Rugby World Cup 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Scotland play on Sunday. It is hoped that the weather will have calmed down by then.
the cancellations are all for Saturday games so far.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
No problem with the RWC being played in Japan in the hurricane season, I think it has been a great tournament so far

However, for such a sophisticated country to have no Plan B in the event of a serious hurricane is really disappointing. It isn't the end of the world for England's game to be cancelled as they had already qualified but if Scotland go out that's a very different matter. Of course player, volunteer, staff, spectator safety must come first but how hard would it have been to have a contingency plan to move the Scotland/Japan game somewhere else and play it in an empty stadium? It's not a great solution but it's a lot better than cancelling the game

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Unfortunately I think the cancellation of Saturday's games has set the precedent, but I still have some hope the game can go ahead. Japan have played some excellent rugby, as have Scotland and both deserve their chance.

The cynic in me reckons that if it had been Japan needing the win, the organisers would have been more open to finding an alternative venue.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Unfortunately I think the cancellation of Saturday's games has set the precedent, but I still have some hope the game can go ahead. Japan have played some excellent rugby, as have Scotland and both deserve their chance.

The cynic in me reckons that if it had been Japan needing the win, the organisers would have been more open to finding an alternative venue.

That's why I think it will be off. As host nation, Japan have benefited already from dodgy refereeing and I think the lure for the organisers of a Japan v All Blacks quarter final will be too tempting.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
I am really looking forward to the Scotland Japan game - Hope it goes ahead. Could be a cracker with Scotland needing a good win to survive, and Japan, well they have been awesom so far.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
BBC are reporting possible legal action by Scotland if the game can’t be rescheduled.

It does seem odd that there is no contingency, they would have to reschedule if it was the final or a knockout game.

brodiej

Veteran
Can't see how they can do anything but cancel it now having cancelled the Italy v All Blacks game. Italy were in exactly the same position as Scotland- granted they would be very unlikely to beat NZ.

Even if the weather calms a bit on Sunday I doubt the authorities will want to police a major rugby match 24 hours after a massive typhoon has hit Tokyo. The last one a few weeks ago killed 3 people and this one is a much bigger storm

Training game stuff here for South Africa against Canada, who are probably the poorest of the tier 2 nations I've seen.

Red card ends this as any sort of contest, not that it ever really was one.
Yes, Canada haven't turned up this tournament, sill, Namibia game might be fascinating.

Sounds easy to me, put the game back 24 hrs and honour peoples tickets in the same stadium and hope tv companies don't mind.
Having been in a direct hit of Typhoon York in 1999, there is no way the game could have happened as scheduled.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sounds easy to me, put the game back 24 hrs and honour peoples tickets in the same stadium and hope tv companies don't mind.
Having been in a direct hit of Typhoon York in 1999, there is no way the game could have happened as scheduled.

I don't think you even need to play it in the same stadium. Play it in another one, hell play it in another country. Obviously you can't have spectators but that is the least of their problems now. It's about maintaining the integrity of a world class sporting event. Something they are failing to do right now.
Really the organisers need to come out and explain very clearly why it would be impossible to reschedule or relocate the cancelled fixtures. If they come up with loads of really good reasons why cancelling was the only option then fair enough. But to fail to explain the process of coming to the decision to cancel is unforgivable and undermines the tournament

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
That's why I think it will be off. As host nation, Japan have benefited already from dodgy refereeing and I think the lure for the organisers of a Japan v All Blacks quarter final will be too tempting.

To be fair, everyone has. The standard of refereeing has been quite poor I think, and until the last few games (that I've seen at least) countless basic infringements have gone unpunished. Hindsight is a helluva thing, but I can't help feeling that our result against Ireland would have been rather different had we played them after someone had clearly had a word.

An interesting (though daft) theory from another forum I frequent is that due to their honour code, the Japanese may not want to be seen to benefit if weather stops the game and forfeit...

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Despite the fact that I think it is crazy that there was no contingency in place for all this, after all one fire alarm could ruin the world cup, the rules were agreed to by Scotland a long time ago. I don't think any blame should be put on Japan, it is World Rugby who made up the rule and are running the tournament. The obvious solution would have been a closed door game elsewhere, to to maintain tournament integrity.

Top Bottom