Route advice needed in South West England.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

johnblack

Über Member
I really appreciate all the comments, there's plenty to think about.

Further info is that start point is near Towcester and early morning, so A5 - A43 to Brackley as at that time of day the roads will be quiet and we'll have a support van that will stay behind us for that part, as traffic builds get off the main roads and support will go ahead and meet us at specific points and be on call. Current plan is down to Burford, Cricklade and Malmesbury, picking up the Fosse Way to Bath, that's when it gets a bit more hazy! Current route including Bridgewater Taunton is about 190m and elevation of about 9500ft . Preference is to keep it quiet but realise that isn't always possible, I will update as I finesse the final route and am glad of any ideas to help.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
...Just one question: why does it leave N24 between Midford and Radstock?

CAVEAT: Route designed by Dave Atkinson of Road CC :whistle: (Likes clean bikes)

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Further info is that start point is near Towcester and early morning, so A5 - A43 to Brackley as at that time of day the roads will be quiet and we'll have a support van that will stay behind us for that part, as traffic builds get off the main roads and support will go ahead and meet us at specific points and be on call. Current plan is down to Burford, Cricklade and Malmesbury, picking up the Fosse Way to Bath, that's when it gets a bit more hazy!
That bit makes sense to me (I'm from near MK originally), but cycle.travel/map suggests going through Witney-Carterton rather than Burford might save 100m climbing for the cost of a mile, but I know Burford's prettier!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

johnblack

Über Member
That bit makes sense to me (I'm from near MK originally), but cycle.travel/map suggests going through Witney-Carterton rather than Burford might save 100m climbing for the cost of a mile, but I know Burford's prettier!
Could make a nice cafe stop, if I'm doing a 200 mile day the least I can ask is for a couple of pleasant places to stop.

Ajax Bay

Guru
With all due respect to you
Let me know the last time you did 300km in a day and thoroughly enjoyed that nice little canal path or wiggly NCN or your plans for one in the future. The Strawberry Line is nice but off route. And visiting Bath sets you up for a climbing fest.
I would try to avoid Chippenham . The A350 is very busy !
I agree, which is why the route I shared (and we'll be taking on the Easter Arrow to York, and I rode on 1 Jan) 'avoids Chippenham' and joins the A350 for less than 2km before diving off on a (good) side road.
. . . start point is near Towcester and early morning, so A5 - A43 to Brackley as at that time of day the roads will be quiet and we'll have a support van that will stay behind us for that part, . . . . Current plan is down to Burford, Cricklade and Malmesbury, picking up the Fosse Way to Bath, that's when it gets a bit more hazy! Current route including Bridgewater Taunton is about [300km] and elevation of about [2800m] .
It's a long day so if I can cut out a bit of elevation I'm going to do it. I'm also keen to stay off A roads as much as I can.
Here's an amended route from Towcester to Exeter https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29332918?beta=false taking the (dual carriageway) A43 (trunk) road in the early morning. 282km and 2091m compares rather favourably with 300km and 2800m climb. Just saying.
Btw, John - not clear to me how you can say "keen to stay off A roads' and then say 'we'll be heading down the (dual carriageway) A43 (trunk) road for 15 miles'?
On your line "Burford, Cricklade and Malmesbury, picking up the Fosse Way to Bath":
When you seek to cross the A419 near Latton (to get to Cricklade), there are 2 cycle route options: one by the slip road and the other at the north of Latton village.
There some 'off road' options on the Fosse Way SW of Malmesbury (which I've done (as part of two different 300 audaxes) on 25s) and if you then head down to Bath (via Wraxalls/Batheaston) then definitely take the twin tunnels and the cycle path to Wellow (fine on 25s) and across/down to Radstock.
Have a close look at the Exmouth Exodus route @Heltor Chasca shared for ideas SW from there. When I've been heading home from Bath I've gone SSW out of Radstock, climb!, B3139 through Wells and turn S to Westhay, B3151 (and its continuum) Shapwick, High (!) Ham, to Langport (and then see the route I've just shared over the Blackdowns).
The A38 is . . . mostly very very dull.
Agree with that.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Let me know the last time you did 300km in a day and thoroughly enjoyed that nice little canal path or wiggly NCN or your plans for one in the future. The Strawberry Line is nice but off route.
What the blazes? I pay respect to you and in reply you kick me when I've just been put on another two meds?!?!? :rolleyes:

And no one mentioned the Strawberry Line until you, probably because it's off route. N24 is the Two Tunnels.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@mjr I hope that your meds achieve their aim and sorry your long rides are thus moderated.
I think the slight aggravation in the difference in advice is founded on the ambivalence which the OP has shared between saying "keen to stay off A roads' and then say 'we'll be heading down the (dual carriageway) A43 (trunk) road'. The NCNs you shared have nice stretches but for a 300km day's ride they are time sinks, mostly. If the OP took @Aravis 's design and went west and then SW (accepting that torpidity of the A38 down to Bristol) than the Strawberry Line can come into play - I used that as an example (like the Two Tunnels and along to Wellow) of cycle paths on which good progress can be made and climb and traffic (motorised) avoided.
From the Avon Bridge I'd follow NCN410 and then NCN26 to Axbridge.
This ( https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29336559?beta=false ) is a slight adaption of a ride of mine in the autumn - from Exeter to the Severn Bridge which shows the line I'd take again. If I was in a hurry I'd go straight up the old/current A38 to Taunton. The least attractive stretch is between Taunton and Bridgwater. That could be avoided by taking the Taunton canal path (NCN3).
Not sure the OP's party of road bikes with a following vehicle (or two) would fit some of those lanes though.

OP
OP
J

johnblack

Über Member
Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it, there's a load to take in and I reckon there'll be plenty of fine tuning of the route for a while yet.

To be clear, I'm starting with the A roads early in the morning to get a few miles in when it should still be quiet, plus we'll have a van staying behind us until we move in to quieter roads. Although my aim is to stay off A roads as much as I can, I appreciate that at some points it will be unavoidable, and that all A roads aren't alike. For instance the A43 to Brackley is dualed and not I road I would dream of using apart for in these particular circumstances. But other local A roads are much more quiet and OK for a bit, however I'd still rather dive off them if an alternative is available.

I will refine the route taking in to account the local knowledge and get it posted, all comments will be considered!!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Looks good. I note the (relatively slow narrow minor roads 34-54km. My one suggestion is to look again at the stretch 69-96km and consider this line (NB only 10% on A roads):
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29876638
It's going the other way, but 13 days ago on Good Friday the 4 of us were in a pace line for 450k and this was about 61km to 112km! Slight head wind but warming up nicely (1030-1230).

@johnblack

I would seriously reconsider the A43. I use that route a lot for driving and there is no safe quiet time as no one will be expecting a cyclist or two

There are roads that run relatively parallel with it for the sake of a mile or two

Best to get there late than not at all

Top Bottom