Rubbish cycle locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I was looking at a combination lock in a pound shop. The barrel and shaft inside it were made out of plastic. You could easily cut through these instead of the steel cable (assuming it was steel).

Has anybody else seen anything as ineffective?

HovR

Über Member
Yep. I found one of my old combo locks in the spares box, in the locked position, with the combination long forgotten. It took me all of two minutes to open the lock with no tools, and without breaking it, after finding out the method online.

If I can get one of these things open that quickly on my first attempt, imagine how quickly a professional bike thief could do it. :ohmy:

All but the dearest combination locks are crap, the manufacturing tolerances are so wide they are simple to open.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Most locks are only a visual deterrent. Our yard at work has just been hit, we had expensive £50 padlocks like these
padlock_cisa_28550.jpg

Cut through in seconds with an oxy-propane cuttting kit (they left the cylinders behind).

I suspect even a Kryptonite lock wouldn't last long with oxy cutting gear. You can just cut an alloy frame with a hacksaw and take the bike for the expensive parts.

I've seen Oxy cutting gear carried around in cars ready to be used in crime, with a long enough hose you can have a very quick way of cutting through anything.

Top Bottom