Route plan or free ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
It depends. If I'm sticking close to home, I'll make it up as I go along and go on a bit of magical mystery tour. If it's a ride further afield (usually 60+ miles), I will plan a route.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
30 miles or so as is currently the case it's just a case of setting off and joining up local lanes that I know like the back of my hand.

When we are riding normally someone will pick a cafe and create a route to get there and back. I usually use RWGPS to do this as it helps to mix things up without getting lost.

30-50 miles is easy to remember. Once we hit the usual 70-80 a bit of planning is needed.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
For me rides of 20-30 miles are all on local roads that I know, so no need to plan, although sometimes it might be beneficial to actually plan a ride before I set off, especially when I'm limited for time :okay: Quite often I'll head out with a rough idea of a route in my head & then change it as I'm cycling along, thinking this road will add a mile, that road will add 2 miles, but quite often I underestimate the added distance & the time taken. I was nearly late for work last week doing such, what I thought would add 2 miles actually added 4 miles, so I was then pushed for time :blush: I can go out onto the wolds for 100+ miles without a planned route, but if there's somewhere specific I want to go, a certain climb or velo viewer square then I will plot a route to ensure I get there, but then often change it at some point 🤔

I take river water samples for a living and have done so for the past 25 years. I know exactly where every road goes over quite a large are of the Lothians.

It`s a bit of a double edged sword as I always know where I`m going so wont see any new roads but it also means I`ll never get lost cos I know where the next turn will take me!

Ashimoto

I do it on a regular basis. Started out the other day to do a loop I usuallly do and ended up miles away from where I intended to go. Its great. I love it.

Gunk

Guru
Staying local so it’s all lanes and tracks I know. No need to plan. I can just have an outline for a loop in my head and will usually have a rough idea of how it’ll take. I am however combining the lanes in ways I haven’t done before just to keep it a bit more local than usual.

This ^^^

Normally when hunting for veloviewer squares, I plan the route and take a fair bit of time doing so.

Now we're in this state of lock down, I'm finding a joy in just going out with a rough direction in mind (wind check) and riding for the time I've got available. Its quite liberating relative to my previously very fixed routes.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
First things first, I always decide where my cafe stop is going to be, then I think up a vague route about getting there.

D

Deleted member 26715

I always set off with a route in mind, but that's not to say that when I get to the end of the road I'll turn the other way, or as I'm riding along I suddenly think I haven't been up that Bridleway for a bit, or more likely I'm out & thinking this is hard work, I may cut it short a bit by going down here.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I mostly just make it up as I go. I may look at a mapping site before as a guide. If I am wanting to do a specific distance or specific place I might download the route to the garmin.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Depends entirely on which way the wind's blowing- I like to head out into the wind so I have an easier home leg when I'm getting tired.

Doesn't always work!

Top Bottom