Rucksack Vs Panniers

What do you currently use for carrying your gear for work

• Panniers

Votes: 34 47.2%
  • Rucksack

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • Tesco bag for life (because your hardcore)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boybiker

Guru
Backpack but then I dont carry that much. I leave my shoes at work so its just trousers, shirt and jumper and my lunch really.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
T
I currently use a rucksack for my 22 mile commute and my back can get a tad on the old sweaty side! When I go a week or so without commuting(Due to the Misses shifts) it can take a few rides before my back stops feeling like I have been hit with a hammer!!!! I was considering jumping into the pannier side of cycling I found a set on Ebay for £17.99 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cycle-Bik..._Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&hash=item4ab5192937 and I dont have a clue about racks but this one from Tesco seems to get decent reveiws http://www.tesco.com/direct/bi-tek-...75.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=211-0775#BVRRWidgetID. What do you guys and gals think? I currently commute on a Boardman Team CX already set up with mud gaurds. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Aiden, The Tesco rack you mention isn't too bad a bit of kit. It is relatively light, well constructed and easy to fit/remove (or steal if not secured) It will carry 20lbs or so - so unless you want to carry your shopping home it may be ideal.
Disadvantages are it is only clamped to the seatpost so unless well tightened there is a risk that it will rotate sideways into the wheel, and secondly the sides are not very long so a large pannier could potentially flop over the end into the wheel.
A small pair of panniers (I have ones that would normally go on a front pannier) fit perfectly and used as a pair are probably better balanced.
So for use on my road bike, if I want to do a day trip out I can fit the rack and avoid carrying a rucksack. Perfect for this.

For a touring bike or a regular commuter....get a good 4 point fixing pannier rack.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Panniers......but I'm really liking my Lidl cool back ruck sack that was on offer a few weeks back

UK_72476_02_v.jpg

OP
OP
Aiden_23

Aiden_23

Thanks for all the help guys I am only going to carrying trousers,shirt,underwear,towel,lunch,water bottle plus the usual tools and spares to get me home if there was a problem, so a heavy duty touring rack is not essential yet I do intend to tour one day but that will be the excuse for a new bike and gear ;op. As I have never had a rack before the different types confuse me, like where does the disc brake specific racks actually attach to? I am trying to save up for a turbo trainer so I am really looking for a cheap bur cheery rack. Im not really bothered about how the bike looks as I more than make up for that,the sexy mo fo I am!!!!!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Reason I use rucksack is that my current bike is a disc braked road bike and putting a rack on the back will mean having to get one of those horrid wide racks to clear the disc brakes of which will ruin the aesthetics of a lovely bike. So rucksack and sweaty back it is.

Racks do that anyway. I ruined the aesthetics of my fixed with a rack. Anyway, it adds to the multiplier for Silly Commuter Racing. ^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to commute with a rucksack - the type with air chanels. Perfectly fine, but when I was carrying locks, clothers and documents to other sites, the weight was a right pain, and aggravated my shoulder injury. Switching to a rack - yep the bike feels very different, but you soon get used to it. Worth buying a quality rack and good panniers - waterproof, or that come with a cover.

Rucksack with a can of deodorant and change of tee-shirt in it.
I'm turning into a speed demon and notice the wind restriction on paniers.

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2027249, member: 259"]What does the person who voted other use? Is it a courier bag or something?[/quote]
That was me, small top box.

HorTs

Über Member
I voted pannier but its actually a 'rack pack'. The Topeak one that slides on to and clips in the rack.

It big enough for my shoes, trousers, polo shirt, and lunch.

OP
OP
Aiden_23

Aiden_23

Right guys I took the hit and bought the Topeak Super Tourist Rack!!!! Picked it up from our good friends at Hellfrauds for a mere £25 (20% off accessories at the moment) so happy with that and I will be purchasing the rack pack from ebay looking foward to the non sweaty back feeling this winter!!!!! Even if it means I aint going as fast!!!! Thanks for the push in the right direction!!!

jamin100

Guru
I'm selling the Topeak mtx dxp trunk bag that fits that rack if your interested.
It comes withe the waterproof cover too which you have to pay extra for.

It's in the classifieds if you want to have a look

Top Bottom