Running - How hard can it be? - Norwich Mile

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
Two friends and I have entered the 6 mile Norwich Sports Relief Run. A mile seemed a bit pointless, and 3 miles is only UNI and back. 6 miles seemed like a worthwhile challenge for the fiver entry.

Now, I may possibly run for a bus, but that's about it :smile:. How much am I going to suffer? :biggrin:

I think we're going to go out running a bit, but hopefully with cycling more and starting to play squash, will help keep my fitness up. I think a few other mates might join us....with the loser buying the first round and doing some type of penalty :biggrin:

Anyone else doing it?

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Am not doing it, but I am now back running again, albeit slowly..

Last year when I tried running, my legs would react in disgust and gave me alot of grief, they were just tooooo used to cycling. Since having a month off from cycling; due to being in Thailand for January, i've now started again running during my lunch hour whilst still doing my morning & evening commutes and taking it slowly for both while I am still adjusting, but my legs seem fine... ish... think maybe power walking too would helping to ease the legs back into that type of rythem rather than shock tactics.

Good luck however!

forty-two

Have a look a one of the running forums, there is palnty of advice and training plans to build up to a 5 or 10k,(6.25miles =10k) although most of them are 8 week programs.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
What Lee said (and Nick)

You could walk it at, say 4mph - 90 minutes, so it's just a question of how fast you choose to attempt it.
A pretty good club runner would do it in 36 minutes, so I reckon if you're young and fit and do a bit of training then around 50 minutes would be a good target.

Another thing to bear in mind is that it's a much nicer feeling to start slower and overtake lots towards the end than to blast off and feel like grim death in the last mile.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
mr Mag00 said:
how hard can it be??? LOL wait for the DOMS to kick in.

cycling/running worlds apart!

Yep, but if my hobby was eating Big Macs, rather than cycling I'd be at a disadvantage ;). At least I've got a bit of transferable fitness, even if the muscles are different.

NickM said:
And don't try and do it in clapped-out old trainers dug out from the bottom of a cupboard!

Got a new pair a month ago for playing squash with.

rich p said:
What Lee said (and Nick)

Another thing to bear in mind is that it's a much nicer feeling to start slower and overtake lots towards the end than to blast off and feel like grim death in the last mile.

Yep, I don't think any of us are that serious about shooting off. Probably do a mild jog and then all sprint the last bit to try and win :biggrin:. Target is around an hour.

About to go for a run with a few people...we'll see how it goes :bicycle:

mr Mag00

rising member
Yep, but if my hobby was eating Big Macs, rather than cycling I'd be at a disadvantage ;). At least I've got a bit of transferable fitness, even if the muscles are different.
i am sure i will got shot down for this. running is sooooo much harder cardiovascular wise and any amount of cycling fitness will not make up for running fitness. running is a constant cardio workout. do not rely on teh cycling fines is all i am saying. I too am a cery regualr cyclist and I too thought i would eb able to run as I used to in my teens. its is such a different thing. take the advice or take teh pain be my guest :bicycle:.
An hour would be a good target good luck and raise lots of money

thomas said:
Got a new pair a month ago for playing squash with.

you should NOT be using the same pair of shoes for squash and running, they're two completely different sports with different supportcushioning requirements! ;)

:bicycle:

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
trustysteed said:
you should NOT be using the same pair of shoes for squash and running, they're two completely different sports with different supportcushioning requirements! ;)

:bicycle:

pfft. I'm not paying tonnes of money for lots of different trainers.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Saw a friend of mine last night who told me she's given up booze for a month in an attempt to get fitter. Turns out the reason why is that another friend of hers talked her into entering the Great North Run with her - over a bottle of wine a couple of weeks ago. I think she wishes she'd given up the booze before that...

I second the idea that cycling fitness doesn't equate to running. I have trouble jogging more than 500 yards at a time without stopping for breath.

Top Bottom