Royal Baby name

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Danny Baker has a mouth that's sometimes just a wee bit quicker than his quick brain. A clever bloke, he comes out with stuff that can be just a bit raw and unpolished. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes not so. He'll serve his regulatory penance and be back somewhere - he's just too bankable for any station to ignore, and people like him.
Do the BBC have a residential re-education facility?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Danny Baker has been sacked for a stupid tweet.
Shame because I like him, and I don’t think he meant to be racist, but he was undoubtedly stupid.

Bit more than stupid. It's racist, how the hell he didn't think that. Got to love the idiots that trip themselves up on social media.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
You would kinda hope that he'd have a little bit of savvy as to what was and wasn't acceptable, regardless of what he himself believes (not that I profess to know what he believes) He is, after all, in the media and ought know how these things play out. Blimey, some media savvy people play that to their advantage. But what Baker did... MM's ethnicity, chimps & royalty.... it was always only going to go one way. Crass and stupid doesn't quite cover it.

That said, I don't know the context (though I do find it difficult to imagine a context that mitigates)

I understand that his attempt to contextualise it was that it was just a funny "baby" picture to poke fun at an institution that, in his opinion, needs poking fun at. He claims he would have used the same photo to lampoon, for example, a baby of Boris Johnson

I doubt he meant it in anything more than poking fun at an institution. However, as we have discussed here previously, it's not the intention of the content provider that matters, it's whether a minority could reasonably expect to be offended by it. And of course the answer is "yes"

D

Deleted member 26715

However, as we have discussed here previously, it's not the intention of the content provider that matters, it's whether a minority could reasonably expect to be offended by it.
Or those that like to be offended on other peoples behalf feel they are being correct by being offended

stephec

Legendary Member
Ten? I thought it was a standalone gag!
I've just noticed.... :blush: :smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ten? I thought it was a standalone gag!
Not unconnected....somebody on LBC this afternoon referenced the PG Tips monkeys pushing a piano upstairs advert as ‘racist’ and you couldn’t get away with that sort of stuff anymore!
Chimps racist to cockneys now? Beggars belief.

DB made an enormous gaffe no doubt. Is he racist? I have no idea. However as he is an avid football fan, he should be well aware of monkey chants at black players. I know bugger-all about footie and even I know it’s become a prominent issue recently ‘cos I read the news. So to post such a picture to me seems a bit weird all-round.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Yeah I get that, but maybe not making racial slurs about babies should be one of those things where we level up. Is there a benefit-of-the-doubt, non-racist explanation for the chimp thing?

Did he make a racial slur? Only one person knows. I don't think he did, he's not that stupid to do so and I don't believe he's racist anyway.

Or those that like to be offended on other peoples behalf feel they are being correct by being offended

Unfortunately this and people's misinterpreting have done for him at the beeb. IMHO.

I rather doubt he is racist.

I think it is generally accepted that he's bright and clever.

Let's imagine for a mo he is racist.

Being clever, would he then have made such a comment knowing how it would be read/what the consequences would be?

I don't care at all for the dodgy sight of folks trying to build their own egos and media presences on the back of this. Used to be way too much of that sort of thing on here.

As has been said upthread, danny baker has a lightening mind that sometimes runs ahead of him.

I think he is very probably too bright for his bosses and is suffering for not playing "the game"/ their games.

ffs he immediately deleted it, apologised and called himself stupid.

Don't recall the bbc ever calling out the queen mum"s racism, about which there are some very convincing tales.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I rather doubt he is racist.

I think it is generally accepted that he's bright and clever.

Let's imagine for a mo he is racist.

Being clever, would he then have made such a comment knowing how it would be read/what the consequences would be?

I don't care at all for the dodgy sight of folks trying to build their own egos and media presences on the back of this. Used to be way too much of that sort of thing on here.

As has been said upthread, danny baker has a lightening mind that sometimes runs ahead of him.

I think he is very probably too bright for his bosses and is suffering for not playing "the game"/ their games.

ffs he immediately deleted it, apologised and called himself stupid.

Don't recall the bbc ever calling out the queen mum"s racism, about which there are some very convincing tales.
Bright people can be racist......for example Roger Scruton.

I think given Meghan's family background and her loathing of Trump for his racist views, Baker was either being racist or very dim to make such an obvious comment. My money is on the former.

edit: BTW I'm a white male, but happy to own up to being offended on other's behalves when I see such obvious racist slurs......as a society we should know better.

Top Bottom