Rugby League World Cup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
If you tackle low they win the ruck as they can play the ball quicker and get a roll on they need to clamp.
First man is high, second man wraps and third man chops, ie takes the legs

I know why they do it.
The point I was making is about the risk of head injuries. RU has effectively banned the chest to chest tackle as it risks a head clash and was deemed too dangerous.
If RL were to ban it then the game would really open up, with more off loading.

david k

Hi
I know why they do it.
The point I was making is about the risk of head injuries. RU has effectively banned the chest to chest tackle as it risks a head clash and was deemed too dangerous.
If RL were to ban it then the game would really open up, with more off loading.

It would change the game yes. Offloading is less if an issue than the super quick PTB. As that's a greater advantage as the defenders have to retreat.

I prefer the old style game, modern RL with super quick PTB can look like tick and pass. For me keep tackle beneath the head, allow holding down for 2 seconds and have a more controlled fame, which is what we are seeing in the World Cup.
They haven't changed a thing in RL other than a shoulder charge quite a few years ago, they just have harsher bans for high tackles.

david k

Hi
I thought Ireland looked good in game one but terrible in game two against Lebanon
Which side will turn up against NZ tonight? They need to play very well just to compete with a star studded NZ side

D

Deleted member 1258

I thought Ireland looked good in game one but terrible in game two against Lebanon
Which side will turn up against NZ tonight? They need to play very well just to compete with a star studded NZ side

I'm half expecting a massacre. :sad:

D

Deleted member 1258

It's certainly possible but they will be so desperate to give a better showing you only need NZ to have an off day and they may make a game of it, unlikely yes but I'm hoping 😁

Thats all we can do, but after Scotlands surrender against the Australians who knows.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Is there really any point in Greece entering the competition?
I know they are trying to grow the game, but a game like that doesn’t really help anyone.
And realistically Greece will never have a professional player base.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
interesting question, but consider this :

approx. 20 years ago, NZ beat Tonga 74:0
approx. 10 years ago, NZ beat Tonga 46:8
approx. 5 years ago Tonga beat NZ 28:22

Teams can get better, and there is no professional league in Tonga -admittedly now a days all the players compete in NRL or Super League, but there is no reason the same could not be true, eventually, for Greece.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
interesting question, but consider this :

approx. 20 years ago, NZ beat Tonga 74:0
approx. 10 years ago, NZ beat Tonga 46:8
approx. 5 years ago Tonga beat NZ 28:22

Teams can get better, and there is no professional league in Tonga -admittedly now a days all the players compete in NRL or Super League, but there is no reason the same could not be true, eventually, for Greece.

True but as you say the pacific islands have a long history of playing both codes in NZ and Aus.
I can’t see Greek players coming over to Halifax and Wigan.

DRM

Guru
True but as you say the pacific islands have a long history of playing both codes in NZ and Aus.
I can’t see Greek players coming over to Halifax and Wigan.

They’re not really Greek though, they all play/live and were born in Australia, and have Greek heritage, they mainly play in the ARL, the league below NRL, same as the Lebanese side, iirc there’s a large Lebanese community in the Canterbury & Bankstown area of NSW

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
So, I've just been watching a wee bit of the wheelchair version. No idea what's going on, and my sound was off.

What's the craic with everyone being covered in ribbons? @DRM you seem to know your way around the sport?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
So, I've just been watching a wee bit of the wheelchair version. No idea what's going on, and my sound was off.

What's the craic with everyone being covered in ribbons? @DRM you seem to know your way around the sport?

They are tackle bands, they got pulled off to represent a tackle i believe……they use the same in childrens rugby, to stop full on contact happening at a young age.

Top Bottom