Rubbish skips stacked on top of each other

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Like this.....

?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen.jpg
Witnesses ‘horrified’ by double skip lorry stack

"The red skip lorry carrying two full skips in Grantham Street, Blackburn

" data-thumb="/resources/images/7775455/?type=mc&htype=0" height="" >

10 comments
PASSERS-BY were left ‘horrified’ after witnessing a lorry, carrying two full skips stacked on top of each other, driving down a street.

The red lorry, carrying two yellow skips, was seen in Grantham Street, near the New Chapel Street junction in Blackburn.

Eye-witness Bee Fudge took the pictures as her mother drove behind the vehicle, and said the skips, which she said were owned by Great Harwood Skips, were spotted moving about on the lorry.

However a Great Harwood Skips spokesman said the lorry did not belong to them, but would look into why their skips were being transported in this way.

Miss Fudge said: “I was really shocked to see the lorry with two skips stacked on top of each other.

“Everyone was horrified.

“The bottom skip had bricks in it and there was wood and other bits and pieces in the second one.

“There was definitely movement of the top skip.

“It was in the afternoon so the roads were really busy with school traffic and kids walking about.

“Clearly they don’t care about safety. If the top skip fell I dread to think what would happen if someone was underneath.”

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) says on its website stacking loaded skips on to the top of each other on a vehicle causes stability problems and is regarded in the industry as ‘bad practice’.

Several people took to social media to talk about what they saw.

One Facebook user said: “It exceeds the vehicle’s maximum height and the skip is not sheeted.

Anything could have fallen off.

Joe Jackson said: “Wow, one fast turn round a corner and that top skip is flying and passers-by are dead.”

The HSE website states the lower skip would not provide a stable base and could bring the risk of the upper skip moving under sudden braking or falling from the side if the lorry swerved.

A Great Harwood Skips spokesman said: “The company would like to state that this is not one of our vehicles.

“We will look into which company transported the skips".

The other week i saw one just like that,where bits were falling off the top skip. I didn't see the top skip moving about,like the one in the article,but the bits falling off it could have done some serious harm. I've been on my bike before and had bits of plaster and stuff fall on me as these things have passed,but luckily nothing too big or heavy. I didn't think it was illegal to put one on top of the other,so why do they do it and get away with it?

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
That's horrific.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A really selfish attitude in the comments section....

willie eckerslike1 hr ago

If it reduces the cost of hiring a skip, for folks like me, then i dont see a problem here , once its left my house then i am not bothered how it gets to the tip.

What a scumbag!!:thumbsdown:

yep a Mercedes showing as untaxed but shows as insured :wacko:

postman

Legendary Member
Skips my new friends,i had filled two this week.The second one with stuff out of the greenhouse,the shed and the garage.Kids toys cricket bat sets,All covers were mouldy,but the equipment was ok.Funny thing was three seperate vans came along and took things out.

Top Bottom