
Not that I have seen that sort of thing here in Glasgow, you understand....:smile:

Origamist

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Actually, just thinking about it, would I make myself more visible if I had large plastic shopping bags full of shopping hanging from my handlebars, was visibly drunk, and was singing at the top of my voice?
Not that I have seen that sort of thing here in Glasgow, you understand....:smile:

I was only partly joking Magnatom - a recent study from NZ (not entirely robust) found that people with a larger BMI were involved in less cycle crashes. Increasing your frontal profile, may make a difference...

Origamist said:
I was only partly joking Magnatom - a recent study from NZ (not entirely robust) found that people with a larger BMI were involved in less cycle crashes. Increasing your frontal profile, may make a difference...

Are you sure that they don't just move slower and so have more time to react?

Origamist

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Are you sure that they don't just move slower and so have more time to react?

Actually, according to the same study, slower cyclists were involved in more crashes. But this is another issue.

Origamist said:
Actually, according to the same study, slower cyclists were involved in more crashes. But this is another issue.

Origamist,

Which study was this? I'd be interested to see if it is worth eating some more cream buns!

Seriously though I would be interested in reading it.

By the way, if it is not too cheeky to ask, you seem to have an eye on the research, what is you background in this if any?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Origamist said:

Excellent news, the diet stops now. :smile:

Origamist

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Origamist,

Which study was this? I'd be interested to see if it is worth eating some more cream buns!

Seriously though I would be interested in reading it.

By the way, if it is not too cheeky to ask, you seem to have an eye on the research, what is you background in this if any?

I've cited it previously: http://www.industrializedcyclist.com/conspicuitytaupo.pdf

It's a 2008 study and it's findings are worth discussing at length.

If you go to the industrializedcyclist research pages you will find links to dozens of papers pertaining to cycling and many are well worth reading.

My background: a cyclist of 29 years standing (I do not include the weeks when I had stabilizers).

MERV

BentMikey said:
Magnatom, oh I'm not stressed over it, but I do wonder why Hackers has apparently gotten so wound up. Hackers, sorry mate, I didn't mean to wind you up and make you go off on one.

eh? what?

Im not I was just stating an opinion.

Dunno whats gone wrong here.Are we all smoking Jamacian woodbines or what?

Top Bottom