Rugby World Cup 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I once did a cycling event with Will Carling.
1698304286120.jpeg

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Great game this evening. Last ten from England was pathetic, bringing on water and medics constantly. Knew they didn't have it in them.

The ITV commentary was unbelievably biased.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I forgot to watch it. But hey England are officially the third best team in the world. :laugh: :laugh:

And still the only European/northern hemisphere country to have won the RWC! :okay:

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Torn

I can never support any NZ sporting team after the whole nation 'didn't see' the Brian O'Driscoll ABH broadcast on WWTV!

BUT Can I cheer for a team who's game plan is largely playing for penalties at the scrum?
Choosing scrums when a mark is called?
Taking off brilliant players like Etzebeth after 40 minutes, to put an even bigger lump of fresh meat on?
Even the replacements seem to require 'treatment' or 'strapping' just minutes after coming on. All part of a scheme to run the clocks down and actually prevent open play happening?
Ignore the wealth of attacking talent they have outside the forwards? In several cases failing to select them.

I like to have a dog in the fight. Will watch, but likely take no joy from whoever wins. Bit sad really.

When I played 30 years ago the lineouts were a shocking free for all and usually a total mess.
The laws were rethought and they are a brilliant part of RU now.
Something similar needs to happen for scrums. Literally a fresh start.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Torn

I can never support any NZ sporting team after the whole nation 'didn't see' the Brian O'Driscoll ABH broadcast on WWTV!

BUT Can I cheer for a team who's game plan is largely playing for penalties at the scrum?
Choosing scrums when a mark is called?
Taking off brilliant players like Etzebeth after 40 minutes, to put an even bigger lump of fresh meat on?
Even the replacements seem to require 'treatment' or 'strapping' just minutes after coming on. All part of a scheme to run the clocks down and actually prevent open play happening?
Ignore the wealth of attacking talent they have outside the forwards? In several cases failing to select them.

I like to have a dog in the fight. Will watch, but likely take no joy from whoever wins. Bit sad really.

When I played 30 years ago the lineouts were a shocking free for all and usually a total mess.
The laws were rethought and they are a brilliant part of RU now.
Something similar needs to happen for scrums. Literally a fresh start.

Just make scrum infringement a free kick instead of a penalty.
And if the ball is available at the back you have to play it. Even if the front rows have collapsed.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Go back to the simple principle that a scrum is simply a means of getting the ball back into play - as are the lineouts. They were intended to be evenly contested so let's go back to a straight put-in and hookers hooking.

The reason given for this not being appropriate any more is the power of modern forwards, meaning that if a hooker lifts a foot to hook, the other side has an advantage and will shove against a now-weakened front row, which can be dangerous. I don’t like it but it makes sense.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Just make scrum infringement a free kick instead of a penalty.
And if the ball is available at the back you have to play it. Even if the front rows have collapsed.

I think lowering the scrum infringement from penalty to free kick in most cases could be helpful. I don’t like the use of the scrum just to gain a penalty. I’d not want to change it much otherwise the end point is a rugby league scrum played by teams where the players all 6 foot identikit athletes without the diversity you get in a rugby union team.

Top Bottom