Rusting BB Shell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harril

Hello all, I need your help. I noticed some rust on the bottom bracket shell on my Dawes Galaxy and I'm wondering how bad it is. Is it just cosmetic or something more serious? Should I replace the whole thing or just clean it up? Here are some pictures of the rust. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20230409_165830551.jpg
    PXL_20230409_165830551.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20230409_165953146.jpg
    PXL_20230409_165953146.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20230409_170133618.jpg
    PXL_20230409_170133618.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 35

Ajax Bay

Guru
"I noticed some rust" Should have gone to Specsavers!
Looks pretty rough. Not sure what you mean by "replace the whole thing". A new frame seems drastic.
I would work back on the paint/rust boundary till I got to metal (as opposed to a metal oxide surface) and then go to town with Hammerite Kurust and then further cosmetic measures.
The BB therein will be fine: I'd leave it be.
I'd also replace the screw securing the cable guide plate.
And while you're at it, I recommend removing and refitting the mudguard on the chainstay bridge; and removing all the chain rings and giving them a good clean and maybe a replacement set of chainring bolts.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
Hello all, I need your help. I noticed some rust on the bottom bracket shell on my Dawes Galaxy and I'm wondering how bad it is. Is it just cosmetic or something more serious? Should I replace the whole thing or just clean it up? Here are some pictures of the rust. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

That rust on the outside is ugly but cosmetic, the real question is what are the threads like on the inside.

You have a dilemma. If they're starting to rust, the sooner you get in there and deal with it the better your chance of saving the threads before there's nothing left of them. On the other hand, if they're already rusted away, and it's only the rust holding it together, removing the BB to inspect it will leave you either writing off the frame or salvaging it with a threadless BB cartridge.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Before putting a lot of effort into a neglected bike it would be worth checking everything else so you can get a complete picture of what needs to be done to bring it up to the standard you want.

Seatpost stuck?
Condition of tyres, rims and bearings?
Any damage?

You could do a complete respray and bring it back to a very good condition, or wire brush off the rust and use hammerite to have a daily bike, or sell it cheaply to someone who would enjoy doing it up.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like the corrosion has been going on for quite a while underneath the paint, you can see it breaking out on the other side. The BB metal is pretty thick but you need to look at those chain stays, the metal is much thinner there and could rust through making the frame junk. Seat tube needs looking at too.
If you can find a frame in good condition I'd go for it.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I would use a toothbrush size wire brush to remove the crap and paint in Hamerite or Red Oxide. Remove the BB and wire brush the threads along the grain and gease up. Then ride it.

OP
OP
Harril

Harril

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to thank you all for your helpful advice and tips on how to deal with a severely rusted bottom bracket shell. I really appreciate your time and input.

I haven't had this bike for very long and I only noticed the rust when I was cleaning it the other day. I bought it from a chap who said he had stored it in his garage for a few years. I guess I should have checked it more carefully before buying it. It's a shame because I was hoping to use it for some long-distance touring in the summer, and I had bought it to replace an older Galaxy that my LBS had recently condemned due to a collision.

Anyway, I'm going to try some of the suggestions you gave me and see if it can be recovered.

OP
OP
Harril

Harril

Hi all, An update and seeking further advice if possible. I've added a few more pictures of the horrors that were discovered. The BB threads seem ok after a clean up, but I'm finding lots of patches on other parts of the frame that are starting to concern me. Is this frame safe or should I start to think about scrapping it? TIA.

PXL_20230915_141835201.jpg

PXL_20230916_093930043.jpg

PXL_20230916_093506371.jpg

PXL_20230911_145221738.jpg

PXL_20230911_143253918.jpg

PXL_20230911_145216447.jpg

PXL_20230911_140940413.jpg

Chris S

Legendary Member
Hi all, An update and seeking further advice if possible. I've added a few more pictures of the horrors that were discovered. The BB threads seem ok after a clean up, but I'm finding lots of patches on other parts of the frame that are starting to concern me. Is this frame safe or should I start to think about scrapping it? TIA.

It doesn't look any worse than the bike I ride daily. It won't get any worse now that the paint has come off.

Jameshow

Veteran
I know a garage which leaves mini shells outside to rust in order to reduce weight for racing!!

I'd treat with rust treatment and then epoxy paint.

Big John

Guru
I have one that looked like this when it came into my possession. I stripped all the paint off, wire brushed the rust off with an attachment on a chordless drill and painted it with green hammerite. One coat might not be enough but once it's done the bike should be fine. Mine rides like a dream. I'm a big fan of steel 👍

Top Bottom