Runners vs. Cyclists...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
longers said:
Is it at Nantwhich Alex? That's a nice event.

no, wilmslow

domtyler

Über Member
Cyclists tend to be cyclists for diverse reasons whereas runners are only doing it for fitness and/or competition.

Rhythm Thief said:
Yes. You can't really use running as a mode of transport. That's the beauty of cycling.

Indeed, RT.

Besides runners always look like they're knackered and never, or seldom, have a smile on their faces! Unlike the cyclists. ;)

I (used to) enjoy running cross-country, through woods, fields etc. and barefoot on the beach as I've been doing here in lieu of not be able to cycle, but that was for fun, not as a form of quite strenuous exercise.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I once joined my running-mad agent for a morning run around Cape Town. I found the run easy but I was so stiff for three days afterwards that I could hardly walk.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Twenty Inch said:
Triathlon - the Sport of Misfits.

Several boring years taking part in Tris until I realised that 15 hours training a week was a poor substitute for a life. Started dancing instead.

Don't you feel a bit self-conscious though when you go tangoing for five miles of an evening?

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
I did the London Marathon (see obesity thread on Sopabox) a few years back. I got to hate running by the time I got to it, though obviously I did it, and have never really run since. It was a mixture of boredom and constant injury niggles. You dont get that on a bike.

Dave5N

Über Member
Andy in Sig said:
Don't you feel a bit self-conscious though when you go tangoing for five miles of an evening?

Don't knock it. It's harder than you might think. You'll ache all over afterwards.

You certainly know when you've been tangoed...

:idea:

(Oh, ok, I've got me coat on and I'm outside waiting for the minicab)

sheddy

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Yes. You can't really use running as a mode of transport. That's the beauty of cycling.
I don't think thats correct. I've heard of some ambitious parents who make their kids do the school run every day !

Blue

Legendary Member
Fab Foodie said:
Does anybody else notice this or is it simply a quirk of my local clubs?

Id say it's down to your local clubs.

I used to run as my main sport, with some swimming and a very little amount of cycling thrown in as a bit of cross training. Unfortunately, an accident left me with a knackered knee several years back and I had to turn to cycling as my main sport. I often wish I still had the company of my old running mates as they were much more social than the bunch of cyclists from my local club.

Blue

Legendary Member
Speicher said:
Cyclists to seem to make more of a effort to slow down, move over to one side, and even to acknowledge my existence when I have moved well over to one side in plenty of time

I don't agree.

Back in my running days I did most of my training on forest trails. It was on your own head be it if you got in the way of the Mtbrs that shared the trails. Even on the odd occasion when I used my own bike on the trails I found they would rather have cycled over me than around me if our paths crossed - I always assumed it was because I wasn't part of the 'gang'. Bunch of t@ssers they were.

Blue

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Runners - light weight, no muscle... cyclists vary, but usually have big legs, so not natural runners.....

Runners vary too. As a runner I competed on road, track, xcountry and the fells. I admit that the last few years of cycling added additional muscle bulk to my legs(some different muscle groups involved), but they had plenty of muscle bulk to begin.

Top Bottom