Rubbish bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Personally I don't think you will find anything better value anywhere. What swings it over anything else at that price is the Deore Hollowtech Chainset, hydraulic brakes and a good fork. Everybody else specs heavy Octalink cranks, hidden by upgraded mechs. That is well specc'd and honest value. 26 inch wheels mean the small will be 14 or 16 inch, all possibly small enough for him.

Acid test of course is whether it fits and whether he likes the look of it!

As for reliability, well, holiday in France and you'll conclude that 50,000 French people can't all be wrong! They are very popular, and rightly so. All the components are mainstream, nothing obscure, and Decathlon are pretty good at customer service usually.

OP
OP
T

Toptec

Many thanks for the input, will have to get to Decathlon to check out the frame size of the small, hope it's at 16"
Cheers

SteCenturion

I am your Father
How about a Cube MTB ??

I am no longer that well informed regards MTB but I do like Cube, both road & mtb bikes.

Cube are a German brand, highly regarded by many & often have a very high bang for $ value/ high spec for cost.

Try www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk for discounts on 2014 bikes, they are based in Wigan & only have a small showroom but literally hundreds of bikes from many, many brands. (Main business is online sales).

You will likely find a 2013 or 2014 model new, with warranty etc & a big discount.

OP
OP
T

Toptec

Ok, decathlon small size was to big unfortunatley, so spotted a good hybrid from the Boardman stable. Not a full on mountain bike, but good enough for forrest trails & canal towpaths.
No front suspension, so quite light, trigger shifters. His main complaints on rides was the weight & gripshift changers, so maybe this will suffice....
what do you reckon?
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/kids-bikes/boardman-junior-hybrid-sport-e-bike

gavintc

Guru
Personally, I would be hesitant in buying a hybrid for a child. It is just too 'sensible' a bike and would end up not being used. Kids, want something that will look cool to their mates. IMO, this takes you to the mainstream MTB market or BMX.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Personally, I would be hesitant in buying a hybrid for a child. It is just too 'sensible' a bike and would end up not being used. Kids, want something that will look cool to their mates. IMO, this takes you to the mainstream MTB market or BMX.

Erm ... mine's got both an MTB (Ridgeback MX24) and a road bike (Felt F95) - and the latter looks cool to him / his mates:

7407530117.jpg

e-rider

crappy member

Top Bottom