Rucksack Vs Panniers

What do you currently use for carrying your gear for work

• Panniers

Votes: 34 47.2%
  • Rucksack

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • Tesco bag for life (because your hardcore)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

defy-one

Decathlon rack and massive 25L pannier on the offside. Holds my rucksack inside which gives my laptop double insulation. Otherr thing is it makes drivers stay further away from me as i'm a wider vehicle. Aerodynamics are rubbish, but i beat all the "humpbags" of London once i am moving.

G2EWS

Good thread for this newbie.

I think you have convinced me to go for panniers, which I was looking at when I picked up my Garmin.

So the best rack for disc braked bikes is probably this one as mentioned by Pauluk:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...8_1347172405_067c51917dd92931ea50f3742cde7150

But here comes my problem. I need to carry a 17" laptop which goes inside a padded bag, but want similar to my rucksack even more padding should the worse happen. The only one I can find at the moment is this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...oogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

It says 15.4" laptop but the dimensions mean it should squeeze my 17" laptop in.

But open to suggestions please.

Also, is it OK only having one pannier on? Just thought it might change the balance a bit.

Regards

Chris

defy-one

Buy a rucksack from a shop so you can test laptop inside it.
I use a single pannier as do many in London. I really don't care for peoples opinion of if it's right or wrong. It works for me.
As for balance - no issues whilst on the bike
feels cumbersome when walking it though

Bigsharn

Veteran
Personally I prefer panniers, but at the moment I'm riding a full susser I got for el cheapo while the Marin's being fixed... so backpack for me :sad:

Gez73

Veteran
If I only need one pannier that's what I use. Nothing wrong with that. Have a rackbag on too at all times but limited space in that.

Wicker basket on the front ;)

83053.jpg

OP
OP
Aiden_23

Aiden_23

Right guys bumping this thread again as I am looking for some recommendations for a rack bag. Are the topeak bags overpriced or are they worth the monster price. I am looking for a bag that will hold a towel ,work clothes, lunch and boots, plus the usual fix it at the road supplies.

marafi

Rolling down the hills with the bike.
I used to have a rucksack though my back came all sweaty. So when i came to lecture i was the BO smell. lol So im panniers now only. Though does a Tesco basket at the back count? lol

Gez73

Veteran
I use one of the Topeak bags and they are well worth the money. That said I've not tried any others so can't compare. I like the integrated panniers although they are small. I also use two stand alone Altura panniers for the bigger loads and the rack bag stays on there too. A rack with no rack bag but panniers looks strange to me so my bag remains on all the time. I use a saddle bag too for the roadside essentials although I put another tube in the rack bag the other week. To be honest I probably don't use the bag to it fullest but I wouldn't be without it and would NEVER consider a rucksack again. As far as bags go the Topeak ones are really good but I would try to get an idea of what they will hold so you know that they're suitable for you and you will know if you'll need to drop the pannier compartments. They're not 100% waterproof either so you will need a cover. I use a Polaris rucksack cover I've had forever, doesn't work with the integrated panniers dropped so they contain plastic bags, the proper Topeak cover is silver!-Ugh!

boydj

Legendary Member
I'm currently using a small Carradice saddlebag with a bagman Q/R. Room for a change of clothes and a few tools and spares. For the winter, I'll probably re-fit the rack and use a rack bag, which has a slightly bigger capacity, and then I have the option of using a pannier if I want to carry some extra clothing or do a bit of shopping. Rucksacks are just a pain for anything over 4 or 5 miles.

OP
OP
Aiden_23

Aiden_23

I have decided to go with the one I put in my first post and I will let you guys know how it performs can't really afford a topeak one at the moment as I small desperate to get my turbo trainer! Thanks for the input everyone!

OP
OP
Aiden_23

Aiden_23

Right next problem had a search around the site, any of my fellow Boardman CX owners who have fitted a topeak rack care to share some photos on how to attach it!!!

vickster

Legendary Member
Make sure you get the correct rack for the Topeak model number - where it is a slide or strap on one. Also, does the bike have disc brakes as again you'll need the right rack

Top Bottom