Rugby World Cup 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great game this evening. Last ten from England was pathetic, bringing on water and medics constantly. Knew they didn't have it in them.

The ITV commentary was unbelievably biased.

I missed the name of the "expert" pundit supporting the commentator. Do you know who he was? I might send him a new pair of blinkers.

If Marcus Smith and Henry Arundel are the future for England then things are not all that rosy. Smith was totally out of his depth at full back, both with his positional sense and his powder-puff tackling. They have some good forwards coming through but their backs rarely look to threaten the opponents' defence.
One of their team said at the start of the tournament that they are a hard team to beat, and that is true, but that is not ambitious enough.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Torn

I can never support any NZ sporting team after the whole nation 'didn't see' the Brian O'Driscoll ABH broadcast on WWTV!

BUT Can I cheer for a team who's game plan is largely playing for penalties at the scrum?
Choosing scrums when a mark is called?
Taking off brilliant players like Etzebeth after 40 minutes, to put an even bigger lump of fresh meat on?
Even the replacements seem to require 'treatment' or 'strapping' just minutes after coming on. All part of a scheme to run the clocks down and actually prevent open play happening?
Ignore the wealth of attacking talent they have outside the forwards? In several cases failing to select them.

I like to have a dog in the fight. Will watch, but likely take no joy from whoever wins. Bit sad really.

When I played 30 years ago the lineouts were a shocking free for all and usually a total mess.
The laws were rethought and they are a brilliant part of RU now.
Something similar needs to happen for scrums. Literally a fresh start.

If you're referring to the spear tackle on BOD in the first Lions test years ago then I too have never forgiven them for that, that and total dereliction of duty by the yellow-bellied referee that day. I also can't stand their preciousness about The Haka.

Also I'm from Gloucester, where, in the good old days when we were good, our success was built on forward domination.

So all things considered I want South Africa to win tonight.

Last edited:
The reason given for this not being appropriate any more is the power of modern forwards, meaning that if a hooker lifts a foot to hook, the other side has an advantage and will shove against a now-weakened front row, which can be dangerous. I don’t like it but it makes sense.

The practice of having two sets of front rowers change over after about 50 minutes encourages sides to pick big, fat barstewards who cannot put in a full effort for 80 minutes. Allowing only replacements in the front row for injuries (once you figured a way to avoid abuse of that rule) would mean that they would get lighter, fitter players. Teams have three props nowadays.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
They're ranked fifth and beat none of the teams ahead of them to third in the WC. They may get bumped up a spot, but barely deserve it.

That's not to say I hate England, I just find them constantly disappointing. I'd be even more disappointed if I was English.

geocycle

Legendary Member
For me, the top 4 are as we started the tournament perhaps with NZ rising in that group. England have improved and would have a shout for 5th alongside Scotland; Wales and Argentina competing for 6th.

Also I wonder if England have just been trolling everyone and will actually come good at the tournament. It would be very funny if they didn't though!

On behalf of the England squad (3rd-place finishers), please accept our apologies for not giving you the satisfaction.

x

avsd

Guru
NZ still targeting players to physically injury aka " BOD in the first Lions test years ago". This time it is the SA number 2 a key plater with limited cover.

Top Bottom