Rubbee X

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good afternoon,

Not too sure about cheap, isn't it 579 Euros with just one battery? Extra batteries are 99 Euros each.

Each battery is 94Wh so even with three, which appears to be an illegal UK configuration, but that might be just poor wording on the site, it is still 25% down on the Carrera mentioned below.

I have just looked on the Halfords web site https://www.halfords.com/bikes/elec...tric-hybrid-bike---s/m-m/l-frames-456422.html and £1,100 gets a complete bike with a 367Wh battery.

The FAQ page admits; Additional batteries increase the torque and range of Rubbee X

That page also says We test roller materials for thousands of kilometers (literally!) on the same tire without drastic wear&tear. In any case it is generally recommended to change bicycle tires every 2000-3000 km so we recommend to follow this rule. My bold and I do get about 2,500km out of a 23mm almost slick rear tyre, but how many here would be happy with that sort of mileage on 28mm commute tyre?

Halfords cheap and cheerful £650 ebike has a smaller battery at 209Wh, no gears and FWD but that is a complete bike with a rack and mudguards https://www.halfords.com/bikes/electric-bikes/assist-crossbar-hybrid-electric-bike-2021-445814.html

Bye

Ian

About 7 or so years ago I needed a new tyre for my old Powacycle so I went to the LBS
He sold me a Schwalbe Marathon that claimed to be ebike ready - a term I had not seen on a tyre before - but then this was the first time I had replaced a tyre on an ebike (it was a few years old but I didn;t do as many miles in those days!).
When I looked at it there was a patch around the sidewall of the tyre that seems to be slightly reinforced and roughened - possibly to grip onto some sort of friction drive
I suspect the LBS had had the tyre in for ages and I was the first ebike owner they had seen - they were not a thing in those days

but the sidewall of the tyre made me think that friction drives were thought to be a possibility at one point
although the mechanics and forces need to get decent grip, including on wet tyres, by a clamp on the seat post forcing a drive down at a distance of well over a foot (????) would be a worry

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The one big advantage is that's it's easy to install and take on and off, for charging and security. Price would be about the same as a wheel/motor/battery conversion but without the fuss. They're already over their target on the Kickstarter so looks like it could be a goer. I suspect only hard core cyclists might gip at the friction drive.

classic33

Leg End Member
And apparently I made quite a long comment

clearly my memory is going:laugh:
About an E-bike ready tyre as well.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Isn't there a small - father and son -company in Bristol making a much neater tyre friction device? I can't recall the name.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

It's like an updated version - electronic rather than electrical - of those dynamo lights we were so pleased and proud to have on our bikes as teenagers in the early 1960s!
I remember looking at a power wheelbarrow with the same system I think wet and muddy conditions would cause problems.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As mentioned, no friction drive has been shown to work reliably.

They either cannot transfer a useful amount of power or they chew the tyre, or often both.

My firm view is the Rubbee is rubbish.

Top Bottom