Rugby World Cup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The French have engineered another sporting final? Quelle surprise!

yello

The better side lost imho, and they would have made for a better final too. The French were poor and ought consider themselves lucky. That said, the Welsh had the opportunities to win it and they made mistakes that cost them (their lineouts were pretty poor too), so I think there is some room to say 'they lost it'.

The sending of did change the game, I think the Welsh would have won 15 v 15. So I feel sorry for Warburton in that he could well think he cost them the game, but I can't agree that it wasn't a red card offence. I did wonder if the ref might show leniency under the circumstances but it wasn't an incorrect decision. I felt it was definitely a card offence. Spear tackles are dangerous (remember the outrage that O'Driscoll was upended on the Lions tour in 2005?) and the rules on dangerous play are pretty clear. The default interpretation is 'red card', with the ref able to apply some leniency if they feel so inclined. Personally, I would have preferred to see yellow for the games sake but there you go.

I was speaking to my mum in NZ this morning (before the game) and she was telling me that many Kiwis feel it'll be a Aussie victory tomorrow. The ABs apparently have significant injury problems and will be fielding a less than first choice team. But she did say that one of the newer faces is a lad by the name of Israel Dagg, she said that he's a very exciting player and to watch out for him. Can't help but feel that tomorrow's winners will be Cup winners too. I hope France will turn up and make a game of it but I can't see it somehow. They've done their dash for the tournament. That's why it's such a shame the Welsh went out today; they'd have made more of a game of it in the final.

Keith Oates

Janner
The Welsh can indeed go home with their heads held high and the less said about the decision of the ref to use the red card the better. If the French win the cup it will be the biggest travesty of justice in any recent sporting competition.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The red card was a real shame, as Wales were the better team, even with 14 men really, and had a couple of chances to win in the last 10 minutes.

With respect to the tackle, if you look through it (stills here) then the french player is inverted in the tackle and lands on his upper back/neck. This is dangerous in that it could leave the player paralysed, and under the current rules then, unfortunately for Warburton who was IMHO not intending harm, it is a red card.

Whether we would expect a ref to show some leniency in a World Cup Semi I don't know, but this is the correct decision with respect to the laws of the game.

If the All Blacks can beat the Wallabies, then I think they are very strong favourites in the final. The French do have a surprisingly good record against NZ though so it could be closer than I think it will be.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The Welsh can indeed go home with their heads held high and the less said about the decision of the ref to use the red card the better. If the French win the cup it will be the biggest travesty of justice in any recent sporting competition.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why? Can't blame the French team for the ref'decision. Two teams were playing, the reds missed many kicks, the blues did not. At the of the day points matter and France had one more. As for the final, France has not played the one game where they can excel so don't write them off yet!

postman

Legendary Member
I was bouncing up and down ,well done Wales.One point what a sickner.

Best thing though we don't have to put up with that famous comedian Max Boyce.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The red card was a real shame, as Wales were the better team, even with 14 men really, and had a couple of chances to win in the last 10 minutes.

With respect to the tackle, if you look through it (stills here) then the french player is inverted in the tackle and lands on his upper back/neck. This is dangerous in that it could leave the player paralysed, and under the current rules then, unfortunately for Warburton who was IMHO not intending harm, it is a red card.

Whether we would expect a ref to show some leniency in a World Cup Semi I don't know, but this is the correct decision with respect to the laws of the game.
On a strict interpretation, yes.

I think the problem was that Sam's instinct was to let him go, for fear of being accused of spearing him, but if he had actually held on, the outcome might perhaps have been different.

The most annoying thing was having to listen to the ITV commentator bleating on all game about how everyone was 'Welsh' for the day and wanted them to win.

Err, no. Glad the Welsh lost.

Shoudn't have been a red card but definitely a yellow. Everyone knows spear tackles are not allowed and Warburton had intent for the first half of the tackle. Should never have picked him up like that in the first place. Wales should have stopped piss-assing around in the last 2 mins and actually gone for the drop goal. At least 22 phases without having a go and they ran their own clock out so can only blame themselves.

Glad France won but c'mon the All Blacks!

Doseone

Guru

This +1

Wales played very well and can hold their heads high, but they did have their chances, especially near the end. I'm still flummoxed as to why they didn't go for a drop goal, they were perfectly positioned :wacko:

lukesdad

As regards to the drop goal, i think the descision was made that the try was a better bet. the conditions were not great and being one player short setting the platform was allways going to be difficult hence jones being at first or second reciever through the phases.

yello

As regards to the drop goal, i think the descision was made that the try was a better bet.

That was my take on it too. Plus, miss with the attempt and that was game over. The Welsh obviously felt retaining possession was the wiser cause of action and more likely to lead to points.

But it seemed an odd decision to me too! Surely someone backed themselves to land the 3 from there!

Top Bottom